Thread: September Silvers?

Default September Silvers?

It looks like that my trip to AK this year will fall in September beginning Labor Day weekend and for two weeks or so following. I enjoyed fishing the Kenai last year for Reds. Will I find silvers in the Kenai river in September? Are there some other rivers on the Kenai peninsula or near Anchorage that have good silver runs at that time? Thanks in advance.

You should have a very good chance of catching silvers on the middle and lower end of the kenai.

The salt in seward offers some great silver fishing too that time of the year.

If your looking for some fun try silvers and rainbows on the middle river section of the Kenai. You have a great chance for some quality silvers plus a chance at a couple of hog rainbows and dollies too.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

I'll be bank fishing or wading. Yes, I'm open to targeting other fish.

What town are you staying in while there? Being mobile and moving around? Staying in one motel/campground the whole time? PM me if you would prefer. There is a specific reason I ask in case you are wondering.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Yes there are silvers in the Kenai River in September. Probably my favorite time of year to fish the silvers here as there are fewer people, the silvers are bigger on average, and the trout are gearing up for winter. Only problem might be the fact that the pinks will be in force at that time as well.

Twenty Mile River, Kasilof River, and Swanson River are a couple of others that have silvers in September. Many of the streams north of Anchorage will be winding down around Labor Day but you should still be able to find some chrome fish if you look in the Park Highway streams that run into the Susitna like the Willow, Sunshine Creek, Rabidoux, or Sheep Creek. Little Su would be another one worth checking out.

Default Kenai September Silvers

That was also my favorite time to fish the Kenai. I've never banked fished the Kenai for Silvrs but I know several people that fish Silvers from Centennial Park by the bridge. The Swanson River is also a great spot if you time the tides correctly. Good luck!

Default Kodiak's Silver Salmon Fishery

It's an hour flight from Anchorage, and if you are from the Lower 48 you may be able to book direct for the same cost as to Anchorage.

It's one of the strongest in the state, with plenty of unguided bank fishing opportunity. Kodiak's rivers are generally short, which equates to plenty of dime bright fish.

Prices are pretty much par with mainland Alaska. There are plenty of B&B's and about 100 miles of road system. ADF&G generally opens all rivers upstream of bridge crossings after September 15th, in the meantime, there is plenty of beach and open bay casting areas to have at them prior to that date.

If you take in a charter at sea for halibut, chances are real good you also can wham your generous at-sea limit of silvers as well.

My most remarkable silver catch came right downtown on the pavement in the 90's. I picked one up still flopping that had been dropped by an eagle...

Rosenberg/Florida
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

Default September Silvers

We will be staying with our daughters family in Anchorage, but will hopefully slip away for a few days with my son-in-law to fish the Kenai. Any recommendations are appreciated. Another option is that we could drive to fishing for daytrips from Anchortown. Again thanks for all your help!

gramps

Default September Silvers

How effective is bank fishing for silvers? Any recommended places? Any favorite lures? I've never fished for silvers, so I'm new at this. Not new to fishing, just new to fishing silvers. Thanks in advance!

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by gramps View Post
    We will be staying with our daughters family in Anchorage, but will hopefully slip away for a few days with my son-in-law to fish the Kenai. Any recommendations are appreciated. Another option is that we could drive to fishing for daytrips from Anchortown. Again thanks for all your help!

gramps
    Give Whittier a looksy....

Quote Originally Posted by gramps View Post
    How effective is bank fishing for silvers? Any recommended places? Any favorite lures? I've never fished for silvers, so I'm new at this. Not new to fishing, just new to fishing silvers. Thanks in advance!
    Bank fishing for silvers is effective. If you're gonna be fishing the Kenai, try some of the board walks in town in Soldotna. Get some good quality cured roe and drift it accross the bottom. There should be a few straglers in some of the rivers on the Old Seward highway as you head south out of Anchorage. Pick up some steelhead jigs and try drifting those under a float. This is one of the most effective ways I know of for catching silvers. They love those pink maribou steelhead jigs.
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"