Thread: How to... replace 5.5" Redhawk sights...

Default How to... replace 5.5" Redhawk sights...

This was a simple job on Glock, but not so sure on the Redhawk and didn't find much help in a quick internet search.

Considering replacing 5.5" Redhawk sights (Williams Fire Sights, http://www.williamsgunsight.com/gunsights/pistol.htm, but:

Front: can't tell how I would remove/replace the front sight.
    Rear: don't see how removing the blade (only) would allow fitting the new rear piece.

Best to just call Williams tomorrow or is there a quick online reference?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by 6XLeech View Post
    This was a simple job on Glock, but not so sure on the Redhawk and didn't find much help in a quick internet search.

Considering replacing 5.5" Redhawk sights (Williams Fire Sights, http://www.williamsgunsight.com/gunsights/pistol.htm, but:

Front: can't tell how I would remove/replace the front sight.
    Rear: don't see how removing the blade (only) would allow fitting the new rear piece.

Best to just call Williams tomorrow or is there a quick online reference?

Thanks.
    It is even more simple with the Redhawk. A small screw for the rear and pin punch and the little allen wrench for the front. The 4 inch Redhawk has a fixed front....bad idea Ruger.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    The 4 inch Redhawk has a fixed front....bad idea Ruger.
    Once again I find your opinion to be just like mine. It's my only complaint on my 4 inch Redhawk.

Yeah, What was that about? It seems that when they cut it to 4" the height would be wrong if they put a ramp there and without the ramp, no room for the little groove and lock screw so they just welded the front sight on the barrel??!! So no quick change like the 5.5" and 7.5" models.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default Installing Williams Fire Sight on 5.5" Redhawk...

pretty much as Murphy described. My path to success was longer than that. (More parts in that rear sight than you'd think!)

These are installation instructions, based on those provided by Williams for the Redhawk with 5.5" barrel, which is different than the 4" barrel as pointed out. The pictures will be useful for beginners.

FRONT SIGHT:
    1. Fully depress "plunger" at the end of ramp (photo 1-depress with small Allen wrench).
    2. Lift and remove front sight.
    3. Depress plunger and install Fire Sight bead.

REAR SIGHT:
    1. Unscrew windage screw* (photo 2) completely, watching for the compressed spring behind it.
    2. Lift the rear blade vertically to remove it.

*the windage screw has a slot on one end, and a small hex head on the other end.
    (continued)

Default Installing Williams Fire Sights...

(continued)

3. To install Fire Sight blade, compress the spring using a pin punch (photo 3) and insert blade.

4. Holding the blade to keep the spring compressed, reinstall the windage screw.

Done! (photo 4).