Thread: quake on the ice

Default quake on the ice

Hey all

Out this morning and must have been a small quake in near Fairbanks. I have heard ice crack and moan before but this was lots more then that. Plus had water splash out of the hole. There was a long gun shot sound followed by what sounded like a huge object splashing in the water. Anyone else ever experienced this or was it my imagination???

Mike

Default Quake?

Do you think it might have just been the ice settling? As the ice gets thicker the water level drops slightly and the ice falls a little bit. Or maybe we did have a little trimer that I missed.
    "Bark,bark,bark,sniff,sniff,bark,and bark" - Lynchs Blue Roan Lynch E.C.K.

Good point on the settling ice, I guess I was reading about the quake in Chile and they said that places as far away as Japan and Alaska were going to feel tremors, so I guess that was the first thing that came to my mind. What ever it was it scared the crap out of me. When I was about 8 I broke thru the ice on a Iowa farm pond so anything out of the ordinary spooks me.

Quote Originally Posted by mlwent View Post
    Hey all

Out this morning and must have been a small quake in near Fairbanks. I have heard ice crack and moan before but this was lots more then that. Plus had water splash out of the hole. There was a long gun shot sound followed by what sounded like a huge object splashing in the water. Anyone else ever experienced this or was it my imagination???

Mike
    You picked it right!

Earthquake Details

Magnitude
    Date-Time
    Saturday, February 27, 2010 at 15:16:06 UTC
    Saturday, February 27, 2010 at 06:16:06 AM at epicenter
    Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones
    Depth
    1.3 km (~0.8 mile) set by location program
    Region
    CENTRAL ALASKA
    Distances
    8 km (5 miles) W (280) from Four Mile Road, AK
    11 km (7 miles) WNW (301) from Nenana, AK
    30 km (18 miles) N (351) from Anderson, AK
    79 km (49 miles) WSW (252) from Fairbanks, AK
    Location Uncertainty
    horizontal +/- 0.3 km (0.2 miles); depth fixed by location program
    Parameters
    NST= 30, Nph= 25, Dmin=59.4 km, Rmss=1.03 sec, Gp= 79,
    M-type=local magnitude (ML), Version=1
    Source
    Alaska Earthquake Information Center
    Geophysical Institute, University of Alaska Fairbanks
    Event ID
    ak10035992

Talking

Ahh, you disappoint me king! I saw a new reply from you and I thought it would be another funny. LOL
    "Bark,bark,bark,sniff,sniff,bark,and bark" - Lynchs Blue Roan Lynch E.C.K.

Quote Originally Posted by lynch View Post
    Ahh, you disappoint me king! I saw a new reply from you and I thought it would be another funny. LOL
    You're not laughing?

I have had this happen and not due to an earthquake.
    About 20 years ago friends and I were fishing the lake trout grounds on Lake Simcoe with an outfitter. We were about 12 miles out from shore in 100 or so feet of water. Just after lunch there was a massive cracking sound/vibration along with the hut coming off the ice and water shooting up through the hole!!!!
    Everone in the area came busting out of the huts and looking around.
    There was nothing to see.
    The outfitter came to pick us up at the end of the day and informed us that he could not take us all the way in because a large pressure ridge had formed just off the shore. When we arrived in the bay we were amazed to see a pressure ridge up to 15 feet high in places!!!!
    It must have been awesome to see it form considering we were bucked a foot in the air 12 miles away.
    So it wasn't an earthquake, it was an icequake.

Mike, Drifter, I'm glad both of you are back safely. I would assure you that either of these would have had me finding out what top speed of my Arctic Cat snowmachine is. The regular moans and groans of the ice are bad enough. I can only imagine what you guys went through. I guess this is another reason to enforce my thinking of leave the truck on the bank!

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by DanAKAL View Post
    I guess this is another reason to enforce my thinking of leave the truck on the bank!

Dan
    Dan,
    I know what you mean as I was with Mike with this happened and the first thing I did was look at my truck sitting on the ice wondering if it was about to go in. Makes you think a bit more seriously about the "what if's". It was surreal and nothing like I'd experienced before and hope to never see/feel again. Wish we could've got it on camera though, if not just to see our faces. Another hardwater story to share down the road.....

Default 1964 Quake

In 167 my wife and I were ice fishing on Finger Lake. We got to visiting with to couples. Both of them hand station in Fairbanks, they were out fishing in their ice house, they said that all at once water came flooding out of their holes, my the time they could get out they were soaking wet. They ran for their truck an got out . They gcould reportabley see the ice move as the waves crossed the lake. I have never like fishing in an ice house or anything else.

Big Fisherman

It is an amazing feeling hearing ice crack and listening to travel past you. I, too, fell through the ice on a river in Iowa when I was a kid out pheasant hunting; pretty scary.

I grew up in Iowa too. I used to ice fish at Guttenburg. The best fishing was on the Wisconsin side of the river as there were no roads in that area and the access to fishing those back waters was very difficult. We used to pay a fellow to take us across the Mississippi in an airboat which was a wooden scow with sheet metal on the bottom. It was safe to cross the thin ice of the main channel in that rig. This was in about 1970 and it cost us $1 to go over and to be returned late in the day. Good crappie and blue gill fishing for sure.

Default missing the big river

I miss Iowa, for sure fishing the Mississippi. I would sell every trout in Alaska for some Walleyes. I even miss the fishing in North Dakota. The Red was great for channel cats. I think Iowa is a very miss oprotunity for sportsmen. Great fishing on both sides of the state, hundreds of great lakes and reservoirs. Thousands of farm ponds. And huge corn fed deer, turkeys and back in the day millions of pheasants. Plus cant forget Hawkeyes Football

Corn fed Iowa boy here! I agree about the abundance of outdoorsman activities that can be had there. It has been very disapointing to see the decline in pheasant numbers even over my 30 years. My dad now makes an anual trip to SD to hit pheasants there. Only problem with Iowa is that there isn't much else going on, i guess thats why we came here...lots to do and see!! I graduated from ISU, but like everyone else, grew up cheering for the Hawks....as long as they aren't playing state I am still a Hawkeye fan!!!
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." ~Doug Larson

Default pheasent numbers

I have heard some say that the increase in Turkeys is a main cause of the decline in pheasants. A lot of nests destroyed by turkeys. That and tons and tons of CRP grass plowed under. I know my dad's farm lost over 120 acres of great bromegrass cover. I like turkey hunting but I don't know if I would trade a week of turkey hunting for a season of good pheasant hunting. And to stick to the original topic. I love me some farm pond ice fishing. As long as I don't fall thru.

Mike

Default when young

I was ice fishing on Fort Peck Reservior in Montana. We were by the dam fishing for 'eyes and ling and northerns. We heard a loud cracking and then could see the pressure line coming across the lake at us.

Where we were at you could not see land on the other side of the lake due to the curvature of the earth.....a huge pressure ridge came boiling at us - crushing the ice together in a 6 or 7 foot heaping mound of ice.....pretty exciting for a 5 or 6 year old kid!

Default for an adult too!!

Bullelkklr

That would been pretty scary no matter how old you are.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mlwent View Post
    I miss Iowa, for sure fishing the Mississippi. I would sell every trout in Alaska for some Walleyes. I even miss the fishing in North Dakota. The Red was great for channel cats. I think Iowa is a very miss oprotunity for sportsmen. Great fishing on both sides of the state, hundreds of great lakes and reservoirs. Thousands of farm ponds. And huge corn fed deer, turkeys and back in the day millions of pheasants. Plus cant forget Hawkeyes Football
    is my initial response to your "sell every trout in Alaska for some walleyes" crack. you've gotta be kidding me! i watch guys catch walleyes on fishing shows and when I watch them reel in these docile creatures its hilarious to watch the angler shake his rod in hopes of getting the beast to at least give him a little tug. I've never caught or eaten a walleye but from the looks of things they aren't bursting w/ testosterone.
    Some flat lander apparently thought pike was the end all as well by polluting the Susitna system w/ the verminous creatures. Now they want to blame the gillnetters who fish one day a week for the coho disappearing..... I know off this off topic from earth quakes while ice fishing but for a minute i thought i was on the Iowa chamber of commerce web site

I've been on Big Lake near Burnt Point in December when the ice was only about 10" thick, and when cars/trucks raced by on the ice road at 25 mph+, I would feel the ice move and water would gush out of the hole. I was a good 100 yards or so away from the ice road, too.

Default off topic

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    is my initial response to your "sell every trout in Alaska for some walleyes" crack. you've gotta be kidding me! i watch guys catch walleyes on fishing shows and when I watch them reel in these docile creatures its hilarious to watch the angler shake his rod in hopes of getting the beast to at least give him a little tug. I've never caught or eaten a walleye but from the looks of things they aren't bursting w/ testosterone.
    Some flat lander apparently thought pike was the end all as well by polluting the Susitna system w/ the verminous creatures. Now they want to blame the gillnetters who fish one day a week for the coho disappearing..... I know off this off topic from earth quakes while ice fishing but for a minute i thought i was on the Iowa chamber of commerce web site

Yeap I know I got off topic, just love my home state, Alaska is great but nothing like home. So sorry bout that. And I would agree that pike are a wicked bad thing where they don't belong.