Thread: Season Length

Default Season Length

I am headed up to anchorage in may and was wondering how long i would be able to skin

I generally "SKIN" Cat all summer. Fired up the D-7 last week to move snow, on the driveway. You can "SKIN" Black Bears all summer........
    "The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes decide everything."

Searching for more cowbell!

It depends on where you are. We are having a pretty limited snow year compared to years past. There should still be plenty of turns to be had.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Eagle River, AK

Usually you can skin up mountains in the immediate Anchorage area into mid to late May. Mountains like Peak Three will hold snow that long, but it might be concentrated in a chute. If you can drive south an hour to Turnagain Pass, the season usually can extend well into June. You might have to hike the first few hundred feet, but you'll find skinable and skiable snow. As Phish mentioned, though, we're having a low snow year so it might take some effort. Hopefully March will be good to us and the snowpack will add some feet.