Thread: New Vise

Default New Vise

I have been tying flies for 3 years now, and I think I probably need to get a new vise. The one I have been using all this time is a $20 vise from Fred Meyer, and I cannot stand using it anymore. Anything over about a size 4 will slip because it cannot grip it good enough, and anything under about 16 is impossible to tie, too. I have never used a rotary vise, so I dont know tf that is the way to go. Anyone have any reccommendations on a good quality vise that is not a pain to work on? Preffered features would be:
    Able to hold sizes varying from 20 to 2/0
    Good clamping power
    Under ~$150
    Any help is greatly appreciated.

A good buddy of mine got a Renzetti a few years back and raves about it. Don't tie myself, but thought I would atleast pass on his suggestion. Below is a link to the model he got. Looks pretty close to what you were asking for also. Quite versatile.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...questid=216514
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

The vice TradBow suggested is a great buy. As a second option, I'd recommend the Anvil Apex. I've loved mine, and have tied 24s to 7/0s with no problems. It also comes with a pedestal and a c-clamp base, which is a nice bonus. I really like using a pedestal, even at my home bench.

You might find a better deal elsewhere... but regardless it'll run you $90 to $100ish.
    http://www.fishusa.com/Anvil-Apex-Fl...ource=googleps

Both vices are made in USA, have a lifetime warranty, and would give you years of solid use.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    A good buddy of mine got a Renzetti a few years back and raves about it. Don't tie myself, but thought I would atleast pass on his suggestion. Below is a link to the model he got. Looks pretty close to what you were asking for also. Quite versatile.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...questid=216514
    hmmm... that's a nice looking option for a rotary.

One thing I'll say about the Griffin and Anvil is neither is a true rotary, but of course you've never used a rotary so wouldn't know what you're missing either way.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyo2AK View Post
    One thing I'll say about the Griffin and Anvil is neither is a true rotary, but of course you've never used a rotary so wouldn't know what you're missing either way.
    Very good point, and partial rotary is better than none.

I think I will probably end up getting the Anvil Apex, though their Atlas vise looks really nice too.

Thanks for everyones help.

spend $160 get the renzetti traveler cam. Bought mine when I was 11 replaced it with a nor vise when I was 21, still bring it to the bush
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

That Nor-Vise Monkey mentions is slick as a handrail in a whore house. I saw the inventor at The Flyfishing Show and that is one bad azz vise. Something that make take some getting used to, but after the learning curve, I bet that thing rocks. Almost bought one myself after watching him use it at the show.

http://www.nor-vise.com/
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Talking Take 'em all

Tempting collection of vises - all of em.

Pros/Cons:
    1. Griffin 2A: Best value. Simple, foolproof jaw mechanism; holds tight. Mine hasn't faded. Offers pedestal AND clamp bases (like the Anvil). Travels very well.
    2. Anvil Apex: Excellent value with excellent features especially rotation, which can make tying some flies much simpler. Both bases included!
    3. Renzetti - or DynaKing ... dream vises in my book. Barring catastrophic loss of my current vises , won't ever need one unfortunately.
    4. Nor-Vise: Slick indeed - as Dan says. Watch the videos (http://www.nor-vise.com/multimedia/video.htm) to see this machine in action. The vise and key accessories will be spendy, and the vise takes up a larger space than other vises, but... it can sure crank out some flies! My favorite trick still is watching him tying with peacock herl, ala Prince Nymph. It's not a portable vise at all and each of those automatic bobbins has to be loaded (not bad if you use an electric drill with attachment). Mr. Norlander is at the Great Alaskan Sportsmen Show every year - and I see he's booked (April 8-11) again this year.

Quite a collection of suggestions.
    Have fun.

Any of those listed will work for you, if you want rotary though either Renzetti, Dyna King or Nor is the way to go. I have a Renzetti Traveler and have used it and abused it for the past 3 years now with no end in sight. I tied on Cabelas vises before and each one would last me about 2-3 months before the jaws would wear out and wouldnt hold a hook.

Anvil Atlas
    Anvil Atlas
    Anvil Atlas
    Did I mention the Anvil Atlas? For the life of me, I can't figure out why this is not a more popular vise. Got my 3 yrs ago and love it.

Default Nice Atlas Vise

That Anvil Atlas does look like a great vise for the money. I've been using the Anvil Quick Snips for years. They've increased my tying time because I never have to put down my scissors, they're always around my finger ready to work. They've come down in price a bit too from when I last bought them.
    http://anvilusa.com/Anvil_QuickSnip.htm

Dyna King, there is no other as far as I'm concerned. Extremely high quality, lots of accessories, and I don't mind them being over built. I can switch from salmon flies to 20's with little or no adjustment and hooks will never slip out, it's a serious vice. Worth the money, buy one for life.

http://www.dyna-king.com/
    River Runnin

I will 2nd that remark about dynaking, I own two. but they aint cheap!

I bought an Apex Anvil at flyfishingdicounters.com for 80.00 shipped and i love it. For the money you cant beat it. yes there are better out there but i dont need anything better than the Anvil. It does all i need it to.

Stupid Question time:
    What is a cam lock?
    Is there a major performance between pedestal base and c-clamp?
    Would a pedestal base be better for using the vise when traveling?

That Renzetti looks really nice (plus it can be bought locally).

I'm a big fan of HMH. I've been tying on the Spartan for years. It's in your price range I think. I like tying on a C-Clamp because I really like to put some pressure at times. You could find yourself in a hotel room with nothing that will fit the C-Clamp. A pedestal base takes up a little room on your desk and is a little heavier to transport. It's all about personal preference, most of the good ones do what they're supposed to.

The jaws on Dyna King are more like vise grips. C-clamp is like a screw type vise, it clamps to the end of a table. The problem is it isn't any good without a table or similar surface. A pedestal will go anywhere you can set it but they are bulkier and heavier than a clamp. They also aren't as stable because they don't lock down like c-clamps.
    River Runnin

Here is a good article on vises...

http://www.flyfisherman.com/content/best-vises

I consider myself a caual fly tier. That is I tie some and I buy some depending on how intricate they are. I tie on a Griffin Odyssey Spider Vise. This has been a really great vise for me. It will hold any hook I tie and hold it well. I don't think I've tied anything less than a size 14 and no larger than a 2/0. This is what I mean by casual as anything less than about a 14 I usually buy. I like to fish along the Denali Hwy so I buy some of the dry flies I use there. I have a vise at work on the north slope and one in with the rest of my fly fishing gear. Neither have ever let me down and I can really crank out Wolly Buggers, Zonkers, Sculpins, etc. They work equally well on a desk top or steam side. I don't have a desk top vise at home, other than my Spider, but if I did buy one it would probably be one of the Griffin Mongoose line.

http://www.griffinenterprisesinc.com/vises.html

Dan