Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got new fly rod!

Default Got new fly rod!

Bought a 9 weight today for the upcoming season. Gonna try and get the big 5 on the fly. God I can't wait till they get here (the salmon that is)
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

Dude. Details!!

9 wt would be good for the slam indeed.

Spring is upon us. Clean your lines and wax your ferrules.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Didn't want to go high dollar on this one as of yet. I'll get a better set up in the future but I bought a 9' Lamiglas and put an Okuma SLV 8/9 on it. I have one of the Okumas on my 4wt and it's been a good reel. I'm worried I might have sacrificed longevity of the set up going on the cheaper side (kings will prolly tear it up) but it is a start and I'll be upgrading later. Got all my gear out today and organized and sorted through it. Almost took off for the Kenai but with the snow and cold I decided against it. Turnagain Pass prolly isn't in the best hape right now and can be a scary drive when the roads are bad. 2 months to go! Now I have to break down and get the center pin rig too!

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor_1 View Post
    Didn't want to go high dollar on this one as of yet. I'll get a better set up in the future but I bought a 9' Lamiglas and put an Okuma SLV 8/9 on it. I have one of the Okumas on my 4wt and it's been a good reel. I'm worried I might have sacrificed longevity of the set up going on the cheaper side (kings will prolly tear it up) but it is a start and I'll be upgrading later. Got all my gear out today and organized and sorted through it. Almost took off for the Kenai but with the snow and cold I decided against it. Turnagain Pass prolly isn't in the best hape right now and can be a scary drive when the roads are bad. 2 months to go! Now I have to break down and get the center pin rig too!
    I was ready to make the run to the kenai on friday morning and passed as you did with the weather.

The Lamiglass will take the beating for sure. Plus if you put your truck in the ditch it will pull you out of it too

The only thing I would worry about is the drag on your reel. I have exploded more than one before I found a reel that is mid range price (375.00) and just takes it over and over and over. The are Solitude Reels made but Edco and Wyatt on here can get them. I used and abused a set of reels for him all summer and fall. He told me to try and kill them. I tried. They still work like day 1
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Right on Chuck. I know I might be gambling with a cheaper real and will prolly hate myself for it the first time I hook into a king. I might have to hit up one of those guys for a real.

Default Solitudes

Nice setup with the 9wt. Lamiglass, one tough setup.

I agree 100% on the Solitude reels. I have a couple of the original models made in the small machine shop in Michigan that are going as strong as day one. Great reel for a good price.

Quote Originally Posted by snowcamoman View Post
    Nice setup with the 9wt. Lamiglass, one tough setup.

I agree 100% on the Solitude reels. I have a couple of the original models made in the small machine shop in Michigan that are going as strong as day one. Great reel for a good price.

I have not fished nor seen the old reels. Can you post a picture for me. I know they are made in Mt Vernon Wa now. I got a 2 and 3 last year. I ended up using the smaller reel on reds, silvers and trouts just to try to kill it. Reds and silvers with it on a 6wt and bow and dollies on a 5wt. It never missed a beat. it is so sweet to fish with a drag you never have to worry about. Smooth and steady. Once I have it set for reds or silvers or whatever I love never having to adjust it
    Last edited by alaskachuck; 05-13-2010 at 12:07.

One more of one of my solitudes

Plus they look good too just like me
    Last edited by alaskachuck; 05-13-2010 at 12:07.

Default Same Design

AlaskaChuck,
    The old reels look almost identical to the new reels, just that they used a bake on powder coating. Here's an image of what mine looks like, even says Harris Reel Co.

http://hipwader.com/images/harrisreels.jpg

It sounds as if the newer models use a bit different spring/drag setup. I'm sure it's probably even better than the old one and that's hard to imagine, since they've been so reliable.

Good review on the older Harris Reels.
    http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...26tbs%3Disch:1

I never got to see the old drag to compare but I love this one. It takes some turns to get it to "tighten" but that is what makes it so fine tunable. Some reels you give it a half turn and your locking it down. Not these new ones. It took me a day to get used to having to turn it so much to tune it but I can really get it set so that I trust it and the rod and I dont do stupid fishman stuff. Thanks for the pics. Reels do look pretty much the same. I love mine

Sorry about the Hijack raptor.

We now return this tread to its rightfull owner

There is a Solitude dealer in Anchorage:

http://www.farnorthrodsmiths.com/Reels/Solitude.htm

Default 1st Rod

Got the girlfriend her first rod, a nice new Sage VT2! 7WT 9'-6". Can't wait to get out and use it!

Quote Originally Posted by bowdy15 View Post
    Got the girlfriend her first rod, a nice new Sage VT2! 7WT 9'-6". Can't wait to get out and use it!

Good choice. My wifes first was a 9' 7 weight. She used it for 2 years before she moved down to try 6 and 5 weights. Make sure to post pics of her first fish on it

Default RL Winston

I learned to fly fish on the Henrys Fork of the Salmon just out side of west Yellowstone on RL Winston 6wt. It was the most amazing fishing rod i have ever held! The down side was I had to give it back to the guy i was fishing with at the end of the day!

Cut throut, rainbows and brookies!

Walt
    Gulkana River Raft Rentals
    907-822-4290
    New in 2010!
    On the banks of the Gulkana River
    Kings and Reds

hey bowdy be sure to bring that on the trip this weekend she wont miss it at all!!!!!!!
    -Tight Lines & head shakin

Default Deathq

She would kill me if that were to happen! She caught the first fish on my first float last year in my cat, so she needs to do it again this year. After she catches the first one though its on!

yeah your probably right, better let her break it in and keep the good luck going.

Quote Originally Posted by 900fusion View Post
    yeah your probably right, better let her break it in and keep the good luck going.

Never ever touch your womans rod

yeah yeah but she's allowed to touch yours!

Quote Originally Posted by 900fusion View Post
    yeah yeah but she's allowed to touch yours!

Well of course she is

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast