Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black bear declasification

Question Black bear declasification

I heard a rumor that the black bear were being classified as fur bearers after July 1 of this year and that we would be able to sell the fur and claws from them. Anyone else hear of this.

havent heard of that....however i dont think it would be a good idea as it may put far more pressure on them statewide.

Release Lake Trout

Done deal guys, thank Corey rossi and SFW. Blackies are now furbearers statewide, sale of anything but gallbladders is okay.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    Done deal guys, thank Corey rossi and SFW. Blackies are now furbearers statewide, sale of anything but gallbladders is okay.
    This is what has been needed for a long long time. My thanks are on the way. Hopefully, this will help Black Bear Hunters the needed extra income to get back out there and kill a bunch of them. A decent hunter should be able to make expenses and a little extra for some new gear. Win Win for everyone that is for sure.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Default Yes

Good job MR, Rossi.. and SFW..

Rossi was up here Ox hunting and I thinked him personally. However, I believe that the truth is blacks are classified as BOTH game and furbearer. It will remain for the AC's and citizenry to set trapping seasons and allow for sale. I think Dave is crying "wolf" or bear, in this case. Blacks are not legal to sell statewide.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Rossi was up here Ox hunting and I thinked him personally. However, I believe that the truth is blacks are classified as BOTH game and furbearer. It will remain for the AC's and citizenry to set trapping seasons and allow for sale. I think Dave is crying "wolf" or bear, in this case. Blacks are not legal to sell statewide.
    try again MT.... Dave is spot on as of the statewide meeting last month...

my take is there will not be readily available trapping seasons out side predator control areas for some time though..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I am very interested to see how this is spelled out in the new regs! I don't know that there will be much money in them but at least it will save me from a large tanning bill every time I take a meat bear!! It may also afford me the opportunity to take a couple more per year from the area that I moose hunt which should pay dividends in the next few years!!

Default Bear hides.

I am going bear hunting this spring in an area with good moose habitat but few moose. I suspect the high bear numbers in the area are taking a heavy toll on the moose calves in the spring. I hope this gets more people out thinning the bear numbers in other areas like this. I am wondering though, what is the market for bear hides? Also are bear hides and parts legal to sell in other states, and will we be allowed to sell Alaska hides out of state.
    "Bark,bark,bark,sniff,sniff,bark,and bark" - Lynchs Blue Roan Lynch E.C.K.

OK, Vince and Dave.........post your bear hides for sale on the Outdoors Swap and Sell. Let's see what happens!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

keep in mind they sell black bears all over the lower 48 and canada, these won't be 'special" bears and bring a great price. only great hides and monster bears will pull in a couple hundred bucks..the rest you'll probably have a hard time selling.
    although the cubs outa unit 16 sell pretty hot too...
    but don't expect to go out and shoot a couple bears and have it pay for the flying....
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    keep in mind they sell black bears all over the lower 48 and canada, these won't be 'special" bears and bring a great price. only great hides and monster bears will pull in a couple hundred bucks..the rest you'll probably have a hard time selling.
    although the cubs outa unit 16 sell pretty hot too...
    but don't expect to go out and shoot a couple bears and have it pay for the flying....

O'well..........we will just keep termination problem DLP bears of both species and digging a hole and bury them. Long live the backhoe.

Default Sale

However, now it would appear - I can legally give my tanned bear leather to my leather working friends and family; who can make belts, wallets, and holsters. And if they are so inclined, they can sell the goods.

With that in mind; anyone know of a local tannery that will process a bear hide without the fur? I'm seeing decent bear, with so so hides, great meat that can now turn into a five-seven foot square side of leather.
    In the leather guilds, the old books proclaim that bear hide makes a superior leather over bovine.

Rob

Default last yrs too?

Does anyone know if this will apply to last years hides, grandfathered in per se? or just for next years Bear Hides option to sell after new reg is in place?

I don't think a bear hide will make very good leather, they are amazingly thin.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    OK, Vince and Dave.........post your bear hides for sale on the Outdoors Swap and Sell. Let's see what happens!
    will wait for the july 1 reg to start though

also the prop to classify them as fur bearers was amended to day... fur bearer struck from the prop.. and the trapping of them post poned to the Nov meeting so that the reg is in place... and will only be used for predatory management area's ( so far)
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/manag...supplement.pdf

If you get a predator control permit you can sell tanned hides. Skulls too.

Default Good management

It seems that the numbers of black bears hs been on the rise and I hope that this will be a way to keep the numbers in check a little more and hopefully get a few more moose around here..
    Now if they will just do something about the Kenai peninsula brown bears.......... Oh yea those dont exist, only in our imagination

I saw a 6 1/2 foot Griz rug for sale in a store in Jackson Hole, Wy. the griz was from Alaska.....But I couldn't believe the price: $7000....wow!!!!! I was told they sell 1 or 2 each year to mainly foreign tourists.

Default Jackson Hole is Crazy

When I lived in Idaho, I used to buy/sell a lot of antlers. One of my buyers was a guy in Jackson Hole, probably the guy's who's store you were in. He would sell chalk mule deer horns, the kind he wouldn't even buy for .10 a pound from me, and sell them for like $6 a piece to customers for their flower gardens and whatnot. Anyway, that guy is making a killing...
    Back on topic now, it's been interesting reading the bear hide posts the past couple of days. It would be great if you could sell their hide just like any other big game hide/cape. What's the difference?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast