Thread: Cat or Cummins Diesel- Best Service in Southcentral?

Default Cat or Cummins Diesel- Best Service in Southcentral?

I'm looking for first hand experience preferably, although if you heard it from a friend who has first hand experience with Cat or Cummins service, I'll take that too. I'm not interested in hearsay or wife's, cousins, best friend's, uncle said so and so.

I'm looking at 3 inboard engines to power my boat, 35' in length. The 3 engines are the C9 Caterpillar 503 hp, the Cummins QSC 8.3 500 hp, and the Iveco Cursor 550 500 hp. I've heard good things from actual engine owners on all 3 engines. My question for all of you is in regard to service/support in Southcentral. Besides the price of the motor (they are all real close), the 2nd most important thing to me is the service and help I may need, if things go bad. I'm aware of a Cat dealer in Anchorage, a Cummins distributor in Anchorage, and a Cummins dealer in Homer (In Demand Marine). There is a dealer in Seattle for the FPT/Iveco, and a dealer coming on line in Anchorage for FPT/Iveco. Anyone have anything good or bad to share about the level of service you have experienced from these companies? Thanks

I would be also interested in hearing about diesel mechanic shops in the Kenai/Homer/Seward area. Anything good or bad.

If you pm the member hap he can give you more details, but he is not happy with the service he's recieved for the twin CAT's he has on his boat.

I have heard that John Deer diesels are highly rated for marine service and very popular with the commercial fishermen.

I have used In Demand Marine for service on by Volvo D4 260 DPH diesel and have been very happy with them.
    Retirement Plan - Having Fun and Still Learning

look up jimmy at port engineering and in demand marine, billy
    BONEYARDBAITS THE BEST HALIBUT, ROCKFISH GRUBS ON THE PLANET....''06'' WORLD RECORD LINGCOD ''08'' HOMER HALIBUT DERBY WINNER''. BOTH FISH CAUGHT WITH BONEYARDBAIT GRUBS WWW.BONEYARDBAITS.COM

Thanks for the replies, sounds like In Demand Marine is a good outfit to work with. More replies are appreciated,

Default Cummins NW

Cummins NW in Anchorage has some very good marine engine techs working for them and their customer service is better than most, IMO. All they do is engine work, so they are very good at it. Parts inventory seems to be good, or at least they usually have what I need.

Coaldust

Default Cummins NW better

Had an appraisal/checkout done on a boat with Cummins CTA by the Homer guys and wasn't impressed with either the guy they sent or the quality of work he did and apparent knowledge he had so have dealt with Cummins NW in Anch for everything else since buying the boat.

The Anch guys at NW have been much higher level of knowledge and parts avail, etc and I highly recommend them

Sounds like Cummins in Anchorage is solid, that's real good to know. Any Caterpillar experience? I do appreciate all your input and hope more will respond, thanks.

I HIGHLY recommend Cummins NW in Anchorage. In the interest of full disclosure, I used to run the place, but I can tell you without a doubt that Sean & Pete are two of the best, if not the best, diesel technicians in the state. They know the engines inside and out, and the distributor network for Cummins makes sure that they are up-to-date on the latest and greatest engine technologies. They will also be up front with you if you need something specific for your engine (or if you don't!).

I'll also say that I haven't heard much good about Cat service, but there are others with better knowledge than I on this . . .

Default Not Cat in Kodiak

To save you a long and ugly story I'll just toss in that Cat in Kodiak is probably a "lesser option".

Good engines, in my opinion, but the guys I've dealt with here, (down from Anch I believe) might try real hard to sell you a new engine.....

I called Cummins NW in Anchorage and spoke to the service department. The guy I spoke with sounded engaged and interested in my call. I'm not saying that translates to good mechanic work and ethical treatment of the customer, but it at least showed me that they can be professional on the phone; that's something. Thanks for the replies and advice.

In addition to finding out how others like the service, I'd ask the company about the reliability of the motor, and how many other "locals" run the same engine. If there are a lot of them and the service dept is good chances there will be better parts reliability and the mechanics will be great at servicing them.

I know of a few volvo dealers in Southeast Alaska who are good at the KAD series, the D4 and D6 but have little experience with the D3s as an example.

Sobie2