Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Camouflage pattern

Default New Camouflage pattern

Have you ever noticed when watching a show on the outdoor channel the client always is wearing the latest and greatest camo. Yet the guide is inevidably wearing a solid color chamois or like shirt. Why can't the animals see the guides?

What are some thoughts on camo. As a general rule it does not blend in real well with alaskas fall terrain, Colors are off.

What do you think is the best camo for hunting alaska in the fall?

Who could make a new Alaska pattern?
    Wars may be fought with weapons, but they are won by men. It is the spirit of men who follow and of the man who leads that gains the victory.
    - General George S. Patton

Quote Originally Posted by sledhands View Post
    Have you ever noticed when watching a show on the outdoor channel the client always is wearing the latest and greatest camo. Yet the guide is inevidably wearing a solid color chamois or like shirt. Why can't the animals see the guides?

What are some thoughts on camo. As a general rule it does not blend in real well with alaskas fall terrain, Colors are off.

ASAT or Predator fall grey.

Most camo patterns are more of a fashion statement rather than function, although they can work very vell in some environments.

ASAT was designed from the start to be functional in multiple environments using open patterns and earth colors with natural light reflective tone.

Predator jumped onto ASAT's idea, but designing their own pattern.

It seems that Swiss military alpenflage might work okay in tundra areas, but I don't know anyone who's used it.
    Now what ?

'Cept for ducks & 'bou there is no need for using camo in Alaska. Carharts work best.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Default Buy used!

I have looked into different camo many times and have gotten a few different patterns of BDUS and a good gilly suit. The best I have found are some of the things I have found at value village. Old earth color plad patterns, sweaters, work pants etc. It is surprising how much good camo you see looking down those rows of used clothes. If you are thinking of a color or shade or pattern you want to match, just go to the thrift store and look and you will probably find what you are looking for. My best camo is used clothes from these places and I have saved alot of money at the same time compared to buying spendy "outdoor wear" from a magazine or outdoor store.
    "Bark,bark,bark,sniff,sniff,bark,and bark" - Lynchs Blue Roan Lynch E.C.K.

Default Camo spells success!

All the old timers in plaid were lying about their hunting success. Only the modern hunters who hunt and stalk in camo make the kills... and look cool doing so.

Truthfully, however; I use camo... because my son in the Army gave me his cast-offs and they wear so darn well.

I look for gear I like for it's functionality. I do have some camo, including the latest-greatest Sitka optifade but it was more because I liked the design of the jacket than the pattern of the camo. I tend to look for quality mountaineering gear in muted colors like tan or slate.

My old town clothes become my new hunting clothes.

Beat up Carhartts. green, grey, tan, brown. The funkier the better.

The only real camo I use is winter patterns for predator calling.

Default weather gear

Grunden's Raingear Orange, works best for Deer in rain soaked alder patches and brown or black, the thing that keeps you dry and alive is best for hat

I like the comment about the guys in plaid too

Seriously though I guess for Bowhunters, Caribou ambushers, and Predator Callers it's a must but for the rest of us???,

Movement in any color is a bust

What we all get a kick out of in town is all the Camo Clad guys "still sneaking around" at Mack's or Sutliffs or the Airport.

Ok, Sorry, that was a smart A comment Keepin' it Fun here ??

Yes, it seems some of the really well designed gear is in Camo now, and it all looks good

Default I could have fun...

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    Grunden's Raingear Orange, works best for Deer in rain soaked alder patches and brown or black, the thing that keeps you dry and alive is best for hat

I like the comment about the guys in plaid too

Seriously though I guess for Bowhunters, Caribou ambushers, and Predator Callers it's a must but for the rest of us???,

Movement in any color is a bust

What we all get a kick out of in town is all the Camo Clad guys "still sneaking around" at Mack's or Sutliffs or the Airport.

Ok, Sorry, that was a smart A comment Keepin' it Fun here ??

Yes, it seems some of the really well designed gear is in Camo now, and it all looks good
    ...looking for all the camo gear they lose due to its effectiveness, and leave in the woods.

I really like the way Shadow Grass blends into our fall colors, esp. in the tundra. It probably doesn't matter much to the animals, I seem to spook them just as bad wearing Shadow Grass camo as I would if I were wearing hunter orange .

best camo for hunting in alaska.......kings shadow camo....its still fairly new ......http://www.kingsoutdoorworld.com/shadowcamo ; they are also affordable and comfortable in the worst weather...the mountain shadow blends in real well with the alpine terrain and the rocks as well as scrub alpine spruce. good stuff. seems to work effectively in most cover for us....but on a different note, camo isnt always necessary especially when your road hunting lol..... it can be necessary for when you are stalking an animal on open or broken terrain, and when stalking wary game such as sheep, goat, and some bears....it is especially effective when calling predators or other game when it is important to be well concealed.

Release Lake Trout

For spot and stalk in open country with a bow I think camo could be effective or just give you the added confidence to make a good stalk. Otherwise I believe movement at the wrong time regardless of what you are wearing for camo or color is a much larger factor than realtree vs. mossy oak vs. sitka optifade. Personally I have much less camo arcticles of clothing than non-camo cause for me form follows function. I'd rather be wearing a bright yellow fully waterproof rain slicker on a hunt than the latest at greatest camo "rain coat" that leaks like a siv and weighs 3 times more once its water logged.

Default I was always told that the animals are color blind.

The whole reason I was told, for camo, was to hide from other hunters.
    A friend of mine was champion at it , and some times just for fun do it in front of farmers and they couldn't see him 50 feet away.
    If anything I would think animals can distingush patterns Just as some one whom is color blind , But like was said earlier, movement and your done.
    Does any one know if it is legal to use camo netting?

Gotta say, in AK, anything dull (grey, green, brown) even in solids (I hunt in my waders most of the time) is absolutely just friggin fine. Haven't chased blacktails much but doubt they are too flighty either. When I used to spot and stalk and still hunt for whitetails, I couldn't afford anything schmancy so I went for the same dull colors but liked the break up action of the patterns. The only real consideration I had when using camo was to match the shade of what I was in (light grass, dark for shadowy hemlock stalks. And, just like ducks, when you are in a nitty gritty stalk of somethin smarter than AK game, a headnet is really helpful so you don't light up your face. Other than that, like others said, I just play the wind, and move at the right time.

that said, I have had several whitetails walk up on me wearing full on blaze orange and they didn't move til the gun went off. But it's also a confidence thing...if you feel sneaky and lethal...you feel better about what your doing.

Default camouflage

I have wore solids all my life hunting up here. Had blacktails walk up and sniff the barrel of my gun. Motion is no doubt the big giveaway. I always get a kick out of the hollywood hunters full camo setups while their guide is wearing a solid color with a hat that has silver studs on the hat band.

Hunting sheep, goat and spring bear 1 will use a tyvek suit for a stalk. The spring bear if near den in snow area can't be beat they smell you and still can't make you out, sometimes. I think the white throws the sheep and goat off into a false sense of security.

Bowhunting is just a matter of location and staying still for bushwackin caribou and deer. Have worn camo the past few years never really noticed the advantage at least not to the degree where without it I felt there would have been no success.

But as I said in the beginning I have never seen anything that I actually thought matches the oranges, reds and yellows of fall here. Yes the speuce and cottonwood but not the alder and berry bushes of high country.

Neoprenes and a black waterproof coat seem to be my fall fair. Although I have been succesful in orange grundens and extra tuffs many times. They do have that Fall color though.

Anyway it is interesting to read others take on this hunting phenomenon.
    Wars may be fought with weapons, but they are won by men. It is the spirit of men who follow and of the man who leads that gains the victory.
    - General George S. Patton

I shot my first caribou with a bow in a set of black Klim sno-go bibs and a black fleece jacket..in the snow I stayed really still and I think they thought I was a rock or something. In fact, when I look back I have shot quite a few critters when wearing something other than camo.

My issue is that many of the camo clothes manufacturers make clothes for fat guys like me, but the other outdoor clothing companies don't. I often end up in camo gear simply because I can find something that fits. Yesterday I rode my sled in my camo "dry plus" cabelas bibs because I can't get in my Klims anymore Time to loose some weight.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

My wife took her first moose in a bright red Arctiva sled jacket also in the snow. I was standing next to her wearing a brown t-shirt w/ "We ain't found sh*t" in big white letters on the front.

I've never used camo in my life. Since my freezer is currently full of moose, caribou, and bear, I think that I probably won't be buying any camo in the near future. Since it clearly makes you a better hunter, I'd just have to spend the money to buy another freezer on top of the money I spent on buying camo. I think I'll get by without it.
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

Default Camo

So far the best Camo I've found is Cabela's Outfitter camo. It's best on the tundra and here in Southeast.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast