Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hunt black bears every year, what do you do with the hide?

Default Hunt black bears every year, what do you do with the hide?

I'm seeing that you now may be able to sell the hide, per the this thread:

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=74165

But my question is this: What do you do with the all the hides if you go hunting (and are successful) each year? Do you have a stack of tanned / dried skins? I have been curious about this for a while, but the above mentioned thread got me thinking about it again.

I got 4 so far, it's just too much fun bear hunting to stop. I got a rug from the 1st boar I shot and 3 tanned hides I got hanging on nails in the house. Skulls I've cleaned and have em by the hides. I'm lucky though, my buddy has his own tannng business in Oalmer and he does them for next to nothing for me. I think that in the next couple years I'll send a couple back to Texas for Christmas to the family for gifts.

After the first one I give them away to people that want one.

Default Dr No

Funny how we seem to put a value on one type of critters hide vs another!
    I have taken 8 or 9 black bears and always have made sure to bring the meat home as we love to eat it. I have 2 full size mounts and 2 rug mounts - traded the others to the taxidermist for deer mounting as I have 11 I think plus other critters. Anyway, many times I have though gee, I have tossed countless deer skins and never blinked an eye - why do we really feel so guilty about doing that to a bear if we are hunting thm for meat? Wierd....
    I suppose there are places that may have game regs that won't allow that but not where I have hunted....

i've practiced home tanning on a couple. They make good cat beds in the shed now. I make jewelry with the claws and give it to friends and family.

Hang 'em. My brother has had considerable success with bears, so on both sides of his double doors in one room he has a cascading series of bears hanging from nails. The largest ones are closest to the door on both sides, then the go out in descending size. Pretty cool looking, and not very expensive since tanning is the only cost.

i salt tanned a black bear hide in my back yard last year.....not a real big one just wanted to see how itd turn out.....on warms unny days id spread it out on the asphalt and salt the hell out of it, then at nite id roll it up and put it in a dry cooler to keep the moisture from gettin to it.....i shoulda staked it out but never did and its not really big anymore lol, but it turned out kinda nice.....good quality fur.....

Release Lake Trout

The first two bears I got I had head mounts done, one above the tv and one in the rec room. Now I hunt for the meat only. But because I have to salvage the hide and skull I bring them into town. I know a taxidermist that teaches and provides specimens to museums I give him the hide and he cleans the skull for me at a great price. Skulls go up on top of the gun safe.
    I've told my boys they can do what ever they want with the hides of their first bears.

Almost like asking a fellow convict what he did to get in jail

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Almost like asking a fellow convict what he did to get in jail
    Yeah, I kinda figured as much. While I suspect that a lot of people who regularly hunt black bears for meat bring the hide home (thus meeting the legal requirement) and then toss it, I was just curious as to what others did...

Personally, while I'd like to try black bear meat, I have no desire for a black bear rug / mount / hide / ect...

If and when I feel another rug is needed I will have another made with a large bear. Till then I started giving them away raw. Instead of paying for a rug, I decided to let myself buy another gun if needed! That way instead of puting another bear on the wall, I get a gun for a specific use that will last forever.

Most units you can not sell your bear rugs, tanned or not! Only predator control areas are you allowed to sell your untanned skins. Last I knew anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.No View Post
    Yeah, I kinda figured as much. While I suspect that a lot of people who regularly hunt black bears for meat bring the hide home (thus meeting the legal requirement) and then toss it, I was just curious as to what others did...

Personally, while I'd like to try black bear meat, I have no desire for a black bear rug / mount / hide / ect...
    This is simply not true under the existing regs (we will see what new changes are in the works). Under the existing regs it requires you to put the hide and skull to human use, throwing them in the trash is not human use!

Default Blanket

With say......5 tanned hides you could make a nice sized blanket. Back it with a nice soft fabric and it could be really nice.

Has anyone done that here?

I've thought about it but don't know who to send it to.

This is simply not true under the existing regs (we will see what new changes are in the works). Under the existing regs it requires you to put the hide and skull to human use, throwing them in the trash is not human use!
    Hmmm... that wasn't the understanding the last time I brought one in to get sealed and I asked specifically about what I had to do. I happened to have that one sealed by a Trooper, not a bio. He simply said the only requirement was that I need to have it sealed and a tooth pulled. After that I could throw it away if I wanted to. That happened to be a meat bear. I'd love to see an official ruling on this since throwing fish and meat away after a while isn't considered wanton waste.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Default Hides

I have a very nice spring hide that the hair was rubbed off the legs to the elbow. So that one is now a very nice sleeping pad. I get lots of coments on it when the kids do over nighters for sports. Others I give away or hang on the shed. Have them tanned and send them out to my Nephews in the states. Not sure what to do with the next one, but my daughter wants a sleeping pad, so a hunting we will go.

You might have to look thgis up online at the F&G website, I wan't going to write the whole thing out. AAC 92.220 (Salvage of game meat, furs and hides). Seem it is a little diffrent depending on where you are at.

Turns out that LuJon is correct as per the definition of "salvaging" the hide and skull of black bears per state code...

(49) "salvage" means to transport the edible meat, heart, liver, kidneys, head, skull, or hide, as required by statute or regulation, of a game animal or wild fowl to the location where the edible meat, heart, liver, or kidneys will be consumed by humans or processed for human consumption in order to save or prevent the edible meat, heart, liver, or kidneys from waste, and the head, skull, or hide will be put to human use;
    Looks like I might be in for a BOG proposal next year. I find it rediculous that you have to recover the hide and skull for anything more than getting them sealed so the state can have the info. I really don't see the difference between a moose and a bear when it's in my freezer. I'd actually be pleased to see it legal to remove a bear from the field with eveidence of sex attached to the meat and do away with the whole skinning thing all together. That and the skull should more than suffice.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

I will gladly step in here and disagree with Lujon. No reg requires any meat or hide to be put to human use. What is required is returning the meat or hide to a place where it may be put to human use. MAY is the key word. Once the product is returned to a processing point, it is required to be kept in a state suitable for human use for a period of time. I don't think that period of time is defined in regulation. However, LEO's I have talked with say a period of 2 weeks is commonly used.
    So once your meat, skull, and hide are home, you can legally throw them away after 2 weeks.
    The state of Alaska will not force you to eat, give away, wear, make something, or throw on the floor, the products of your successful hunt. Only each persons sense of ethics/commom sense can do that.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    I will gladly step in here and disagree with Lujon. No reg requires any meat or hide to be put to human use. What is required is returning the meat or hide to a place where it may be put to human use. MAY is the key word. Once the product is returned to a processing point, it is required to be kept in a state suitable for human use for a period of time. I don't think that period of time is defined in regulation. However, LEO's I have talked with say a period of 2 weeks is commonly used.
    So once your meat, skull, and hide are home, you can legally throw them away after 2 weeks.
    The state of Alaska will not force you to eat, give away, wear, make something, or throw on the floor, the products of your successful hunt. Only each persons sense of ethics/commom sense can do that.
    You can want the regs to mean whatever you would like but this is simply not how it is written.

"will be consumed by humans or processed for human consumption in order to save or prevent the edible meat, heart, liver, or kidneys from waste"

"and the head, skull, or hide will be put to human use"
    Sorry but there is not a lot of wiggle room here, if you are throwing away hides or meat you are breaking the law whether it is 2 minutes, 2 weeks or 2 months! This is simple wanton waste and as the law stands should be prosecuted as such.

Default I agree with MT

on this one. Once it is home and sealed, do whatever.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast