Thread: Brown Bears

Cool Brown Bears

Has anyone here ever hunted in unit 16B for brown bear's? I'm going in May and trying to plain it all out and the best area to be in, but I have never been there before, so I need some help. I have been to Dillingham for brown's. Any info will help, thanks.

Thumbs up

Armando,
    With you being a new member, I could not PM or message you as requested. But with the exception of the base of the Yentna Glacier of the places previously mentioned, Mid May is a week late, normally. My guess is this year it might be two weeks late, due to lack of snow and unseasonally warmer weather. Anyway, you will still find a few bears at the base of the glacier on the moose. They will likely be closer to the moraine, as they follow the moose back up, as the snow melts. All the higher elevation places, the bears will for the most part be off of. Within a few days of coming out of their dens, they head to the river drainages and flats, to pick off the moose. Landing in the higher country by mid May is iffy at best, other than early mornings. I have no idea, if your schedule is rigid or not, but 10-20 April is a real good time frame for many reasons, like access, locations and fewer rubbed hides. Good Luck
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Armando
    How was your hunting trip to the Dillingham area?

Dillingham was fun, learned a lot. I didnt get a bear, only saw one, went to late in the season.

Default Define "too late"

When did you go, pls? j

Quote Originally Posted by jklingel View Post
    When did you go, pls? j
    Mid Oct. and the wealther was suckie.

Quote Originally Posted by armandodiaz22 View Post
    Mid Oct. and the wealther was suckie.
    Surely the weather wasn't bad in October I thought the sun is always shining here in DLG. Seriously, I remember being in the field in mid October and I thought I was going to be blown off the mountain I was using as a vantage point. September 15-30 is much better IMO. I hope you have better success this spring.

Default understood

Mid-October likely would be ugly. Thanks. We are headed that way this spring. j

I've taken a few browns in 16B, and blacks as well. PM me with any specifics and I can help anyway I can.