Thread: Wasilla Meat and Tannery place?

Default Wasilla Meat and Tannery place?

I have a caribou to take in this morning. I'm looking to get some hunters sticks and sausage made. Who does a good job for this in the Wasilla area?

Also, I have the hide that I'm going to get tanned. Who does decent work in this area in Wasilla?

Thanks!
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Default Mat - Valley

Mat Valley meets over off the PWH in front of the bus barn.

Quote Originally Posted by GAredneck View Post
    Mat Valley meets over off the PWH in front of the bus barn.
    I second that they do a great job

Default Lisa from pioneer meats

Mile 49 parks Hwy in the mall. I had Mat-Valley meats do all kind of stuff last year but only like half of it.
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Another vote for Lisa at Pioneer Meats in the Pioneer Mall at Pittman. As for tanning, I can't really suggest anyone....the one in Anchorage (not named) ripped my caribou in half and did a horrible job sewing it back up. We ship all our stuff out now.
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

I've had good luck with both Pioneer Meats and MatValley Meats in the past and would use either again. Make sure you call ahead to Pioneer Meats. Last time I had a winter 'bou I had to get her to open up to process it.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

mat valley meat does all my stuff. and trophy tanning and taxidermy does all my tanning. Tims his name, tell him jake sent you over there. he does alot of my clients bears and such.
    mat valley meats...get the terriyaki jerky sticks...ohhh geez or the jalepeno hot dogs...oh my..i'll bring you some hot dogs this april!!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default Thanks all!!

Appreciate the input all! I'm sending my wife over to Mat Valley Meats and the hide to Trophy Tanning and Taxidermy.

If they do a great job, I'll stick with them. If it's just an okay job, I'll try Pioneer next time.

This is the hard part about moving to a new area of the state.... gotta relearn everything you knew with meat and taxidermy work... I had Kenai figured out...

Jake, I'm holding you too the hot dogs in April! I'll have the grill going!

Claude

Default +1 for Trophy

Another vote for Trophy Tanning and Taxidermy.
    Tim VandenToorn at 745-6186 located by 3 Bears off of Green Forest Dr.
    He has done alot of work for myself and friends, plus everything is done locally.
    I would also recommend Lisa at Pioneer meats, NOT Mat-Valley!
    BK

Pioneer meats is the only valley butcher that gives you your own meat back, no mixing others meat to make your sausage or wieners etc. A friend dropped off 440 pounds of moose at Mat-valley with orders to save the bones, the bones were thrown away and he got two boxes of meat back, a whole 80 pounds. This moose must have went on a diet hmmm.

Default Mat valley meats

My wife says they use to much liquid smoke in their sausage. I don't know Little strong on the smoke flavor though from the moose and caribou we had done. We had Mikes in eagle river do moose this year that won't happen again. Ground ost of it into burger I took the moose in Halved dowm the back bone. We got no roasts, few steaks, and 4 boxes of burger. 20 lb of polish sausage was OK.

Tanning I have had done outside at a place called Tanning unlimited in Missouri I believe

http://www.411web.com/T/TANNINGUNLIMITED/Product.htm

They have done numerous beaver, fox, wolf, coyote, and caribou they do a great job and are reasonable on pricing go to their website and check them out
    Wars may be fought with weapons, but they are won by men. It is the spirit of men who follow and of the man who leads that gains the victory.
    - General George S. Patton

I dropped off 400 lbs of meat and actually had a gain at MatValley because of some of the additives (fat,etc.) from the sausage and grind I had done. Of course, mine was boned and trimmed already.

Pioneer had better pepper sticks, but I though the terriaki sticks at MatValley were better.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

pioneer meats is the only way too go,thats if you want your own meat,when valley meats first opened there doors they were great,but over time they grew to big too fast,and the quality went down....
    I ♥ Big Sheep

Default Mat Valley

I took it into Mat Valley Meats. Had half summer sausage and half breakfast sausage made. It is EXCELLENT! I appreciate all of your input for this. It was toss up from your reponses. Thanks to all that offered advice.

Claude