Thread: Sawdust supply in Fairbanks?

Default Sawdust supply in Fairbanks?

Do we HAVE a place I can get some, in smaller quantity then a dump truck load?
    Alaska, the Madness; Bloggity Stories of the North
    http://cloud9doula.wordpress.com/

Does this shotgun make my butt look big?

Check with Superior Hardwoods. I know they used to give away hardwood sawdust if you brought your own container.

Question

Check with any of the Millwork's.

What do you use it for?
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Thanks, supply found. Akres, covering poop in the outhouse once it warms up so it wont smell.

You might give wood stove ashes a try, too. I use those in my outhouse and it doesn't smell even in summer when it's pretty warm out.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
    Thanks, supply found. Akres, covering poop in the outhouse once it warms up so it wont smell.
    Oh geeeezzz, why did I ask.
    I was thinking gardening, building and ice house, insulation and augmenting a woodstove. Hope you were selective and chose some aromatic cedar.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Heh, just moving to my cabin next week. Hope there isn't a poopcicle!

Why not use lime?

I think it'd break down the waste (and help eliminate the smell) quicker than covering it with sawdust. Buy a sack of lime and toss some in the hole after each use or maybe once a day (whatever ends up giving the desired result).

Quote Originally Posted by upstream View Post
    Why not use lime?

I think it'd break down the waste (and help eliminate the smell) quicker than covering it with sawdust. Buy a sack of lime and toss some in the hole after each use or maybe once a day (whatever ends up giving the desired result).
    Yup, grew up with out houses and garden lime is the way to go. About 1/4 to 1/2 cup when you do business and not only will it cut the smell but also extend the life of your hole by decomposing the nasty faster. It wonít help decompose till thaw but if itís layered in you have a head start when worm weather comes.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Yup, grew up with out houses and garden lime is the way to go. About 1/4 to 1/2 cup when you do business and not only will it cut the smell but also extend the life of your hole by decomposing the nasty faster. It wonít help decompose till thaw but if itís layered in you have a head start when worm weather comes.
    Yup, I agree as well....

-Hydrated lime....

-We used it in the 2-holer;
    -also, we used an old broom handle to periodically knock down the "tower" (when temps allowed it)
    ....a well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed....

Default ...outhouse decor....

....hey....just remembered neat decorating ideas, when I had my outhouse....

-I found a toilet seat at the dump(good condition, and I sanitized it--
    ...I took a glue gun and glued pot pourrie all over it; hung it up inside, it was like a scented wreath!

-also, I kept a plunger in there...-yup!
    -Whenever we had a visitor happen to show up(which was rare)....that was a real conversation piece!
    (well, we talked about it when they returned to the cabin from the 2-holer...)

...also,as has been mentioned before, using blue foam insulation as your privy seat is a lifesaver for your bum, in those -20 temps

-can't wait to hear about your cabin!
    ....a well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed....

with the tropical nature of this winter my stalagmite keeps collapsing before it gets anywhere. almost sad.

sorry i have nothing more substantial to contribute other than what has already been said.

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Not putting paper down the hole helps the decomposition process too.

Use the paper as fire starter for the woodstove.

Quote Originally Posted by upstream View Post
    Not putting paper down the hole helps the decomposition process too.

Use the paper as fire starter for the woodstove.
    ...this is very true!

....I had a gold pan in my outhouse for burning the paper in....torched it right there;