Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: suzuki 2.5 h.p.

Default suzuki 2.5 h.p.

Thinking of buying 2.5 suzuki for my 7'3" tender.Anybody got a review,good or bad ?

Default Musta scared everyone off...

Calling yourself akclearcutter Anyway, I have a Honda 2hp and it is great on my 8'10" inflatible tender. Seems there was something awhile back on the Suzuki. I think the diff is the honda has a centrifical clutch and the Suzuki has a neutral and forward shifter. Both must be turned 180 to go in reverse. The Honda just sips gas, Suzi probably does too. Honda weighs 27 lbs, I think the Suzi is a couple of pounds heavier. Easy to get on and off at that weight...

I have the Suzuki 2.5, it works pretty good, I would recommend it. A little advice, get some extra shear pins for your prop, I have sheared a couple by hitting bottom.

The Honda is aircooled, so there is no impeller to go bad or need to flush it when done in the salt. I have the Honda and really like it. Sorry, this is as close as helpful as I can get to the question about the Suzuki.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Quote Originally Posted by jrogers View Post
    The Honda is aircooled, so there is no impeller to go bad or need to flush it when done in the salt. I have the Honda and really like it. Sorry, this is as close as helpful as I can get to the question about the Suzuki.
    What size raft are you using? I only have a Elliot life raft canister on the boat now and looking for a new raft and motor. How many people can fit in the raft?

thanks, Brad
    Boatless

Quote Originally Posted by FISHFACE View Post
    What size raft are you using? I only have a Elliot life raft canister on the boat now and looking for a new raft and motor. How many people can fit in the raft?

thanks, Brad

Brad,

I have the 270TDS from Gary Kings.

http://www.alaskaseries.com/270TDS.htm

It can take 3 or 4 guys OK, and the website says that it can carry 948lbs. It only weighs 50 lbs, so it is somewhat easy to get on and off the roof. Jim King is a good guy to deal with. Last year the raft I had ordered was late for my inside passage trip, and he loaned me another smaller one for my trip up, and then exchanged it when mine came in. I think he will repair any punctures for life for free as well. He puts some 'armor claw' on the bottom that protects it against rocks which is a good option. There are other good airfloor tenders, but I am happy with this choice. The downside to this one is that he does not carry a lot of inventory, so I had to order what I wanted. Also, the show prices are a LOT less than what is listed on the website.

If you don't get one before then, we can share mine when we go out this spring and you can see what you think. It's nice that they put shrimp opening on Tax Day, so now I am looking forward to April 15th!
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Brad,

I have the 270TDS from Gary Kings.

http://www.alaskaseries.com/270TDS.htm

It can take 3 or 4 guys OK, and the website says that it can carry 948lbs. It only weighs 50 lbs, so it is somewhat easy to get on and off the roof. Jim King is a good guy to deal with. Last year the raft I had ordered was late for my inside passage trip, and he loaned me another smaller one for my trip up, and then exchanged it when mine came in. I think he will repair any punctures for life for free as well. He puts some 'armor claw' on the bottom that protects it against rocks which is a good option. There are other good airfloor tenders, but I am happy with this choice. The downside to this one is that he does not carry a lot of inventory, so I had to order what I wanted. Also, the show prices are a LOT less than what is listed on the website.

If you don't get one before then, we can share mine when we go out this spring and you can see what you think. It's nice that they put shrimp opening on Tax Day, so now I am looking forward to April 15th!

thanks Jim,
    I need to get another raft anyway, so I hope to have one by the time we go out. I think I'm going to go with a 6h.p. Suzuki because it weighs the same as the 4h.p. and both have internal tanks. Where is the the Gary King store at?

thanks,Brad
    Boatless

One thing to consider with the little single cylinder 4-strokes is that they are much louder and vibrate more than the two cylinder 4-strokes. That being said, a friend of mine has the 6 horse suzuki and it is much quieter, smoother, and much more powerful than my 4 horse yammie. I will be upgrading to a bit bigger tender and a 9.8 tohatsu in the future. Not as portable, but we use ours a lot.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

thanks Jim,
    I need to get another raft anyway, so I hope to have one by the time we go out. I think I'm going to go with a 6h.p. Suzuki because it weighs the same as the 4h.p. and both have internal tanks. Where is the the Gary King store at?

thanks,Brad

He doesn't have a store. He's got a storage/warehouse and its not the easiest place to find. Best bet is to call him. He travels to alot of shows all over the state and lower 48 along with traveling to China where his boats are made. They were made in South Korea but I think he has recently changed to China.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    One thing to consider with the little single cylinder 4-strokes is that they are much louder and vibrate more than the two cylinder 4-strokes. That being said, a friend of mine has the 6 horse suzuki and it is much quieter, smoother, and much more powerful than my 4 horse yammie. I will be upgrading to a bit bigger tender and a 9.8 tohatsu in the future. Not as portable, but we use ours a lot.
    Pete, what type and size of tender are you running? Did your friend like his Suzuki?

thanks,Brad
    Boatless

Pete, what type and size of tender are you running? Did your friend like his Suzuki?

thanks,Brad
    Currently I have a 9'2" maxxon with an inflatable floor. It weighs around 80 pounds. My friend has not used the suzuki that much, but I like it a lot better than my yamaha. If you plan to use the tender for anything other than going to and from shore I recommend getting one with an inflatable keel and a hard floor.

I only plan on using it when I go to hunting or go camping out of whittier. When the boat is in Seward we just use the Elliot 10 person life raft in case of emergency. I have 14' of room left on top of the boat for a raft and i don't want to get too small of a raft, but also don't want anything my 6 h.p. can't push. I would like to be able to have 3 men and some gear to get to shore for hunting. Would your 9'2" raft be able to do that or should I go bigger?

thanks
    Boatless

You could get to shore without issues. I had my Dad, Mom, dogs, and two kids in it this summer. We were just ferrying to shore. I suspect that it would be fine for you.

cool, thanks Pete
    Boatless

Default I agree with everything...

JRogers said about the Alaska Series, really a fine inflatible and the grizzly claw bottom is priceless for beaching...except, I too have the 270 tds and it's like most 4-man tents, just right for 2, crowded for 3. If I put 3 people in the 270, there for sure isn't any room for gear. AK Series makes a tender called "Moose Hunter" it is 13 feet long and says 5-6 people, so would likely be fine for 3-4 with some gear. If JRogers really can get 4 people in a 270TDS, I better check mine, maybe they sent me the smaller one! Also, I bought mine for about 1/2 of the list price. Did you find the website at www.alaskaseries.com ?

We only use our tender to go to shore and back, but like Spoiled One said, if you want to do other things in it, or go very far, get one with a keel and maybe a solid bottom. You can only go so fast in a tender like mine, they don't really plane, although it does steer pretty well. At 50 lbs. it only takes one person to put the raft on top or get it down, and two people can carry it with motor attached up the beach. My 2hp Honda 4-stroke weighing 27 pounds is a dream for what I use it for, and very low maintenance being air-cooled and uses about a cup of oil in a change, no impeller as others have said etc. If you need to go bigger, others already gave some good advice on that.

thanks Cap'n Ron. Since I got the room i my just get the larger one. I left Jim a message so I guess I'll just wait for him to return my call. thanks for all of the good info.
    Boatless

Default Alaska Series Inflatable Boats

thanks Cap'n Ron. Since I got the room i my just get the larger one. I left Jim a message so I guess I'll just wait for him to return my call. thanks for all of the good info.
    Hi Brad,

I'm currently traveling in Asia working with the different factories that custom build the unique components you find on my Alaska Series boats.

I will be away from phone contact while I'm traveling in Asia.

I do have email access and my email is linked at the bottom of my website page. www.alaskaseries.com
    A direct email is the best way to any specific questions about the Alaska Series Inflatable boats while I'm traveling.

I'll be back in Anchorage in late March, just a couple days before setting up my display at the MatSu Outdoors show.
    The month of April I'll have booths at all 4 Alaska sports shows, ( Matsu, Anchorage, Fairbanks and Soldotna). Visiting one of these outdoor shows will be the best way to meet up with me in person and take advantage of my Show Special pricing.

I have the locations and Dates of all the shows linked on my website. http://www.alaskaseries.com/Tradeshows.htm
    Brad, I've also sent you a direct message to your forum mail box.

I'd also like to thank all my customers for the great feedback they have given about their Alaska Series boats.

Good Boating

Jim King

Alaska Series Inflatable Boats,
    The Toughest Bottoms in the Business,
    River Rafts, Catarafts, Inflatable Kayaks,
    Inflatable Canoes, Inflatable Sport Boats,
    Inflatable Jet Boats, Tenders and Dinghies.
    WWW.alaskaseries.com

(907)248-2900
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default We shared a Limo at the boat show!!

Hi Jim,
    I just thought I would drop a line. Can I get your boat show pricing and have one shipped to Skagway?
    P.S. ak clear cutter sorry for the the thread hijack Chuck

I also have the 270TDS and looking to buy either the yamaha 2.5 or honda 2. Are you running a Long or Short Shaft with your 270TDS. I don't have my dingy out and looking to buy a motor. I would think the SS will be just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by chico99645 View Post
    I also have the 270TDS and looking to buy either the yamaha 2.5 or honda 2. Are you running a Long or Short Shaft with your 270TDS. I don't have my dingy out and looking to buy a motor. I would think the SS will be just fine.

The soft transom on the 270TDS requires a long shaft motor. I was told by Jim King that the short shaft will not work, although I have never tried one on mine.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast