Thread: Beginer Advice Please

Default Beginer Advice Please

I have done some basic float trips on the upper Kenai and Gulkana.
    This season we will have out own raft and I am looking for advice on raft trips in the Mat-Su and pointers on the Kenai from the lake to Jims.

We will be using a 14' Kenai Drifter and it will be my wife and I looking for day or weekend camping trips.

The Kenai is fairly straight forward, but I am really interested in put in and take out points for Mat-Su streams and rivers.

Anybody know if there is a good book that covers this?

Does anyone have any opinions on a decent rowing frame that they want to share?

Thanks

Tom

Default Some river resources for you

Quote Originally Posted by Cresent Hills View Post
    This season we will have out own raft and I am looking for advice on raft trips in the Mat-Su and pointers on the Kenai from the lake to Jims.

We will be using a 14' Kenai Drifter and it will be my wife and I looking for day or weekend camping trips.

The Kenai is fairly straight forward, but I am really interested in put in and take out points for Mat-Su streams and rivers.

Thanks

Tom
    Hello Tom,

One of the best resources around for river information is Karen Jettmar's Alaska River Guide, available in our bookstore. She has a pretty good writeup on the Matanuska, which includes many popular put-ins and take-outs. She also lists several other valley streams; you need a copy of this book.

As to rowing frames, of course there are tons of options out there. Your Kenai Drifter should accommodate the NRS Longhorn frame very well, and the nice plus to that frame is that it loads nicely into any aircraft for flyout trips too! I would suggest the addition of another seat bar up front of the frame, to allow you to place a passenger in a swivel seat up there. Alaska Raft and Kayak can take care of that for you; talk to Tracey Harmon over there. Of course, I don't recommend the swivels for whitewater trips, but they're great for those long days on slow Class I-II water. The Little Susitna has miles of that, but it can be great fishing for silvers.

Hope it helps!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default Join KCK the local rafting club

Quote Originally Posted by Cresent Hills View Post

Thanks

Tom
    Tom, that’s a great river raft you have!

The best way to travel rivers that are new to you and to build your skills is to get involved with the Local boating club. In Anchorage and the Mat Su. that's the Knik Canoers and Kayakers. www.kck.org
    I've been a member since my late teens.
    There is a very active rafting group within the club.

Every spring the club teaches Rafting classes
    The April 15th Safety meeting is the sign up for the spring Classes
    Here are the details

April 15: Annual Safety Meeting at the Wilda Marston Theater of the Loussac Library, 3600 Denali Street 7:00pm
    KCK will host its Annual Paddling Safety Meeting which is open to the general public as well as members. Topics may include: float plans, personal equipment and clothing, rescue and safety equipment, trip planning, river etiquette, reading and understanding water hydraulics, international scale of difficulty (Class I-VI), safety signals, tidal influences, defensive swimming, and cold water immersion

The last 2 days of the rafting class are on the Matanuska River the weekend before Memorial day weekend. We run from King Mtn Lodge to King River. It's about a 4 hour float that time of year. Its Class I and Class II+ water in the early spring.

Getting involved with the club also gets you involved with other rafters that have already floated rivers that you may be interested in as well as every week someone is floating somewhere and additional boats and shuttle drivers are always welcome. This is the best way for a new boater to benefit from the experience of other club members that have floated the rivers before and have the knowledge of put in points and take out points. They also will know where to scout the rivers and how to run the fun parts.

I hope this helps.

Good Boating

Jim King

Alaska Series Inflatable Boats, The Toughest Bottoms in the Business, River Rafts, Catarafts, Inflatable Kayaks, Inflatable Canoes, Inflatable Sport Boats, Inflatable Jet Boats, Tenders and Dinghies. WWW.alaskaseries.com (907)248-2900
    Attached Images Attached Images