Thread: Remington R25 - 308 - New Toy Today!

Default Remington R25 - 308 - New Toy Today!

Well, I am seeing the value of adult children, as they give us an excuse to buy another gun when they can't afford it and we run out of reasons to justify one to the Mrs!
    Anyway, I have never shot AR platform rifles much, own a 223 bushmaster but it mainly was one of those Gee I don't have one of those things yet Hmmm .
    My son has shown an interest in the R25 and wants to use it to moose hunt this fall, 308 seemed like a decent choice so picked one up last night.
    Here is my take for those licking there chops wanting one...
    I put a new Leupold 2 x 7 x 33 ER on it - the scope is designed to be basically zeroed at 200 - 1st lower dot 300yd setting - 2nd 400. Anyway for my test I zeroed at 50 yds, when I shot at 200 the top lower dot was pretty close and likely would have been a 200 yard zero hold. Interesting for paper but dots not much good on moose size game I reckon...
    OK, on to the good stuff, I quickly loaded some new Rem brass this AM with 180gn Nosler Part Ballistic Tips - 40gn IMR 3031 ( 20 plus yrs old)
    I shot 5 site ins then 3 at 50yds - 3/8", 5 at 100yds 7/8", 3 at 200 - 1 3/8"
    This was with a 15 plus 1/4 crosswind over left shoulder, 31 degrees, cloudy, and I have a killer head cold... I Kept thinking this can't be, all those sweet bolt guns at home and this sledgehammer doing this on the first run out! No No NO !
    I mounted scope with Leupold QDetach Med bases - scope was a bit uncomfortable as you REALLY had to get down on the gun on the sandbags for proper eye alignment - however when shouldering it, it ain't too bad??? May try high mounts though just for kicks.
    I did have about 5 misfires - I think it was due to lack of sizing perhaps - I really threw these loads together fast and just wanted to get out of the house... Gonna shoot factory 165 HSpeed stuff if they will print I think?
    Trigger is OK looooong pull until it gets to second stage for a bolt guy, but then it finds a sweet spot and is decent enuff...
    Couple rough spots on hand grip needs a little smoothin and my god when you run'er dry you can still use it as a club - thing weighs a ton - no scale but 10lbs plus for sure - whew!
    Anyway thought some of you guys may enjoy it!!!
    Hope the pics turn out - my first attempt at a load...
    Randy
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very nice.

Steve

Sweet, a new rifle always makes to a fine day. Congrats

That dang 10lb thing is why I've shyed away from the larger AR platform. I've owned a .308 bolt with a scope that came in at 7lbs and still regret selling it.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Default I hear ya!

Not sure why they couldn't do a little trimm'n on that R25 and still have a shooter - they are after the hunting market but man ya gotta be Rambo to lug it around! I am 6 -2 - 260 lbs and maybe if my back wasn't shot I would find a way but I figure after I play with it for a spell its the kids!
    No doubt its a shooter but I am afraid more for the range!
    I have owned one other 308 in a rem 742 and sold it to a relative - never really got to use it. However, when I really read the ballistic data and find how pleasant the 308 is to shoot I think many of us fool ourselves chasing some of the new hotter stuff and overlook this fine cartridge...
    I may have to get a Ruger Hawkeye in 308 and do some playing one of these days as it seems they have improved their quility a lot from solid and durable to adding a little finnesse to that list from all the posts I am reading?
    By the way the Leupold scope I put on should have read LR not ER - A good friend of my has told me many times "ya can't fix stupid"!

Default Follow Up

Ran another batch of properly loaded ammo thru this puppy today and it ate them like a pregnant gal eats pickles - one after the other! Just didn't want to slam the gun for my bad loading habits!
    Unfortunately it shot VERY well again today - Definitely needs the 1" high scope mounts though....

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey;[I
    Not sure why they couldn't do a little trimm'n on that R25[/I] and still have a shooter - they are after the hunting market but man ya gotta be Rambo to lug it around! I am 6 -2 - 260 lbs and maybe if my back wasn't shot I would find a way but I figure after I play with it for a spell its the kids!
    No doubt its a shooter but I am afraid more for the range!
    I have owned one other 308 in a rem 742 and sold it to a relative - never really got to use it. However, when I really read the ballistic data and find how pleasant the 308 is to shoot I think many of us fool ourselves chasing some of the new hotter stuff and overlook this fine cartridge...
    I may have to get a Ruger Hawkeye in 308 and do some playing one of these days as it seems they have improved their quility a lot from solid and durable to adding a little finnesse to that list from all the posts I am reading?
    By the way the Leupold scope I put on should have read LR not ER - A good friend of my has told me many times "ya can't fix stupid"!

They actually did trim quite a bit off by using an aluminum upper and lower. The only steel is the bolt and barrel I believe. AR-10's before it weighed in at about 10.5 lbs naked, the R-25 is 8.75 lbs.

My LR308AP4 tips the scale at 10.5lbs with an ACOG and a full magazine (20rds). She's 9lbs with only the ACOG.

Default Eastwoods

Yeah, I figured with the Leupy at 10.5oz and 4 rounds in the mag it topped 10 lbs - not counting whatever sling will add. Def a flatlands gun!

I bought the XVR in 223 in the fall. I had the same issue with the scope. Hard to get full focus and have to adjust the rifle but the eye relief is ok. Haven't played with it lately, guess I'm use to bolt guns.

Default No Moosies with R25

Checked Canadian Regs today and No Go - cannottake any M16 style rifle ot Variant therof into their counrty - bummer. Oh well, back to square one and one more great reason to Bless this great Country for sure!
    GO USA!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    Checked Canadian Regs today and No Go - cannottake any M16 style rifle ot Variant therof into their counrty - bummer. Oh well, back to square one and one more great reason to Bless this great Country for sure!
    GO USA!!!
    Bring it to Alaska, we have the big boys here anyway.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Default Hopefully

can get there at least once Andy! A lifetime of hard work and hard play and maybe some genetics has left me with a very touchy back. It seems to take a lot more pain meds to get going anymore. My dream has always been an AK Bull moose - perhaps it will still happen we'll see.
    Not sure I could take a 60 incher walking out - my leggs would shake, I'd likely break a sweat, hands tremble, get faint - alot like my honeymoon 34 years ago!
    I think with all them mean ole bears runn'in around I'd also spring for some higher capacity clips than the std 4 shot if we brought the R25!
    Thanks for the invite though - right neighborly of ya!
    Randy