Thread: Bear Spray and Moose???

Default Bear Spray and Moose???

I have a problem and am looking for practical advice. There is a really irritating 2 year old bull moose, kicked out of the nest because he is a s*it I bet, that really wants to be "steaks on grill", if you get my drift. I have had a few run ins with him this winter on hikes, and he always comes out of no where and in a bad spot on a hillside. Folks that live in the area say he routinely will charge them and there dogs in there own yard! He will charge the trail, from deep cover where you don't even know he is, to make sure you are below his eye line. If you get above him, he will charge...survival technique I guess. I know how to keep a tree or two between us, but he caused me to spend 6 hours on a 1 hour hike recently (long story with a lost, then found dog). Going the other way was not an option on this trip, and I easily could have had about 50-75 foot drop over an edge at one point. So I was thinking...instead of something lethal...has anyone ever tried using Bear Spray on a moose? Does it have any effect on them? I usually have one or two dogs with me and he has no fear of them at all Thanks for any input.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Yes, bear spray will work on moose. However, much like they shut down areas when there is a brown bear causing problems, a moose is considerably more dangerous than a bear. So I would highly recommend you don't go to the area that this moose is defending. If he spikes out this fall, you can solve the problem for good.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Pepper spray has worked on most creatures and people I've used it on. I can't see where it'd be any different for a moose.

The trick is havng favorable conditions to use it effectively when you need it. It's pretty worthless in windy conditions.
    Now what ?

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    Yes, bear spray will work on moose. However, much like they shut down areas when there is a brown bear causing problems, a moose is considerably more dangerous than a bear. So I would highly recommend you don't go to the area that this moose is defending. If he spikes out this fall, you can solve the problem for good.
    If I knew where he would be I would avoid that area. He covers a lot of ground and from day to day he could be just about anywhere. I hike this area 3-5 times a week for the last few years, regardless of weather and wind. I have had two incidents in the last month. More frustrating than anything. Most of the real problems is when he goes into the surrounding neighborhood and into yards. Someone will take care of the problem I am sure. Still, I use caution at all times and if I know he is on the trail I will go a different way.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Default angry moose

angry moose are not to be messed with. hopefully you can stay safe and he will legally be turned into steaks soon enough with that sort of attitude. Would recommend bringing the spray if you continue to use the area, but I also would recommend avoiding the area.

Personally I would avoid getting in a turf war with this moose. He has associated people with harassment and has decided to no longer stand for it.

or give palmer fish and game a call if you think you will wind up with a DLP situation. Have any neighbors notified them? If it seems inevitable that this moose wants to stomp you then i would pack heat and take care of him if the situation escalates again before someone is stomped. You can carry spray, which will work just as with a bear, but remember that moose are less predictable, and obviously this guy feels his territory is being encroached.

he may be sick or injured...a friend and i were chased and nearly trampled by a moose near the caribou creek cabin on the resurrection trail one spring who seemed very territorial, and we noticed that he had a limp as though one of his hips was bad, so he was probably in pain and thus angry.

or else he was angry because they named it caribou creek.

Quote Originally Posted by andweav View Post
    angry moose are not to be messed with.
    he may be sick or injured...
    I agree with the angry statement, but he does not appear angry or mean for that matter. Just a juvenile male on his own and without proper training. He does have what I feel are natural instincts though. The two times I have come across him he is off the trail and feeding (he is is very good condition too). The problem arises when my head is higher up the slope than his is, then I think he feels vulnerable, so he charges to get you below him. Once I am lower in altitude, he goes back to feeding. If the dogs are below him, he ignores them as well, even if they bark (I watched this with another group).

I am carrying pepper spray for now, and keeping my eye out for him big time. There are four areas (and groups) of moose on this trail. He is always near the top, so I am making sure the dogs stay behind me. So far it has been easy to give him a wide berth, but I have to be vigilant in the step switchback section that got me before. Maybe I should suggest that Fish and Game require this moose to start wearing hunter orange so I can see him from farther away

I appreciate all the input folks. I guess my biggest lesson is, just because you have been up and down a trail literally hundreds of times does not mean a moose, bear, or other might not feel that this is their trail and not yours! I really don't want to have to make him steaks for someone else if I don't have to though. Come hunting season, he may have a date with me and my Mathews Switchback though