Thread: Rookie with Questions

Default Rookie with Questions

I first would like to say this forum is very educational and entertaining. I would like your opinion on one specific issue. I should tell you about my setup. I have a 2006 20' Fish-Rite "lite" with a 50/35 Yamaha 4-Stroke, console, 4 boxes and a built in 18 gal tank (typical guide boat). I am having problems with 4 individuals and moderate gear getting on step. Suggestions on prop size and pitch, tips on weight distribution, or accessories like jack plates will help me tremendously.

Quote Originally Posted by TALAGA View Post
    I first would like to say this forum is very educational and entertaining. I would like your opinion on one specific issue. I should tell you about my setup. I have a 2006 20' Fish-Rite "lite" with a 50/35 Yamaha 4-Stroke, console, 4 boxes and a built in 18 gal tank (typical guide boat). I am having problems with 4 individuals and moderate gear getting on step. Suggestions on prop size and pitch, tips on weight distribution, or accessories like jack plates will help me tremendously.
    Your Fish-Rite is a very nice boat. Sell your 50/35, put a 200 HP on it, forget about the Kenai, run the rivers up north and be a happy camper! Your three buddies will be happy also. Just my opinion!
    Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

TALAGA,

I also have a 2006, 20' Fish Rite and have the same problem. I have a Mercury 50/35 with dolphin fins and with 4 or 5 guys I cannot get on step either. I have thought of changing my prop also but don't know what size or pitch. I herd all the guides have either bored out their heads or the are running bigger lower units. Wished I would have known that prior to buying the Merc. that I did. Do you by chance work @ Kuparuk? We should run the Kenai this summer.

Default set up

Guy's, I have the exact same set up with no problems at all, the merc is an extrememly strong motor. Sounds to me you are using a prop made for speed, git rid of it, you are only gainning mabey 2 miles per hour with it, I have one so I know (I use it on the salt when it is just my wife and I). you need a prop with a pitch designed to get you out of the hole. You can bore holes and do what ever else you like but do not need to with the Kenai Lite. You have the lightest boat on the river and do not need to worry about tinkiering around with the lower unit or a 60 power head.
    shoot me a pm with you prop size and I will let you know how to correct it.

Clice,

Pretty new to this site and don't know how to pm you? I'll look into that. But till then I do have some questions for you. I run 3blade 13pitch and I think a 10.75" or 10.5" either way I'm very interested in what you run and how may people. I ran out of Seward and with 5 guys couldn't get on step, just pushed water. Do you run the Kenai and if so how may people can you run in your boat confortably? Any and all info would be very helpful.

Default Seeblaze

check your pm

Default Getting up on step

I ran a 14 pitch prop and for some reason changed it to an 11 and couldn't get up on step. I forgot to put the 14 back in the boat. Pitch is a big factor. Can't say I'm an expert at all but even if it's just for info go to piranha.com, I see they make a 4cyl & 3 cyl, first get the throttle plate off and get 50hp. Following is data I found. There is a lot of other info on there on how this all works.
    Motor Specs

Manufacturer: Mercury
    Model: "EFI"
    Year: 2006
    Horsepower: 50.0
    Cylinders: 4
    Type: 4 stroke
    Gear Ratio: 1.83:1
    Min WOT RPM: 5500
    Max WOT RPM: 6000
    12-1/4 x 9 x 3(22 - 25) MPH1211CReplacement Blade: 12 x 11, C-Style12 x 11 x 3(27 - 31) MPH103/813CReplacement Blade: 10-3/8 x 13, C-Style10-3/8 x 13 x 3(31 - 36) MPH101/815CReplacement Blade: 10-1/8 x 15, C-Style10-1/8 x 15 x 3(36 - 42) MPH113/417CReplacement Blade: 11-3/4 x 17, C-Style11-3/4 x 17 x 3(41 - 48) MPH

Default interesting

That is some interesting info, I just am not a believer. I will gladly try one out if given to me for product testing, I am sure I can put all those sizes to the test in less than a weeks time, but come on even if we could run a 50 those specs if I read right say 41+mph......hmmmm I dont buy it. I have run a lot of prop sizes and none of those sizes you give are even close to the best prop that I have found for this motor and boat. Please make me a believer

Default Make us both believers

alaskapiranha,

I will have to agree with Clice.

SEEBLAZE---I feel your frustration. In my original email I asked a couple questions and neglected to tell you what I tried. I did change my prop from the factory 14 pitch to a work prop (11 5/8 X 11 pitch) and it did not help me get on step. I also played with my weight distribution moving things forward, ie seat boxes...coolers and still not luck. I am not giving up. I will be investing in a CMC Electric Jack Plate that should help me with the hole shot and also raise the motor in the shallows. I also discovered that when I installed my remote throttle control box I did not adjust my throttle cables correct, so I might have been robbbing myself of some power (knucklehead move). I am sticking with the prop, adding the jack plate, playing with my gear and I think I should be ok. I will let you know how I fair. I don't work @ Kuparuk, but I do work in Oil & Gas in Alaska. I would run the Kenai with you this summer, but if I do not get this fixed we may be meeting at a lake!!

Clice- its reads like you are pretty informed. What do you think about my plan of attack?

Unhappy

Talaga,
    I feel your pain for sure, Clice sent me a p.m. me some good info he said,"3 blade 11.25 x 10 pitch is what you want. That prop you have might be an alright one if they ever go to 50hp but it will still just be a water ski prop and not a work horse. That prop demension I gave you is the one you want, I have a lot of hours invested in finding a prop that will lift my self and 4 people up." I looked into Clice and he runs the Kenai more then you and I probally ever would. I had my throttle plate installed by AK power sports and I couldn't get on step with the factory blade I mentioned earlier. I feel that Clice wouldn't steer us in the wrong direction, for he has the same set up as we do. I work up on the slope and I knew of another person that bought a fish rite and thought it was you. But if all fails we could always run the river with less people. But that's not why I bought the boat I did, if you know what I mean. I have a hydraulic jack plate and it didn't help me with getting on step with the factory prop, but I feel that with Clice's recomedations, dophin fins and the jack, getting on step shouldn't be a problem. The only problem is we have to wait 4 or 5 month's to try it out .

SEEBLAZE - thanks for the info. I will probably purchase a 11 1/4 X 10 prop and use my 11 5/8 X 11 as my spare!! I seem to visit this site at least twice a week, so i am sure we can bounce around more ideas or at least ask the questions more seasoned boaters already worked through.

The thanks needs to go to Clice. I'm just giving you the info he gave me. I plan on buying 2 of the props Clice recomended and use the factory one when I want to pull tubers on the lake, or if I run with only 2 people.

TALAGA---check your pm