Thread: Upper Russian Lake

Default Upper Russian Lake

Does or has anyone fished there? Any info would be appreciated

Default I've wondered that too

Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post
    Does or has anyone fished there? Any info would be appreciated
    Alaskacanoe has been up there camping and may have fished it, so you might ask him. The map says it has rainbows and dollies.

Smile upper Russian lakes

there was a few cabins on the lake [private ones ] I know they did ice fish when I was in there a couple of winters back, there should be fair amount of fish in the lake as water in, water out, with a good RED run an not a lot of people to fish it, I don't think F & G stocked it now, I don't tkink it gets a lot of pressure winter or summer

Upper Russian is a "jewel". It is far enough of of the beaten path that it does take some effort to get to but is it is worth it. Gin clear beautiful water. Resident rainbows and dollies that have a good food source which in turn means that they can get "big". Forest service cabin that you can rent that has a row boat. Lots and lots of brown bears in the area. Both trails to Upper Russian take you through avalanche country so keep this in mind if you decide to travel in the winter.

how many miles is it? is one way shorter than the other? is it wise to hike up there in summer?

Release Lake Trout

Coming from the trail over on the Seward side it is closer than coming from the Russian River trail. I'm having a brain lock but if I remember correctly it is like 8 miles versus 12 miles. Winter time travel is okay but like I said before just beware of the high country avalanche reports. Both trails are well built making summer travel easy if you do not mind the long distance that you have to travel.

Been up there when there were plenty of ptarmigan around up on top so that is something to keep in mind as well if you do a fall/winter trip.
    Last edited by iceblue; 03-01-2010 at 17:55. Reason: added sentence

from the seward side can you ride snowmachines at least part of the way in? always see guys snowmachining out of snug harbor road.....

Release Lake Trout

Yes on the snowmachines but would check with the refuge first.

I haven't hiked from the seward side but my hiking books says 9 miles. The other way I did this summer and it was 12. It's a fun mountain bike ride.