Thread: Jon Boat for Alaska rivers & lakes?

Default Jon Boat for Alaska rivers & lakes?

Bonus time is almost here, I'm still trying to decide on a boat. I know I'm going about this backwards because I bought a motor & now I'm looking for a boat to go with it. I have a 2008 4 stroke Yamaha 20 hp short shaft. After listening to some advice I've decided that this motor will not power a boat big enough to take out on K-Bay & PWS so... That leaves me to getting a boat for the rivers & lakes.

I'm looking at an Alumacraft 1442 NCS Jon Boat.
    http://alumacraft.com/jon-boats/1442-ncs-2.php
    Do you think this would work well for:

1-Running up the Kenai (Kings and Trout)?
    2-Skilak and similar lakes (fishing, camping and hunting)?
    3-Running up to semi remote locations on rivers from launches on the road system for Moose and Caribou hunting? Will a prop (vs. a jet pump) be a huge handicap for this?

Also, realize that I'm a boating novice and don't plan to take the thing waaay up really shallow challenging rivers; I just want to get farther away than I currently can on foot and maybe haul something back for the freezer.

Any input will be appreciated.

i have a 1436 alumacraft with a ten hp on it and it does fine doing 20 mph on flat water and goes nicely up rivers. it is rough on any lake that has any waves at all and no fun when windy on a lake. i can go in about 8 inches of water with the motor high. keep it light without a bunch of stuff in it and it will do fine. put your gas cans in the front of the boat for weight distribution. small old boats are cheap and you can get a 16 foot deep v for bigger water and move your motor over.

small old boats are cheap and you can get a 16 foot deep v for bigger water and move your motor over
    That would be nice, if I can find a boat like that with a 15" transom.