Thread: Removing case lube?

Question Removing case lube?

How does everyone remove the lube after sizing? I am using Hornady One Shot and RCBS Spray Lube. I find that by just wiping them after resizing doesn't get the lube off very well. I like to tumble prior to decapping because getting the media out of the primer pockets isn't fun, so tumbling is out. Anyone have luck with washing or soaking? Other ideas?

I switched to Imperial sizing wax, and that seems easier to get rid of. Sorry tumbling is out for you, because that my favorite way to do the job. On the plus side for the wax, there's so little of it on the cases that it never seems to degrade the tumbling medium like others do.

Paper towels works great. If doing more than 20-30 the tumbler comes on and I drink coffee.
    Tennessee

Sounds like maybe size then tumble, rather than tumble first, eh? What about tumbling primed cases? I'm guess that is a big no-no, but I haven't heard anyone say anything about it so I thought I'd ask.

Resize, then tumble, then pick the stuff out of the flash hole. I would never tumble a primed case as the flashhole could become plugged.
    Tennessee

I don't allow any oil base products to be part of my reloading process.

I've been using Lee water based resizing lubricant, with good results.

Spent rounds are decapped as soon as I return from the range.
    They are inspected, and then dumped into my home made vibrating bath.
    (occasionally necks may require a quick wipe with # 0000 steel wool to remove stubborn powder burns)
    After a four hour vibration bath in non treated corn husk media, cases can be hand wiped with a soft dry cloth and media removed from the flash hole.

For resizing, the Lee lubricant is applied sparingly by rolling on a lube pad. Case necks are dipped in dry mica and put through the sizing die. Once the batch is sized, all that is required to remove the sizing lubricant and trace mica, is wiping with a dry cloth, again.

Brass comes out clean and bright, with no residue.

PS - I built my own vibrating bath from items found in most households
    total parts cost @ $20.00
    JWB

Default Cleaning cases ....

I don't run dirty cases through my sizing dies. I pitch them in the tumbler first then size clean cases, then clean primer pockets with a carbide pocket uniforming tool. I also use the Imperial dry neck lube and it wipes off easily with the thick blue shop towels (auto parts stores have them).

I have unirversal decapping dies (which just deprime, not size) and sometimes use them to just decap a case, then tumble clean, then size as normal. I hate picking media out of the flash hole.

I take yesterdays clean cases from the tumbler and put todays fired cases in the tumbler, that way I always have something to do at the bench. I usually do batches of forty or fifty in rifle calibers so it's not a big work load at once.

The Imperial die wax is the best and easiest I have ever used, but if just neck sizing I will usually use the moly-disulfide dry neck lube. That is the cleanest stuff. I do a lot of necking and case forming and the Imperial wax lube is great for that.

Tonight I necked up, in one pass, 40 new Winchester 325 WSM cases to 375 using the Imperial wax, and trimmed them to 2.075", deburred the case mouth, and the flash hole. Then cleaned inside the neck with long cotton swabs and primed with Federal 215M primers and stuffed varying quantities of H4895 into them and various bullets, all ready to test at first light (high noon) on Friday. I was really dragging my feet and it took one hour and 15 minutes. Weighed every charge and have eight different loads.

While this was taking shape I had 40 Hornady 376 Steyr cases in the tumbler that had been fire formed to my 338 Brewer (376 Steyr necked to 338) 250 grains at 2600 fps, they'll be restuffed tomorrow night.

Life is good.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default OK JWB, I'll bite

How did you make a home vibrator/ cleaner for $20?

Dave

Default You asked

Dave,
    Check my latest posting.
    JWB

I need to buy or make another tumbler. Mine died....

I had a bunch of cases with way too much old RCBS roll lube all over them. So I threw them into a giant stock pot and boiled them in water for half an hour and then dried them in a strainer.

It did not work very well and the wife has no sense of humor about using her stock pot for such a chore.

Now the stock pot lives in the shop. They can travel at amazing speeds when thrown at you....

Smile Lube removal

The newer RCBS case lube is a water based lube just like K-Y Jelly and can be removed with a warm water bath.
    I use a spray lubricant sprayed on a coton cloth, rolling the cases in it. I use a spray on Canola cooking oil from Safeway food store. Works great and a major cost reduction,also my other half can use it for cooking in a pinch. I remove the sizing lube in a acetone bath (purchased from Home Depot). It dries quickly and doesn't leave a residue. It can be poured through a cotton cloth to remove debris and most oil, thereby making it reusable. When it does start leaving a residue, just discard and start over.
    It dries fast and leaves cases ready to prime. HINT; do it outside in the workshed and avoid skin contact; acetone has an unpleasant odor women don't like and will remove the natural oils from your hands as well as fiberglass.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
    How does everyone remove the lube after sizing? I am using Hornady One Shot and RCBS Spray Lube. I find that by just wiping them after resizing doesn't get the lube off very well. I like to tumble prior to decapping because getting the media out of the primer pockets isn't fun, so tumbling is out. Anyone have luck with washing or soaking? Other ideas?
    Ripper:
    That's interesting. I don't have any trouble wiping Hornady One Shot lube off, or any other type of lube.

I've use cloth, shop towells, and paper towells, or whatever is available. I suppose you could put a little alcohol on the cloth, but I've not found it necessary.
    Smitty of the North