Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Interesting...considering past posts

Default Interesting...considering past posts

A friend of mine sent me this link and was just incensed that this was happening. I have read many comments on this forum that completely disagree with these types of places but here one lies in the middle of us.

Check it out, see what you think...
    http://alaskawildgame.makeswebsites.com/3/page2.htm

The responses to this thread oughtta be good......

Its not hunting,its not fair chase.They are giving real fair chase hunters a bad reputation.
    Awful

HOT DANG!! we are the lower 48!! no access issue to complain about, or drawing tagss.geez best of both worlds here, freeze your butt off and shoot a buffalo every year, thats fantastic. course you could just go to kodiak and do the same thing and have it not be so cold....? elk are bigger on the ranch in kodiak though...always hoping i see one of them hop that fence....oh man.
    with the turkey in cooper landing and pheasant at pt mac and now some fenced hunting no one can complain who's just moved up here from down south! we have it all....and targets on its way to wasilla...so the women folk will be thrilled too.
    meanwhile...sourdoughs start buying up land far far away from here....

Default texas high fence

i've got a buddy that hunts a high fence deer ranch in texas. He missed a 150 class whitetail 2 evenings in a row and killed him on the 3rd day. When a mature wild whitetail even catches wind of you he usually will remain unseen until maybe the rut and thats no gaurentee. It hangs on his wall and it makes me sick. NOT HUNTING

Is beating a dead horse more noble than shooting a fenced Bison?

Yawn...

depends if the buffalos in the hay pile or in the far corner....

Default Touchy Subject

Well I looked at the site and followed the links. I see these folks as a solid Alaskan family who has learned to survive with what they have and by exercising their private property rights. I think anyone who goes to a farm and participates in the slaughter of his own meat should be commended.
    BUT IT AIN`T HUNTIN!!!!

Hey, nobody ever responded to my question on the other thread. What do y'all think of the spring same-day-airborne caribou hunt? Fly in, spot a herd, land, pop 5 animals, toss 'em in, go home. Is that unethical? It isn't fair chase...is it? I sure enjoy doing it!

The line of ethical purity is usually drawn around one's own activities. The question is...do you do it because it's ethical, or is it ethical because YOU do it?

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

So what would you consider the Bison that are owned by the Native Corporation out of Sand Point. This herd is on an Island with no fence. Would they or would they not be Fair Chase? Or how about the Caribou on Adak?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    Hey, nobody ever responded to my question on the other thread. What do y'all think of the spring same-day-airborne caribou hunt? Fly in, spot a herd, land, pop 5 animals, toss 'em in, go home. Is that unethical? It isn't fair chase...is it? I sure enjoy doing it!

The line of ethical purity is usually drawn around one's own activities. The question is...do you do it because it's ethical, or is it ethical because YOU do it?
    Its your duty as a hunter to hunt fair chase and ethical.If you enjoy hunting unethical fine but its not true hunting.Its up to you

no one said spring caribou was hunting, no one said fenced buffalo was hunting...killing is killing, food is food and ethics are different to everyone.if folks want to shoot those buffalo thats great, fun way to go get some meat..nothing wrong. just not fair chase is all. no one said it was wrong, just that it wasn't fair chase or hunting.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

svehunter,
    hunting unethical is conundrum, i think thats the word i want. if its unethical its not really hunting is it? the spring caribou deal is an awesome way to load the freezer. no antlers that time of year so theres no other reason to go shoot them. shooting stuff is fun, lets face it. but shooting and hunting are a serperate issue.
    Master guide 212

So who decided that carrying a very high-powered rifle into the bush in order to kill an animal that you have no intention of eating was ethical?

Red face Hunting it's not.

It sure isn't hunting. Neither is it any form of fair chase. But these folks pay their money, and go home with meat for the fridge. And if they put the mounts on the wall to make their selves feel good I say good for them. Expect to see more and more of this sort of hunt? shoot? What do we call it?These game ranches?? seem to be on the rise, and thats because there are big bucks to be made, and it seems no shortage of paying customers. Not much diffrent then shooting a bull in a large corral to me. Bill.

The only problem I have with that is that they call it "hunt" instead of kill or harvest. If it was legitimate hunting, you would need a hunting liscense. I have no problem with harvesting private animals.

Cool hmmm

Wow... I sure wouldn't do it... but seems like a good argument could be made for bear baiting (which I don't do) or food plots for deer (won't do that either).

Don't get me wrong I'm not knocking anyone for making a choice to hunt in the way that their conscious says is ethical and legal. Game rules and laws aren't written for hunters... they are written for wildlife management, even if they don't work on occasion.

But all that being said I'd much rather go to a ranch and shoot good ole US grain fed beef.... sure kind of takes the fun outta hunting being "100% guaranteed".

MrPid, you ok today? or just playing devils advocate?
    who decided it was legal, i'm sorry, ethical, to carry my big gun and shoot something i don't eat...?why that would be fish and game of course when they decided if we were gonna manage animals that we have to do it across the board to keep the balance. rather than just shoot the bears food, we've got to balance the bears as well. if we shoot the moose, catch the fish and blast the caribou on a same day hunt, who's gonna look out for the bears? aint their fault they taste crappy sometimes. but man stuck his nose in it all, we've gotta keep it there, can't blow it and walk away and expect things to be the same. so i go the brush with my very highpowered rifle kill, slaugher, blast, harvest whatever adjective you feel like using and help with the managment of the animals we are striving to preserve for out children. without the fence.
    Master guide 212

boy i'd take the buffalo over the beef i think. some good eatin' there.
    Master guide 212

I'm home sick today, and I have way too much time on my hands.

I'm not picking on anybody. I for one don't see a black line for what's ethical. These forum debates make me examine my own beliefs. I find all these opinions very interesting. I don't agree with all of them, but that would be boring anyway.

I'm a work in progress. The problem is that the older I get the less I know.

I think this topic is less about ethics and more about semantics.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast