Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: visiting "critters"

Talking visiting "critters"

What kind of 4-legged critters have paid ya'll a visit at your cabin over the years? Last september, my wife said, "someone is on the deck". Waking from a deep sleep, i heard firewood rolling of the deck. I krept down the loft stairs ( 44 mag. In hand) & peeked out the window. there he was,at the foot of the steps, a 3 1/2 yr. Old bull moose. Woulda-shoulda-coulda! Would i shoot it, heck yea! Should i shoot it, heck yea, can't get any easier. Could i shoot it,....no! Now, if i "would have" gotten a "community tag", instead of a "harvest tag", it would have been a done deal, as he was not "legal" otherwise. Imagine, pictures of your harvested moose at your door step! couldn't get any closer to the fry'n pan!! Anyhow, i swung the door open, he raised his head & turned all in one motion,& ran in to the woods, with our black lab barking profusely from the loft. i'm going back to bed!

LS

Thumbs up

Bears, Brown and Black
    Moose
    Martins
    Squirrels
    Wolves
    Coyotes
    Fox's
    Ermine's
    Porquipine's

Very near but not in the yard:
    Beavers
    Minks
    Otters

Some tasted good.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

The usual Alaskan animals for me also - nothing too strange to report except this one....

I stepped off the porch last summer an a red fox was standing not 15 feet away. Nothing too unusual about that as we see a lot of foxes. However, it then started barking at me like a dog, except in its high-pitched fox bark, for 10 seconds before trotting away.

Besides the almost 9' brown bear in the back of my truck (his nose was at the front of my 8' bed and his tail was at the tail gate) , and the black bear playing with our swing set, the best thing to ever visit us was a flying squirrel on Christmas Eve. He hung around for hours and even watched us through one of the windows
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

We've had ermine in our arctic entry..those things are fearless!!

Moose licking the road grime off the vehicles from top to bottom!!

A fox right outside our bedroom window that barked at the outdoor cat until the cat chased it away!

Owls perched in trees right next to the house hoot-howling in the middle of the night..

marten stealing jelly off of old toast on our front deck..

lots of downy and pileated woodpeckers, grouse, soul chickens, gray jays..and a few pine grosbeaks..

loud and destructive squirrels who seem to know that they are safe when my wife is home...

brown bears down below the hill near the house chewing on gas cans..

a juvenile wolf in the middle of my dogyard at 3 AM...got out there and it took off before it had a chance to gobble any dogs...

coyotes and fox prowling the edge of the dog yard in the middle of the night...

Default visiting critters

.......... we had just hooked up the stove to the cabin & fired it up. it worked just fine. we went to bed that evening, and right when we were about to doze off we heard this loud "ding". thought, what the heck was that!? the sound came from the roof. decided to wait till morning to investigate. got up next morning & walked around the cabin & there on the ground was a large red headed "woodpecker", dead here he had flown into the stainless steel asbestos chimney pipe. hadn't been up one day! hit it so hard that he put a dent in it!! anyhow, love your stories. keep them coming!!!!

LS

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by cabinfields View Post
    .......... we had just hooked up the stove to the cabin & fired it up. it worked just fine. we went to bed that evening, and right when we were about to doze off we heard this loud "ding". thought, what the heck was that!? the sound came from the roof. decided to wait till morning to investigate. got up next morning & walked around the cabin & there on the ground was a large red headed "woodpecker", dead here he had flown into the stainless steel asbestos chimney pipe. hadn't been up one day! hit it so hard that he put a dent in it!! anyhow, love your stories. keep them coming!!!!

LS
    Hmmm....now you have me thinking of putting up a Stainless Steel Mirror on the side of the cabin, for those times I am not around.
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

All that stuff and:
    10 or 12 bats in the house last summer, don't know where they come from or how they get in, never had them in 9 years till last summer. I didn’t even know there were bats in Alaska till they decided to move into my house last summer.

Shrews every dang winter, I like bugging the wife with them.

Had a links around a couple winters ago that the wife’s cat hated.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

We get lots of black bear traffic in the summer. Had a weasel on the doorstep the other day. Dog hit a porcupine last year; had to get the pliers out for that one. Bald eagles hanging around all the time. Sometimes moose tracks in the neighborhood, but they're pretty elusive around here.
    "– Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

Default Critters

We have lots of great horned owls in september! They leave their regurgitated "hare" balls on the deck from the night before! I call them in when i hear them at night. 4 hoots, (whoo-whoo, (pause)1 sec. Followed by whoo (pause)1 sec.& whoo.that is a male i believe. The female is whoo-whoo (pause 1 sec) whoo again (pause 1 sec)& a slow whoo-whoo. Male -4 whoos, female 5 whoos. Sounds corny but i have wife & friends as witnesses. You have to remain still & silent! It's fun. nobody said i was sain.

Ls

We have alot of Great Grays around our place, mostly in late winter early spring. I too have spent many evenings listening to them communicate with each other as they fly around on nightly hunting forays. Lots of fun to listen too. They seem to be able to cover alot of ground in a short time.

This is a kinda funny thread, I have a story that can top most.

I was sitting at the cabin one day and looked out the back window and from under one of the out buildings leeps this cat ( big gray and white) at a bird, but it has a tail. Mind you the nearest person around me is 5 mile's away, thinking to myself what was that?

I'm going ok this is just a freak lynx,

Then two day's later I see him again, and it's a house cat gone wild, don't ask me how he got out there. ( he's BIG,lol )

Anyway to make a long story short, I feed him for two year's inbetween trips, and even got him to get in the house when I left the dor open, as long as I was outside. He would go in about 5' where I put some food at, but would always keep an eye on me.

I had to go to work out of town for over a year, and right before I got back my brother found him dead in front of one of the building's.

One tough cat, I have a lot of story's from that two year's with that cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_skipper View Post
    This is a kinda funny thread, I have a story that can top most.

I was sitting at the cabin one day and looked out the back window and from under one of the out buildings leeps this cat ( big gray and white) at a bird, but it has a tail. Mind you the nearest person around me is 5 mile's away, thinking to myself what was that?

I'm going ok this is just a freak lynx,

Then two day's later I see him again, and it's a house cat gone wild, don't ask me how he got out there. ( he's BIG,lol )

Anyway to make a long story short, I feed him for two year's inbetween trips, and even got him to get in the house when I left the dor open, as long as I was outside. He would go in about 5' where I put some food at, but would always keep an eye on me.

I had to go to work out of town for over a year, and right before I got back my brother found him dead in front of one of the building's.

One tough cat, I have a lot of story's from that two year's with that cat.
    I had one like that show up at my place in Arizona. Dang smart and tough critter to live there with all the coyotes that live off pet cats! I wanted to tame him and spent about 8 months getting him in the bathroom that had a door to the outside. My big plan was to use a string from 100" away to drop a counter weight that would slam the door shut before he could get out . . . a very bad idea in hind sight!

Door slammed, cat went NUTS, you would have thought there was a pack of lion battling a hippo in there! Stupid stubern me, no way was I opening that door thinking he will run out of gas and calm down soon. So I stand there looking in the window thinking the wife is gonna kill me when she sees what this little cat is doing to 'her' master bathroom. This seemed to go on for an eternity and I’m thinking “how can he still be going?” when he slammed into the window for about the tenth time but this time he’d launched himself at it from the light fixture and out he came right past my face. I had to pretty much remodel that bathroom and I didn’t make any points with the wife or the cat. I never saw cat after that, I think he’d had enough of my games.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

I had the same thing happen at our hunting cabin. I put in some new stove pipe and a pretty big woodpecker came a long and kept me and misses up with is banging.

Default Visiting Critters

A sow with three cubs awoke us one morning at the cabin.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default I wish I were in Alaska

But for now I'm stuck in the wine country of Temecula California.
    We have lots of rabbits , which I like because it keeps th cyote population visiting all the time ,and I love their song . Of course It realy pissis of the neighbors cause they do it right under their bed room window at about mid night every time they get a rabbit. Also we get hawks and owls and every other bird here feeding on the land. I have seed for the small birds ,and they keep the insect population in check. Bee hives keep us in honey, and some day I hope to raise talapia (fish) in a pond . I know it will atract more critters , but it is as close to living in the mountains or the wilderness as I can for the moment.
    What's fun is having thesse animals so comfortable with us that they wonder around us like pets almost , knowing we are not a threat.
    ONe nite I came home and a rabbit was in my path in my drive way ( ride a Yamaha Vstar 650 motorcycle) I expected it to move out of the way but it just sat there, so I stopped the bike right next to it .put my foot down next to it , pet it for a moment , It still didn't move so Being gloved I felt safe picking it up , I looked her over no marks eyes were clear and bright couldn't figure out why the animal was so passive, so i set her down and gave her a little push on the behind and finished the distance up to the house and went in and got a carrot , took it out side and gave it to her but she wasn't all that hungry . no idea !
    the humming birds are really brave, , they not only get in your face like a fly, but wonder between my leggs like I'm a tree. When animals trust you it is hard to resist their attention.
    On a different note, Fish are funny too, I worked at two different marinas in Big Bear lake Calif. Often things fell in the water and would volinteer to go in after them . Under water , fish are not afraid of you at all as a matter of fact they are very currious about you, and really get in your face when you are trying to work, and the little blue gill or sun fish nip at you , I often have to wear a full suit because of the tempretures ,the lower you go the colder it gets, but it keeps the little nippers off too.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Arleigh View Post
    But for now I'm stuck in the wine country of Temecula California.
    We have lots of rabbits , which I like because it keeps th cyote population visiting all the time ,and I love their song . Of course It realy pissis of the neighbors cause they do it right under their bed room window at about mid night every time they get a rabbit. Also we get hawks and owls and every other bird here feeding on the land. I have seed for the small birds ,and they keep the insect population in check. Bee hives keep us in honey, and some day I hope to raise talapia (fish) in a pond . I know it will atract more critters , but it is as close to living in the mountains or the wilderness as I can for the moment.
    What's fun is having thesse animals so comfortable with us that they wonder around us like pets almost , knowing we are not a threat.
    ONe nite I came home and a rabbit was in my path in my drive way ( ride a Yamaha Vstar 650 motorcycle) I expected it to move out of the way but it just sat there, so I stopped the bike right next to it .put my foot down next to it , pet it for a moment , It still didn't move so Being gloved I felt safe picking it up , I looked her over no marks eyes were clear and bright couldn't figure out why the animal was so passive, so i set her down and gave her a little push on the behind and finished the distance up to the house and went in and got a carrot , took it out side and gave it to her but she wasn't all that hungry . no idea !
    the humming birds are really brave, , they not only get in your face like a fly, but wonder between my leggs like I'm a tree. When animals trust you it is hard to resist their attention.
    On a different note, Fish are funny too, I worked at two different marinas in Big Bear lake Calif. Often things fell in the water and would volinteer to go in after them . Under water , fish are not afraid of you at all as a matter of fact they are very currious about you, and really get in your face when you are trying to work, and the little blue gill or sun fish nip at you , I often have to wear a full suit because of the tempretures ,the lower you go the colder it gets, but it keeps the little nippers off too.
    All this sounds waaaaaay cool for Calif. But if you make it ups this way, please leave your habits at home. Habituated critters in Alaska always end up the same way. DEAD.
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

hes right.....but man i do wish coyotes would get close to my house.....id be out there every nite with a call and my .243 singing with em.

Release Lake Trout

I have a mentally challenged woodpecker that gives my metal roof a hammering from time to time. Sounds like a mini A-10 doing a gun run.

Last winter, got bored and smoked up some fish in the drive way, left the smoker there over night after I finished. Woke the next morning to find fox scat on my deck (well away from where the smoker was) and all around the smoker. Guess the fox was trying to tell me something..........................

Woke one morning at 3 am to the dog barking and a thumping sounds on the side of the cabin. Got up to investigate, and found a moose scratching it's butt on the corner of the cabin. In the beam of the flashlight, the moose looked at me at if to say, "What? You'd do it too if you didn't have opposing thumbs and couldn't scratch your butt with your fingers."

[QUOTE=upstream;685265]I have a mentally challenged woodpecker that gives my metal roof a hammering from time to time. Sounds like a mini A-10 doing a gun run.

....lol- that's great-
    -a "mentally challenged" woodpecker... I like that!
    ....a well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast