Thread: what stock should I look for?

Default what stock should I look for?

I am buying my wifes first hunting rifle. have always liked a heavy wood stock for accuracy, but I heard that alaske can be rough on wood stocks and blued rifles. what are the opinions of some of the outdoorsmen how bad does the wood stock do in the alaska weather?

I'm not in Alaska, but the weather and terrain here in Montana can be just as hard on stocks. Wood will warp with changing hunidty and temps. That's a fact. Laminated will hold up better and it's stronger, but it is heavy and also subject to some shrinking and swelling and possible warping.

The first synthetic stocks I consider are B&C Medalists. They have full aluminum block bedding and are available for many standard factory actions. Most, if not all, also come with Decelerator recouil pads which is a real plus, especially for gals.

If B&C doesn't make what I need, my next choice would be a pillar bedd McMillan. About twice the price of a B&C, but they can make you stock for just about any rifle. You can also get a McMillan blank and have a good smith inlet it and action/pillar bed it.

-Mark

Even though I am a lover of a good syn stock and most of my hunting rifles wear McMillans your wifes wood stock will do fine as long as the action is glass bedded. Try bedding it with a free floated barrel and if the accuracy is there she will have a nice hunting rifle.
    Tennessee

If you like wood and blued steel go with that. Remember this whole stainless/synthetic rage is only about 30 years old. Somehow, rifles were used in Alaska before that.

One thing to keep in mind is that no rifle will hold up well if not taken care of. I carried a blued rifle in Southeast Alaska when I was growing up and never had a problem with rust, but it was kept well oiled and dried out after every trip and reoiled before storing. On the other hand I have a family member with a stainless steel synthetic stocked rifle, that literally has rust growing out from between the barrel and stock, why because he does not take care of his tools.

Stainless synthetic guns just allow things to go a little longer without maintenance and cleaning.

One issue many raise is the wood warping and changing point of impact, this can and does happen however, it is almost a non-issue with a well bedded and sealed stock. True the plastic stocks many factory rifles come with do not have an issue with warping due to moisture, but most are so flexible that they are very sensative to even the position of your hand on the stock. The good fiber composite stocks are good but few factory rifles come with them.

Anyway that's my $0.02

Default thanks

I was getting a little worried all I have is blued steel on all my rifles and a wood stock on my .300 win mag I have spent alot of time getting it the way I like it that would just be one more modification. but thanks for alll the input

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

bandhmo's $0.02 is worth a lot more than that.

I have only ONE SS-Synthetic stocked rifle and several with wood stocks.

For me, the stock design is a bigger issue, than whether it's wood or synthetic. (I like stocks with combs and cheek pieces.)

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.