Thread: M-44 Mosin Nagant question

Default M-44 Mosin Nagant question

Is there a way to sight this beast in, windage wise? I'm hitting about 6 inches to the left @ 50 yards. Elevation is perfect, though. The front sight is dovetailed in, and appears to be far off to one side. If I could move it back over I think it would fix the problem. Is there a tool or a good way to move it in the dovetail? Thanks.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by c04hoosier View Post
    Is there a way to sight this beast in, windage wise? I'm hitting about 6 inches to the left @ 50 yards. Elevation is perfect, though. The front sight is dovetailed in, and appears to be far off to one side. If I could move it back over I think it would fix the problem. Is there a tool or a good way to move it in the dovetail? Thanks.
    There are tools, that will push it over, but you can also use a (Brass) punch and a hammer.

Move the front sight in the opposite direction, that you want the bullet to go.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Default True dat

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    There are tools, that will push it over, but you can also use a (Brass) punch and a hammer.

Move the front sight in the opposite direction, that you want the bullet to go.

Smitty of the North
    That's what I did last week. I was shooting 6-8" to the right at 40 yds, and I had to move the front sight over considerably to get it shooting straight. Elevation is another story, and I'm still working on that.http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting...ight/index.asp

Default What Smitty said +

Are you shooting it with the bayonet extended? You should try it that way and see what difference it makes. Russian doctrine was bayonets were always in place except for travel in vehicles.
    Afflicted by condition human

Default A couple of things,

I like th link for doing your own drilling and taping , however they forgot the cutting coolant while drilling and taping.cutting oil is best even if it is justr the cutting oil used for threading pipe . It is not a lubracant it is a coolant ,if you use a lubracating oil, it has a reverse effect. bad for both the thread and the tap. different metals require different coolants. ie. stainless loves alcohol, or Stabil, or OMC's 2+4 my favorite. steel loves regular cutting oil, brass nothing but air.
    I've got a mosen nagdet .762/54 too, and it shoots 6' high been beat up pretty bad , I am told that they trained the soldier to aim at the feet of the enemy thus not looking him in the face. I don't know if it is true or not but I know that I have to change the front sight on mine for sure. It will only be temperary I hope , because if the pattern is good I may research ways to mount a scope , if the pattern is not so good it'll just be a wall hanger. They are too cheap here to try and resell, about $89.at big 5
    If all goes well I may get dies for the rock chucker for relaoding.
    It is not an enjoiable gun to shoot , I rather prefir my 44 mag Ruger rifle, looks a bit like a fat 10/22. easy to carry, and semi auto. Had a scope on it a while but removed it again. The iron sights work just fine at the ranges I shoot , and I hunt mostly brush any way.

Default The little trick worked

I was having trouble with elevation on my MN, and found a trick on some web site about putting a piece of stirring straw over the front post (which was higher than the post itself). It worked great out on the range, and I was grouping well at 60 yards. Didn't shoot at a greater range today because it is so blasted windy!

Anyway, just a suggestion for you MN owners who are having problems with your elevation.

Thumbs up M44 Mosin Nagant

Quote Originally Posted by c04hoosier View Post
    All that is needed here is a small brass hammer, brass drift pin and a steel set/punch.

Make sure to have good reference to the starting point when drifting windage (generally you'll see this staring at crude notches from the muzzle on the forward side of sight. Make sure chamber is unloaded!

Tap front sight assembly (pin, glob & all) Make sure chamber is unloaded! Go slow, shoot a few with every small tap of drift, use same ammo at same distance.

Once satisfactory... set the drift position by indenting the metal to metal interfaces that will maintain sight-in.

For fairly good temporary solution to elevation issues take a slim diameter drinking straw or rubber insulating coating clipping off some electric wire (remove copper core first).... then slip it over the post inside globe and trim to order.

Or tap front sight off altogether... get rid of the sight pin - install a finishing nail or brass brad through the base and trim to order.

Default Some experiences about MN rifles

Hammer and punch are right way to go. To get best accuracy check bore size. MN bore sizes run from .308 to .313. Military surplus ammo is normaly loaded .310 bullet.

However some Finnish MN military models and many sporter MN rifles have .308 bores. Also 91/30 models rebarreled in Finland may have .308 bore. Lapua and Sako offer bullets and ammunition in both .310 and .308 diameters in 7,62x53 R caliber.

I have shot almost all MN variants and the most accurate MN rifle is Finnish model M-39. Good condition M-39 should be able to fire 1-2 inch groups / 1oo meters constantly. With scope my best groups have been 3/4" clusters/ 5 shot/100m with Lapua Trainer ammo.

Short M44 carabine is cheap, easy to carry and it is very rugged, like all MN models. M44 it is not as accurate as M39. I have shot about 3" groups/100m with old Lapua military ammo.

In my opinion M44 is good back up rifle for rough enviroment. In boats, pick up`s or skiidos M44 will take years of punishment with minimum care but it will always shoot when needed...

7,62x53R is not magnum but it will drop moose all right. 7,62 is still among most popular hunting calibers in Finland.

Quote Originally Posted by Arleigh View Post
    I like th link for doing your own drilling and taping , however they forgot the cutting coolant while drilling and taping.cutting oil is best even if it is justr the cutting oil used for threading pipe . It is not a lubracant it is a coolant ,if you use a lubracating oil, it has a reverse effect. bad for both the thread and the tap. different metals require different coolants. ie. stainless loves alcohol, or Stabil, or OMC's 2+4 my favorite. steel loves regular cutting oil, brass nothing but air.
    Thanks Arleigh.

What were your average group sizes? We are tuning up an M44 and am trying to determine a realistic goal for average groups size with 150 gr. milsurp Russian ammo. Scope vs. standard iron sight? Initial 3 shot groups are in the 4 inch range at 100 yards off the bench. Groups were much tighter at 50 yards.

Thank you

To figure how far to move the sight, use this formula: Sight radius x error on target, divided by distance to target in inches. All measurements in inches. The result will be how far to push the sight to center the group. This works for elevation and windage. Example: sight radius of 16"x 8" left on target=128" divided by distance to target at 50 yards=1800 inches. So128 divided by 1800= .071" Move the front or rear sight .071" in the correct direction and you will be centered. This takes the guesswork out of it and saves time and ammo.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

When determining what size groups a Mosin is capable of you should try different types of ammo and bullet weights. Many of these rifles prefer one type of ammo. If your rifle has a dove tailed front sight, just add a taller front sight to lower your groups. To change windage just drift the sight right or left with a brass punch and hammer.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !