Thread: Help with Sheep pack

Default Help with Sheep pack

Ok I've been looking at just about everything on the market. I don't want to spend the big money for a Barney, or higher end packs, mainly because I won't get the use out of it. Looking to use it in Aug. for sheep in the Brooks. I have narrowed it down to 3 packs and looking to see what everybody thinks. There are 2 Cabela's packs I have in mind, the Alaskan Outfitter frame pack and the Alaskan Guide model both are 5,000-ci. They look like they both have the same frame. The other is the Eberlerstock-Dragonfly, just not sure about the rifle scabbard, plus it being more money for the few times I'll get to use it. Don't get me wrong I hope to use it alot more in the future, but not every year or season.
    Thanks for any help.

I see your location says New Jersey. Have you contacted your guide here in Alaska and asked him how much stuff you will need to carry and for how long? You may be able to get by with a 3000ci day pack. You may not need a 5000+ ci freight hauler. I doubt you will have to carry everything you need for a 7-10 day hunt on your back.

They recommended a frame pack or large Internal frame, and was told to stay away from the Badlands internal 3000ci's because they are not big enough.
    I am not the type of guy to have someone else carry my load, and want a pack to be able to do all that is needed.

Thanks

If going on a guided hunt and just carrying my food, sleeping bad & pad, clothing, and rifle I'd likely go this route. 4200 cui in. and only 4.5 pounds for $200.

If you plan on carrying a portion of your sheep out in addition to your gear you might want a beefer pack. The Osprey Argon, Arcteryx Bora, and Gregory Palisade lines are all good internal frame options for that.

Certainly nothing wrong is Kelty External Frame packs, Cabelas line of externals, or Camptrails.

Main thing is pack fit. Try them on, load them up, walk around, find which one fits your body type best.

Of course my pack choice would be dependent on what my guide was expecting me to carry on the trip. If going with BRWNBR I'd just bring a fanny pack.

Snyd has a good point, you only need a pack big enough to carry your neccessaties, sleeping bag/pad, YOUR food, rifle, water, etc. You might want to have enough room for the Horns and cape ( if you wish to pack it, otherwise your guide should) But your guide should be able to pack the rest, After all, you are paying big $$$$ for him, with that said i would go with a cheaper, but I have seen a friends cabelas frame pack strap break on its first sheep hunt, and had to use 550 (parachute) cord to make a shoulder strap and it was the most uncomfortable and miserable hunt he ever had, despite him packing a nice sheep in it. He got it replaced with upgrades from Cabelas w/o question ( he then sold it on ebay and bought a Braneys). I would look into an internal frame like Kelty or something thats comfortable yet durable (could find one for pretty good deal maybe REI or wherever,you don't really need a camo pattern pack for sheep) when you do get it, put it on, put some load in it, adjust it to your liking, whether you like your load on your hips or shoulders, then bounce, jog, Roll on the ground with it, and see how it with stands, better for it to break now than then. Check all your seams, make sure they will not giveway or tear, when products are mass produced in some of these Asian countries that I won't mention (China), they tend to pass Quality Assurance inspections by just throwing them in a box and shipped to the U.S.

All in All, I will say this for Advice, I bought my Barneys pack and frame in 2005 (1000 cordura), have hauled every Big Game hide and meat I have taken in AK except for two black bears, I've even loaded it with sockeyes from the Russian and Klutina Rivers, washes out easy with a pressure washer and its still going today, yes it looks beat up, and the camo is faded, but I'm sure I would have gone through two-three Cabelas packs by now, and I know it will go many many more years........okay I'm done.

Let us know what pack you decided on.....Good luck on your sheep hunt, please buy a Griz/wolf tag too...help the sheep out.

Default Funny

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post

Of course my pack choice would be dependent on what my guide was expecting me to carry on the trip. If going with BRWNBR I'd just bring a fanny pack.
    Good laugh.

I hope to be hauling sheep also. Thanks for the list of others.

No joke, I would have Jake (BRWNBR) carry as much as I could fit in his pack just so I would have a chance at keeping up

If I was looking for a new pack I would first put a bid in on this:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Mystery-Ranch-A7...item4cede582f3

From what I've read Camp Trail frames are what Cabela's uses on certain packs, I have not been able to find them sold under Camp Trail's name.

I hope to go to the Cabela's in Hamburg, P.A. to try on what they have. I know some of Cabela's pack reveiws are mixed. Hopeing to find out more on what brand frames they use.

As far as Barney's packs go, their price on their web site. Is the the standard pack or is that fully loaded. I haven't call for any prices.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    No joke, I would have Jake (BRWNBR) carry as much as I could fit in his pack just so I would have a chance at keeping up

If I was looking for a new pack I would first put a bid in on this:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Mystery-Ranch-A7...item4cede582f3

Yea, Load that baby up with a couple Brown Bear hides and I would look like BRWBR

Looks like the size is to big I'm 5'10

I have used the same Kelty Frame and Tioga Bag for over forty years. The straps and belt have been replaced and upgraded twice. It has packed 100 plus days per year for many years of professional work. There are much better set-ups today, but the Kelty has always been an excellent frame. In 73' I honked two sheep (Boned out) plus day gear off the mountain in one trip.

I am NOT suggesting you buy a Kelty Frame & Bag, I am simply pointing out to the many who feel if you Don't have a Barney's frame & bag, that you have equipment that will not get the job done.

Was Kelty made in China 40 years ago?

I am not sure what the "good years" are for the Dana design packs, but here is another one that may fit your needs. I know he sold to Marmot so quality went down at one point.

http://cgi.ebay.com/BLACK-DANA-DESIG...item335a89d915

Quote Originally Posted by HuntNBgame View Post
    They recommended a frame pack or large Internal frame, and was told to stay away from the Badlands internal 3000ci's because they are not big enough.
    I am not the type of guy to have someone else carry my load, and want a pack to be able to do all that is needed.

Thanks
    Follow your guide's advice. I don't know what the differences are between the two Cabela's packs, but either one should be fine. You'll be glad you chose a pack that seems too big. I know the way you guided sheep hunters are.

Has the guide given you a list for personal equipment to take with you also?
    Who is your guide? (just curious)
    Art is making something out of nothing and selling it.
    - Frank Zappa

there is little reason to spend much more than $200 on a pack unless you want to waste money.

Bet you can get one at a garage sale for $75 or less. sometimes way less.

if you've got time there is no reason to buy one new unless you have looked at used packs for a couple of months with no luck.

I guarantee you that most of the back packs sitting around out there haven't been used in the past year, and many were perhaps used once in their lives. look around.

Quote Originally Posted by andweav View Post
    there is little reason to spend much more than $200 on a pack unless you want to waste money.

Bet you can get one at a garage sale for $75 or less. sometimes way less.

if you've got time there is no reason to buy one new unless you have looked at used packs for a couple of months with no luck.

I guarantee you that most of the back packs sitting around out there haven't been used in the past year, and many were perhaps used once in their lives. look around.
    Then why are even the "prolific" older veteran sheephunters using the newer barneys pack?.....And to put it into perspective, why aren't we wearing red plaid flannel shirts and blue jeans, or packing around an old rifle with a heavy woodstock chambered in .270 like Jack O'conner did back in the day.....it worked for him !!!

I've seen a few back packs at garage sales, and I mean A FEW, and I would ASSUME that none of them would stand up to one sheep hunt here in AK.....But I guess, the sheep are alot more tougher today, and the terrain alot more rugged than they were back then too.....

The odds of finding a used pack is pretty slim, at least one I could try on for fit.
    I know a large pack is not required. And I don't want to look like I'm carrying a sportting goods store on my back. Mainly need a pack to carry food, gear,sleeping bag and pad. And hopefully with good luck the cape and horns.
    I would like to do a half mount, not sure how much more room it would even take up. Just would like a all around pack. I listed the Cabela's packs because that's what I thought was close to a Barneys pack for size. I bought a badlands superday pack and that was a waste of money, its alright for deer around here. Would like something that will be my last buy, If even possible.
    And can use throughout Alaska, whether it be guided or DIY.
    Thanks for all replys.

If you are going to be using it as a do-it-all pack and don't want to break the bank just go w/ a cabelas AK guide model pack. Many guys use it for everything, it just isn't as comfortable or as rugged as the Barneys but it will do what you want.

In my opinion there are packs you can do everything with but none that do everything well. Just like boats, boots, or planes. My ideal combo would be a barneys freighter frame for moose and a quality internal (or 2) for pretty much everything else. I don't like externals for alpine hunting. I don't like the way they are disconnected from your body by the frame. I like a pack that moves with you and doesn't have a tendency to shift and cause you to lose your balance. I used a top of the line super ultimate external frame on one sheep trip and came back and sold it. The rails hung up in the alders and climbing steep terain or side hilling was spooky! I purchased the largest Gregory internal frame and went back up and was much more comfortable scrambling around the slopes though I didn't have a lot of faith in the longevity of the pack construction. I set out from there to find a good tough internal, I eventually had Dan McHale make me one to my specs and it is absolutely perfect but SUPER spendy. My buddy found his solution w/ Mystery Ranch which is quite a bit cheaper but still an expensive bag. Before the MR he used an Arc' teryx bora which can be found pretty cheaply used online, like this one for $30!
    http://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/spo/1624133968.html

He thought it was the best thing ever until he tried the MR for the first time. He still thinks the MR is the best thing in the world but hasn't tried a McHale (mines way to big for him) so he doesn't know what he is missing

Whatever you decide to do you are probably correct in the thinking that it would be cheaper to make do w/ an external frame on a single sheep hunt than to go with an internal and try and haul moose quarters with it in the future but if I had the money to spend I would go with a quality internal just for sheep, even if it is used! I figure most of your hiking will be away from a spike camp with just bivi gear on your back and some food in case you get stuck overnight. It sucks to carry that little bit of gear in a massive frame and bag. Much better to have an internal you can compress down to day-pack size and keep stuff from sloshing around on you. But what do I know, I struck out on my sheep hunt and only have one goat to my credit, though I did help haul three others out on my back. Lots of guys with lots more animals running around w/ frame packs and getting it done!