Thread: Share an Interesting Read from the past about Alaskan Agriculture or Gardening.

Matanuska-Susitna, AK / Tampa Bay, FL Areas

Default Share an Interesting Read from the past about Alaskan Agriculture or Gardening.

Please, share an interesting read you found enlightening with others. Here is one I found and read. It was extremely informative even though it is outdated 100 years.

This very interesting read from 1902 was published by the U.S. Department of Agriculture for Alaskans. Google Books copied it from a copy found at the Library of the University of Michigan.

I downloaded it in PDF (in the upper right hand corner) and had a wonderful time reading it.

1902 Bulletin - Alaska Agricultural Experiment Stations, Volumes 1-11

http://books.google.com/books?id=sTT...age&q=&f=false

there is a good cook inlet history book you can likely find it at titlewave in anchorage or online.

it is a compilation of short articles, has a few things about ag in the matanuska valley, gold in sunrise, salmon, moose, caribou, fire histories, etc. Far from a thorough account but interesting. it is out of print now, published by alaska northwest The Cook Inlet collection: Two hundred years of selected Alaskan historythere are lots of copies around anchorage, must have been a textbook at one time.

By the way, the current botanical garden at the U of Fairbanks is named after Georgeson.

Default here's what I have been reading.....

"Like a Tree to the Soil": A History of Farming in the Tanana Valley, 1903-1940by Josephine E. Papp and Josie A. Phillips
    I am about halfway through this and it is very interesting. It is wonderful to learn what has been tried and accomplished locally. I bought it at the Farmers Market last summer.

“The Winter Harvest Handbook: Year Round Vegetable Production Using Deep Organic Techniques and Unheated Greenhouses” by Eliot Coleman
    I bought this hoping that I would get some ideas on extending the growing season – and it has given me a lot of food for thought. (no pun intended. )

Quote Originally Posted by andweav View Post
    there is a good cook inlet history book you can likely find it at titlewave in anchorage or online.

it is a compilation of short articles, has a few things about ag in the matanuska valley, gold in sunrise, salmon, moose, caribou, fire histories, etc. Far from a thorough account but interesting. it is out of print now, published by alaska northwest The Cook Inlet collection: Two hundred years of selected Alaskan historythere are lots of copies around anchorage, must have been a textbook at one time.

By the way, the current botanical garden at the U of Fairbanks is named after Georgeson.
    Thanks. This book can be found online at different Book Brokers at the following link. Thanks again.

http://books.google.com/books?id=7L8...gbs_navlinks_s

Quote Originally Posted by grcg View Post
    "Like a Tree to the Soil": A History of Farming in the Tanana Valley, 1903-1940by Josephine E. Papp and Josie A. Phillips
    I am about halfway through this and it is very interesting. It is wonderful to learn what has been tried and accomplished locally. I bought it at the Farmers Market last summer.

“The Winter Harvest Handbook: Year Round Vegetable Production Using Deep Organic Techniques and Unheated Greenhouses” by Eliot Coleman
    I bought this hoping that I would get some ideas on extending the growing season – and it has given me a lot of food for thought. (no pun intended. )
    Like a tree to the soil: a history of farming in Alaska's Tanana Valley ... By Josephine E. Papp, Josie A. Phillips

http://books.google.com/books?id=LpR...gbs_navlinks_s

http://books.google.com/books?id=aAn...gbs_navlinks_s