Thread: Summer Lake Trout????

Default Summer Lake Trout????

I've lived up here for 16 years and I've never fished for lake trout!
    Would like to know the basics and mabey some good lakes to try?

Is Skilak lake worth the effort?
    Seems to me the should be some big lakers with all the salmon the pass through.

Thanks for any info!
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

I am pretty much in the same shoes. Until last year that is. I fished a "little" up at Lake Louise over a 4 day period. It was very hot out so we played in the water more. However we did try many different lures and depths while watching the fishfinder. Caught 2 Lakers over 20" and that was it. Both were caught on an old spoon my FatherinLaw gave me called a Badger. It was trolled near the surface with nothing else.

clarance lake up in the talkeetnas has the state record, caught from shore, try hammer nickle spoons, best thing i've found so far. all the lakers i've gotten have been in unit 13.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I spent some time at Lake Louise this last summer. We caught a few smaller ones and had the bruisers follow the lures up. It is a nice place to be if the skeeters are not too bad. The camp ground was $15 and had clean toilets, picnic tables and fire rings. It was nice and clean! The ride back through Susitna and Tyone is nice too.There is a beach on the north end without any cabins that is great to walk. Sunsets

I plan to fish it hard this summer.

Default basics

good wobbling spoons and as slow as you can troll...learned the hard (meaning long hours of trial and error) way. Never bagged monsters but caught 10 and 8 pounders plus probably a 100 18-26" ers over the course of a couple summers. gl

p.s. most off downriggers, some longlining

Default Man I want to catch come lakers!!

Thanks for all the info guy's. Sounds like I need to hit the lakes and put some work and alot of time into it! Would Still like any info On Skilak lake!

Oh also Has anyone fished the float only section of the kenai. From Kenai lake down? Want to buy a raft and give that a try also.
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Default don't want everybody to know

motorboatin
    P.M. me I will give you the name of a lure the has proven to be killer since 1979.

Kenai lake at night with a glob of eggs is hard to beat
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.