Thread: Soft top replacement?

Default Soft top replacement?

Who does a good job here in Anchorage? I have a 18' alumaweld and need to get a new bimini and windows with the zip down back.

Thanks
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Default nomar down in homer

nomar down in homer does some nice work www.nomaralaska.com

Default Silver Streak

Silver Streak does good work.

Default anyone have a ball park guess

1800.00 seems like what I remeber!

Not sure on yours, but I have a friend that's getting the back of her Searunner enclosed for $1400. So I would think $1800 would be in the ballpark.

Default thanks guys.

Looks like I'll be visiting silver streak this week.

Summer is almost here.

Don't delay, they book up fast.

Default Canvas Boat Cover

Buster and Willy @ Busters Upholstery, Anchorage, AK made the cover for my 2625 Kingfisher......no problems, priced right, life time warranty for original owner, good people.

I made an appointment, they pulled the boat inside on schedule and it was out of the shop at the specified time. They went the extra mile installing my preferences, I received what I wanted at the price I agreed to pay.

Afterwards, they took the time to instruct me on how to raise and lower the top correctly, annual maintenance, and proper storage. Specifically, they walked me through each step of raising and lowering the top, and showed me how to pack it into the custom protective cover, and how to protect the soft plastic windows from damage due to wear, transport, and seasonal storage. They put covers on all the stays to protect the windows from chafe and rubbing.

Its been on the boat for two seasons, I have not detected any quality issues.

A+

Quote Originally Posted by pontiac-chief-51 View Post
    Buster and Willy @ Busters Upholstery, Anchorage, AK made the cover for my 2625 Kingfisher......no problems, priced right, life time warranty for original owner, good people.

I made an appointment, they pulled the boat inside on schedule and it was out of the shop at the specified time. They went the extra mile installing my preferences, I received what I wanted at the price I agreed to pay.

Afterwards, they took the time to instruct me on how to raise and lower the top correctly, annual maintenance, and proper storage. Specifically, they walked me through each step of raising and lowering the top, and showed me how to pack it into the custom protective cover, and how to protect the soft plastic windows from damage due to wear, transport, and seasonal storage. They put covers on all the stays to protect the windows from chafe and rubbing.

Its been on the boat for two seasons, I have not detected any quality issues.

A+
    I think you should probably get quotes from SS and Busters, I could have wrote the same thing about Silver Streak. Sounds like they are both top notch, this will be my 4th summer with mine and I couldn't be happier.

"pontiac-chief-51", I'd be interested in seeing a pic or two of that cover if you have any.

Default Stay away

I couldn't get Buster to answer the phone or messages left on his sho door (I think he was away on family business) So I had the guy at Merrill Field do mine, Sunrise or something like that.
    STAY AWAY from him. He told me a week and 4 weeks later it still wasn't done. After I did finally get it back from him I had to take it back 4 TIMES and it still wasn't right. Shoddy work.

My buddy took his Marion in the same time I got my quote. He had my buddies boat 6 MONTHS (no my friend wasn't complaining too loud cause it was being stored inside) But Then after a few calls to see any progress (was none) he got a call that it was done and to come pick it up as he needed the second half of the pay. We showed up and he hadn't even started working on it. It was someone elses boat he had done.

It still took him 3 weeks to get his boat back (with one threat of calling the police) and it still had to be taken back for finishing..

Charterboat Operator

Default Fine Line

Contact Doug Dixon @ Fine Line Interiors
    349-4442.
    he just got done taking 2nd place in the iron dog so he should be able to do it for cheap!!
    Definitly one of the better top builders in town, rather fast and reasonable too!

+1 Busters!!!!

Default HomerTime --- some photos of dodger

These are about the best photos I could find at this time, The top when up and the top when folded against cabin for transport or when not in use. The whole apparatus, frame and all, comes off and can be stored in the cabin or back of my pickup. When up, it's tall enough to stand under comfortably for a 6' foot tall person and, although restrictive, I can fish with it up.....I don't mind it actually. When its wet outside, or wet and windy, boy, is it nice.

I'll try to get a shot with it up so you can see how the curtains are handled.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default HomerTime - One more shot of top

Here is a shot of the dodger from the inside with back and side curtain up.....usually I do a better job rolling the curtains up.

Hope these help you.

Silverstreak does do good work. He did this top for me on my Old Boat that I sold last year. Had it 3 years and it was just like new when I sold it. This pic shows the protective plastic that was still attached to the winndows when I just brought it home. I had him make me a protective pouch with a soft interior to put the windows in when I wasn't using it. Really helped perserve the windows.

Default Chico99645

Nice looking top, is the "canvas" material really a sort of plastic coated material....looks durable, washable, seagull proof.

By your comments, am I to take it that you tow your boat with the top up? I never tow with the top up except from the ramp to the parking lot. Busters specifcially recommended that I do not tow in the up position, in fact, I think that the warranty might be void if I did tow it that way.

I see guys towing down the highway, sides and top flapping, air pressure psuhing things around, sometimes with a door waving straight out and I wonder. Seems like it could damage things, maybe I wrong about that.

Default Sound Rat

In the Valley you might try Howling Storm--they have a website.

Quote Originally Posted by pontiac-chief-51 View Post
    Nice looking top, is the "canvas" material really a sort of plastic coated material....looks durable, washable, seagull proof.

By your comments, am I to take it that you tow your boat with the top up? I never tow with the top up except from the ramp to the parking lot. Busters specifcially recommended that I do not tow in the up position, in fact, I think that the warranty might be void if I did tow it that way.

I see guys towing down the highway, sides and top flapping, air pressure psuhing things around, sometimes with a door waving straight out and I wonder. Seems like it could damage things, maybe I wrong about that.

The canvas was not plastic coated, but it was very durable. I always towed with my top up and never had a problem. Did take it down twice when Turnagain arm was blowing wicked winds. I towed it with a Class C motorhome so it really didnt get that much wind. Two things I really liked about what Ben did with my top. With my factory top I had before I was getting allot of water splashing up into the boat on the sides due to the top snapped on the side of the boat. He welded a 1 inch alumimum rail on the center of my gunnel with my permission and put the snaps on the outside of the tubing therefore any splashing would not come into the boat. It worked like a charm. The second thing I liked was the design of the window. He stated to not spray anything in the boat that could catch the wind and drift on the windows especially bug spray. It will eat or deteriorate the windows, but he could replace the windows up to 2 times in the life of the boat top with the way he designed it and had enough canvas material to work with. Never had to do it but it was peice of mind and would save me money instead of having to make more pannels if I had so called accidents and ruined my window.