Thread: titan 589 M/T

Default titan 589 M/T

Hi, I just signed up for the forum today at the advice from a friend. I am looking at putting new Titan 589 tires on my 02 , 660 grizzly. They sell them at diversified tire in Wasilla. The grizz comes stock with 25/10/12 tires on the back and 25/8/12 on the front. I am thinking of going to a 26 or 27 inch. Any advice/comments on these tires.

I want the extra height for ground clearance in the snow/mud and the heavy paddle for grip. I mainly use this machine on my own property and tow a trailer with wood. Not concerned about top speed, need pulling power, groundf clearance and traction

thanks
    spike

Quote Originally Posted by spikeinc View Post
    Hi, I just signed up for the forum today at the advice from a friend. I am looking at putting new Titan 589 tires on my 02 , 660 grizzly. They sell them at diversified tire in Wasilla. The grizz comes stock with 25/10/12 tires on the back and 25/8/12 on the front. I am thinking of going to a 26 or 27 inch. Any advice/comments on these tires.

I want the extra height for ground clearance in the snow/mud and the heavy paddle for grip. I mainly use this machine on my own property and tow a trailer with wood. Not concerned about top speed, need pulling power, groundf clearance and traction

thanks
    spike
    Welcome to the site Spike. I've never run a set of those so I can't help you there. However, you might try and surf the highlifter forum also. Here is a couple of pages that came up when I did a search for Titan 589 MT...

http://forum.highlifter.com/search.a...tan%20589%20mt

Hope that helps.

I am pretty sure you won't be able to run the 27's on your griz but you should have no problem going up to twentysixers. The 589's have a good following but they are heavier than the more common ITP mudlights which means they will steal more power but be more durable.

Smile 27's on a 660

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I am pretty sure you won't be able to run the 27's on your griz but you should have no problem going up to twentysixers. The 589's have a good following but they are heavier than the more common ITP mudlights which means they will steal more power but be more durable.
    Why would you not be able to run 27's on a Griz 660?

Quote Originally Posted by JetPow View Post
    Why would you not be able to run 27's on a Griz 660?
    Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    LuJon is correct. The gearing on the Grizzly 660 is such that a clutch kit is required for tires over 26 inches, especially tires as heavy as the 589s. You can run 27 inch tires on the Grizzly 700 because Yamaha improved the clutch when they went to the 700 platform. You will need to stick with 26 inch tires for the Grizzly 660. There are a ton of tires out there that folks like and this is probably one of the most confusing and contested issues when upgrading things on your ATV.

I went with 26x10x12 (front) and 26x12x12 (rear) on stock wheels on my old 2003 Grizzly 660 and had zero issues. I went with the ITP Mudlites because the 589s rob too much power because of the weight. You might want to look at a few other tires that are just as good or better than the 589s.

Here a list of a few tires I would recommend looking at. All tires have their pluses and minuses but generally, these tires have a good reputation.

Interco Swamp Lite
    Interco Vampire
    PitBull Rocker
    PitBull Growler
    Maxxis Mudbug
    Maxxis Zilla
    ITP Mud Lite XTR
    ITP Mudlite XL
    GBC Gator
    GBC Grim Reaper
    GBC Spartacus

I have personally seen the 589s, Swamp Lites, Mudbugs, Mud Lite XTRs, and Mudlite XLs in action and would take any of them over the 589s. The 589s ride like tractor tires at low speeds. The other tires listed go through the mud just as good and go other places (hard pack trails, rocks, etc) better than the 589s.

The PitBull tires are new and some sizes are not even out of production yet so they will not be found in Alaska (no dealer listed on their website). So excluding them, the tire that I have been impressed with the most up here in Alaska is the Interco Swamp Lite. I have a buddy that had them on his Grizzly 700 and he never had to use 4x4 anywhere. These tires crawl through anything! He is currently swapping them out for a new set of the PitBull Rockers. He will be the first person in Alaska to get to test them out so he or I will post a review as soon as we get them out on the trail.

Go take a look at this web page. http://www.mudthrowers.com/atv_mud_tires Tons of tires to look at but pay attention to the charts on the right side of the page. They will tell you a lot about tire choices folks have made over the last couple years.

Like I said, tire choice is a hotly contested subject among ATV owners. It's probably the most contested issue out there other an brand of ATV you choose to ride. Everyone has an opinion and you just heard mine...

By the way, I am a moderator of a Yamaha Grizzly forum with over 7,000 members. The information above was derived from my own experiences (been an avid ATVer in Alaska since 1997) and what I have learned from my forum members over the last 3 years.
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660
    2007 Yamaha Grizzly 700 SE w/EPS
    http://www.grizzlycentral.com/

2007 Yamaha Rhino 660

Default ITP 589 M/S or Titan 589 M/T

These are not the same tire so I'd suggest making sure you're getting comparative information on the tire that you're looking at. ITP 589's are NOT the same as Titan 589's.

Here is a link to a website that posts the weights of most of the tires that you've been told about and on the ITP section if you select the Mudlites it has a comparison.

http://www.mud-throwers.com/atv_mud_tires

I love my ITP 589's M/S!!!! ITP 589's run small so you would be able to put 27's on your machine without a lift. I have 27's on my Ranger and their true world measurement is 25.5 to 26" depending on air pressure.

Good luck with your choice.

Quote Originally Posted by 1S1K View Post
    ITP 589's run small so you would be able to put 27's on your machine without a lift.
    Spacing for the 27 inch tires on the Grizzly 660 is not the issue. You can run 28 inch tires without a lift kit as far as spacing goes. It come down to a clutching issue. Taller tires equal a taller gear ratio and more rolling mass. Weight comes into play as well. If you go with anything larger than a 26 inch tire on the Grizzly 660 you will want to add a clutch kit to gain back the significant power lost. Yamaha had many complaints on the weak clutch springs on the Grizzly 660 so they improved the clutch when they started making the Grizzly 700. You can run 27 inch tires without needing a clutch kit or lift kit on the Grizzly 700. Anything more and you will need to add a clutch to the 700 also.
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660

Default Swamp Lites

I ordered a set of Swamp Lites and wheels from mudthrowers.com two weeks ago after AKMuddy's post. They arrived today and I can't wait to go riding with these buddies. I used the Carlile freight option mentioned on here and for $72, I had my tires in 5 days. All said and done, 4 great tires and wheels for less than $625. $300 less than quoted at our local pro shop. I'll let you know how well they ride once I get out with them.

Quote Originally Posted by cessna_ak View Post
    I ordered a set of Swamp Lites and wheels from mudthrowers.com two weeks ago after AKMuddy's post. They arrived today and I can't wait to go riding with these buddies. I used the Carlile freight option mentioned on here and for $72, I had my tires in 5 days. All said and done, 4 great tires and wheels for less than $625. $300 less than quoted at our local pro shop. I'll let you know how well they ride once I get out with them.
    Cool, looking forward to a review once you get them out on the trail.
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660

Exclamation 27" tire Issue

HI all

I have a 2004 Grizz 660 with 27" tires and it does fine except. DO NOT JUMP THE ATV OR YOU WILL SNAP AN AXLE. Trust me, It only took me two axle to learn. Well, I picked up the machine with a Broken axle, replaced it, kid jumped it off of a driveway while riding down the side of the road and SNAP. I even went to the monster axle the first time. They break right a the rear diff. Was not kids fault. Just another tip, I purchased the axle off of ebay and got the best price.

Thanks for all the input. I ended up with the 589 titans because I traded the straight up for some truck tires and rims that were taking up room in my garage. I went with the 27". The grip is exceptional in the snow, but the clutch will definitely be an issue. It seems the belt is starting to slip. It ius the original belt 02'. I know nothing about clutches and will have to pay someone to do it. Any advice on what to buy, where to buy it, and who to install it?

thanks spike

Do a google search for "Grizzly Central Forums". I am a moderator over there. It is the largest dedicated Grizzly ATV web forum on the planet. It's free to become a member. Ask your question over there and you will get good "do it yourself" info. Good luck!
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660

thanks
    spike
    I have been running Titan 589's on my 00 Grizz 600 and now have put them on my 06 Grizz 660 with no problems. The tires were placed on stock rims in both cases, with no modifications. I have thought of clutching the 06 but have not found a place where I really needed it.
    -Caleb-

Thanks for all the input. I ended up with the 589 titans because I traded the straight up for some truck tires and rims that were taking up room in my garage. I went with the 27". The grip is exceptional in the snow, but the clutch will definitely be an issue. It seems the belt is starting to slip. It ius the original belt 02'. I know nothing about clutches and will have to pay someone to do it. Any advice on what to buy, where to buy it, and who to install it?

thanks spike
    Sorry didnt read all the way to the top. I would just try a new belt and see what you think. If you are not satisfied, well then maybe try a clutch kit. I am not really sure as to which one to get, I am pretty sure Yamaha can direct you there.
    -Caleb-

thanks
    spike

I just signed up too.. I have a yamaha grizzly 660 for the first time!!!

http://www.yamaha660grizzly.com

Default Swamp Lites

"Consumer Review" I have run a pair of these on the front of one of my six wheelers since last July. Great ride, descent in most mud conditions, however they are not a great mud tire, On a trip late last fall end of Oct, when the mud was really thick and half froze they were totally worthless. My son drug me half way up the mountain on a rig sporting ITP 589's wich were cleaning out just fine. But all in all a good tire just not a mud tire.

Thumbs up Totan 589's

We have the Titan 589's on both of our AC 500's. One of the best upgrades that we could have done. I am not sure how the stock tires would have done as we changed them out when we got the machines. The down side is that you does NOT want to spin them in the mud if you are stuck. They tend to dig! Yes they are heavy but I feel that the weight is worth the security of the tires.
    Everyones driving is different.

There is plenty of power on a 660 Grizzly to run 28" 589 M/S tires. I've been running those since I bought the beast in 2002. For thick mud or sand, I do usually put her in low gear though.