Thread: Bluff or not???

Default Bluff or not???

I am not sure where to post this but it has to do with fishing. When you are on a river and you come across a brown how do you tell the difference between a bluff and a real charge?? I will be on the russian this summer and was wondering how to tell the difference between a bluff and a real charge.

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    I am not sure where to post this but it has to do with fishing. When you are on a river and you come across a brown how do you tell the difference between a bluff and a real charge?? I will be on the russian this summer and was wondering how to tell the difference between a bluff and a real charge.

You dont. You just stand tall, make a butt load of noise and try to look big and bad. If the bears stops it is a bluff if not your screwed.

A few things to look at if you have time. If thier ears are up and it is a short gallop towards you might be a bluff. Ears pinned and full out run, screwed. Also depends how you make contact. If you scare them or sneak up on them chances are your gonna get run. If you see them a ways off they might run at you a bit, stop, wind you and just try to figure out what your doing.

I have been fishing the russian since 78. There are alot of bears there for sure. Just give them thier space, walk in groups of 4 or more, talk loud, and dont wear them freaking dinner bells. A portable air horn works well, my aces cowbell runs them off too. I dont carry a gun on the russian. I have not since 1990. To many other wingnuts out there with them for sure. Bear spray can be effective too.

Just my .02 worth
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Don't you just shoot them all and let God sort them out? Oh wait, I think that's the US Marines motto......

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post

If it is bluff you just pee yourself. You know it is real when the bear is chewing on you skull.....I suppose you wanted advanced warning....but there is no such thing unfortunately. Chuck's advice is pretty good, but most charges are not from way the heck over there where you can see all that, they are right in front of you as you walk through the brush right onto them.

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    Don't you just shoot them all and let God sort them out? Oh wait, I think that's the US Marines motto......

You talking bears for the fisherman on the russian. LMAO

Quote Originally Posted by T.R. Bauer View Post
    If it is bluff you just pee yourself. You know it is real when the bear is chewing on you skull.....

Been there done the pee myself. No lie. Opening weekend a few years ago. Bluebird morning. Goona go chase some bows on the russian with my baileys and coffee and just enjoy the morning before the wife and I floated that day.

Come down out of rainbow trout loop and made the right to get access to the river after the boardwalk. Head down (or in this case up my ass) Thinking how good life it, the morning is, perfect day etc etc etc. Got on the boardwalk and looked up and GUESS WHAT?

There she was. A nice 4 year old standing on the boardwalk. Im about 1/3 of the way accross it and she is about in the middle. Im alone. I start waving my arms, screaming, pissing my pants as I moonwalk like michael Jackson backwards on the boardwalk. She stood, winded, dropped and make a couple of gallops at me stopping about 10 feet away. Ears up just kind of looking at me like. "are you that stupid" I kept walking backwards as she watched me move off. When she could not see me I went Hussian Bolt in the 100 meters. 67 steps leading up to the campground. I think I hit 4. As my wife hears me making at rum and coke at 530am she wonders. She then takes one look in my eyes and went. Oh ****. You got charged.

All my fault. Quiet, head down, no noise just enjoying the moment and what a moment it became. I was lucky that day for sure

I know....and have had something similar happen. I was just walking along minding my own business and had one come out of the brush and willows on the trail by Hidden Creek on Skilak. It scared the crap out of me. I didn't see it, didn't hear it, and didn't even suspect in any way that it was going to happen. I had a side arm and there was not close to enough time to get it out. There wasn't even time to pee myself. Fortunately, this encounter was all show.

One day. Just one day Id like to hike that trail without seeing a bear. I am pretty nervous walking it. Fishing is great but you sure pay for it with the walk

Quote Originally Posted by alaskachuck View Post
    You talking bears for the fisherman on the russian. LMAO
    Same thing applies Chuck, shoot them all then sort out the bluffs from the non bluffs.

Alaskachuck; Funny (now) but a very real situation on the russian.
    It is rare to get charged; but always give the bear respect. I have seen a bear walking down the confluence and clear out a hundred fisherman. I don't carry a gun but do carry bear spray. I saw bear spray used once at the confluence and the bear took off; I think because of the noise and not the spray. The more you fish the russian the more you get use to the bears...but that is the bad thing...you get complacent. Just be alert; don't go stealth, keep all your gear, fish and food in control; and you will not have to worry about the charges. I think most "interactions" occur very late or very early when there's very few people on the river.

Quote Originally Posted by ksaye View Post
    Alaskachuck; Funny (now) but a very real situation on the russian.
    It is rare to get charged; but always give the bear respect. I have seen a bear walking down the confluence and clear out a hundred fisherman. I don't carry a gun but do carry bear spray. I saw bear spray used once at the confluence and the bear took off; I think because of the noise and not the spray. The more you fish the russian the more you get use to the bears...but that is the bad thing...you get complacent. Just be alert; don't go stealth, keep all your gear, fish and food in control; and you will not have to worry about the charges. I think most "interactions" occur very late or very early when there's very few people on the river.

Very very very well said ksaye. Last year we did have a sow with cup way up by the falls that fished just about every day at like 10am. she could clear out the upper part of the river real quick with those 2 babies. she was not shy either.

ksaye hits the nail on the head here with all his points. I have been finding I like to fillet my fish as soon as i catch them. That way if Mr fuzzy does show up, your fish is cared for in your pack on you and ready to go when you see him hopefully a ways off.

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    Well that fits LOL. I am a Marine

Talking Friend

Put your buddy between you and the bear. When he bites your friend then you know it's not a bluff..

This is a pic i took about 2 seconds before it charged two guys on the other side of the river.
    Her and her two cubs had been hanging around all day and hadn't botherd anybody, but all of a sudden she got a wild hair and charged those two,,and there was tons of folks a lot closer than they were.
    I think you can tell by her body language she was fixxin to do something..
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wink

I am very much convinced that even the bear does not know what he/she is going to do next. So there is no way to predict their behaviour. I don't pressure the bears and I don't allow them to pressure me. We so far have maintained a good understanding of one another. They are absolutely unpredictable and so am I.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

My experience on rivers with fish sezz it's almost always a bluff. Exception being between sow and cubs, or a bear that has had a really bad experience with an idiot on the river. They're more interested in the fish than you.

All the advice here is sound advice. I had an encounter one day hiking into the Canyon. We were doing everything right making noise singing Rugby songs, group of four, I was in the lead since I had my 44. Let me tell you.........You can practice getting a 44 out of a holster all you want, but have a true encounter and see what happens. I was left backpeddling stuttering BB...BBB....BBBBBE.....BBBBBBEAR!!!!!!!! while I was slapping at my chest trying to get at my weapon. Luckily she/he heard us coming and made some noise. I am sure people in Homer heard me holler when I finally got it out. Somehow I think I would have been mistaken for a junior high school aged girl though my voice had climbed so high. I no longer carry a sidearm, but still practice the fundementals of bear avoidance. It was doing the right things that saved our bacon that day, not my 44.

I recently read the 'backcountry bear basics' book sold here on the forum and one important piece of info that I remember was to never treat a charge any differently whether you 'think' its a bluff or not.

Always be prepared as if it were the real thing. Meaning, stand your ground and talk/scream to the bear so it knows you're human.

When you think of it, what's the advantage of 'thinking/knowing' it's a bluff? "I knew it was a bluff that's why I didnt piss myself like you guys! In your FACE!"

I also agree with AKRES that there is a strong possibility that the bear doesnt even know what its gonna do when it charges. With that in mind, I help the bear make its decision by not running and try to convey to it that: "if you are gonna mess with us its gonna cost you"

Quote Originally Posted by sodabiscuit12345 View Post
    When you think of it, what's the advantage of 'thinking/knowing' it's a bluff? "I knew it was a bluff that's why I didnt piss myself like you guys! In your FACE!"
    I had a brain fart. I did not address firearms or pepper spray. I was only imagining startle encounters.

In the book at least, it says chose a distance at which you feel comfortable with the bear (10-30 yrds) If it passes that limit, then its time to take action. So chose a rock or a bush that is X distance away from you and once it passes that distance, be determined to do something.

Sorry for the confusing advice earlier!

Default HAHAHA Funny You've got to be kidding

Bears are the top of the food chain in the woods. They will do what they want when they want. If you get the luxury of pulling your gun "DO SO" If not, well God Speed.
    Really they are just bears, respect them and usually they will respect you, for those times they don't see if Ruger will get theit respect.
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.