Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SE resident fish?

Default SE resident fish?

So I am going to a Forest Service cabin in SE Alaska from April 16-22nd to hopefully target steelies. I have never been to SE and was wondering what the timing of the resident fish is like in these rivers if the steelhead decide to not cooperate.

The river we are going to has cuts, bows, and dollies throughout the summer but I wanted to know what if any of these species will be available in the rivers or lakes that drain into the rivers in the timeframe we will be there. Would it be worth hiking down to the salt to try for dollies from the beach if the steelie fishing is slow?

Also if anyone has any favorite patterns for this area during this timeframe that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt

the answer: probably
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    Dude!! If you are going to let the cat out of the bag like that, please consider using a PM next time. Keep in mind that folks all over the internet are reading this. Try to keep a lid on things would ya?
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Another quality post full of great information. Way to go all out and help a guy out.

Im sorry I dont know much about the SE area fishing,. Hopefully someome will chime in and be a little more "specific" about maybe where what and how to assist you.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Armo,

What cabin? It really depends on the river and what lakes are nearby. I've fished a few of them, but not all of them.

Default Jordan Lake

I will be going to Jordan Lake on the Naha River.

Also,

Thanks AKPM.

remind me that when I have a question about fishing, that the only person I ask is AKPM, since he is so full of youthful wisdom. Without his encyclopedia-fulls of worthy fishing advice, i wouldnt know anything about fishing, or anything else for that matter.

Way to contribute buddy!

The only thing i can say about this question is to bring a pack rod and some gear and give it your best shot. If it doesnt pan out you can at least give us a report about it. If it was awesome fishing youll be darn happy to have the gear with you. Like my signature below says;

Release Lake Trout

The Naha river system gets a winter run of SH and they'll remain most of the winter. The spring run starts around April, so it might be hit and miss for you on the fresh run. You should be able to pick up trout and dollies throughout the river system. You will find good fishing whether you're in Jordan, Heckman or hiking down the trail.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Armo_Ak View Post
    So I am going to a Forest Service cabin in SE Alaska from April 16-22nd to hopefully target steelies. I have never been to SE and was wondering what the timing of the resident fish is like in these rivers if the steelhead decide to not cooperate.

The river we are going to has cuts, bows, and dollies throughout the summer but I wanted to know what if any of these species will be available in the rivers or lakes that drain into the rivers in the timeframe we will be there. Would it be worth hiking down to the salt to try for dollies from the beach if the steelie fishing is slow?

Also if anyone has any favorite patterns for this area during this timeframe that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt

Also, smaller streamers are always very productive in Naha. The cutts are voracious. The rock falls area is a great place to spend a day. You can't miss it as it's close. Downstream about a quarter mile is the deepest spot on the whole river and typically holds a bunch of fish. There's a rock wall that you can jump off if you want to take a bath/freshen up.

It's a great river to fish, though most of the resident trout aren't huge. The shear numbers make up for the size.

Some of the steelies in there are brutes
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Matt,
    Good luck up there! I'll be hitting POW steel.
    You'll get some fish in the Naha. Fun times!

hey thats the best answer I can give. Probably is a pretty **** good answer without knowing jack about where he's going.

Now that I know I'll say, most likely.

But really I answered the question, he asked will there be these fish, I said probably. If someone wants to ask me how I'd fish for them thats a different story, go ahead and ask, I bet I'll be helpful.

However if someone asks me where I caught fish, I'm not saying a word. Its not that hard to find fish, I did it without the internet, everyone else can too, or buy me a few beers.

Thats just how I roll. Got a problem with it? Don't read my posts eh?

hey thats the best answer I can give. Probably is a pretty **** good answer without knowing jack about where he's going.

Now that I know I'll say, most likely.

But really I answered the question, he asked will there be these fish, I said probably. If someone wants to ask me how I'd fish for them thats a different story, go ahead and ask, I bet I'll be helpful.

However if someone asks me where I caught fish, I'm not saying a word. Its not that hard to find fish, I did it without the internet, everyone else can too, or buy me a few beers.

So say you dont know jack about where he is going. Ask a question, offer to help. Hell I told him I had no idea about it but was hoping someone would jump in and help. Not just a Probably. Little things make a big difference/

Buy you Beers for fising info. Right after hell freezes over and you win man of the year.

I have been fishing up here since 1978. You were not even a dream in your parents life. No internet no nothing. I love to help people. People ask I share. Your "secret" fishing holes are known so get in the alaska spirt and help out. I did it on my own. Next time you go somewhere new I hope they tell you No internet no beers and we did it on own so F*&k you

It is called Karma and it will bite you in the ass someday young man

Oh and how can we not read your posts. Your mindless dribble is all over the board. Nobody is asking you for the codes to Launch a freaking Nuke, Just a little tip or suggestion to help thier trip out.

It shows that no one ever shared a **** thing with you. So you dont share. Well this is a site about sharing info and knowledge. Some of us do and we know one person that wont.

Hey here is a probably for you. I bet if your fell out of a boat your would hit freaking water. Oh and there are fish in the water. shocking. Grow up and step up and help the members here

Default Thanks

Thanks for your replies guys. This will be my first foray into SE in 6 summers of working and I'm beyond stoked.

Thanks for the tips and if anyone has any more suggestions I'd welcome the input.

Greenbutt,

Where you headed on POW? I tried to get Karta last October but after doing my research I realized I have a better chance of getting some actual information out of monkey than getting that cabin.

And now Monkey,

I don't understand why you even write those little quips? Its like you do it just to stir things up. I mean its hilarious in its own right. We sit around the camp at night and laugh about some of the stuff you say. So I guess if nothing else you do have us thinking about you which both amuses and bothers me at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Armo_Ak View Post
    And now Monkey,

I don't understand why you even write those little quips? Its like you do it just to stir things up. I mean its hilarious in its own right. We sit around the camp at night and laugh about some of the stuff you say. So I guess if nothing else you do have us thinking about you which both amuses and bothers me at the same time.

There have been a few chats about the monkey around the fire. Alot of laughs and alot of us amused and wondering what the hell. Either way there are those here that will help and those that cant even help them selves.

Oh Armo. Please do share details of your trip and pics please. Would love to see how you do and how the area is. Good luck

Cigarette butts on the ground, mosquitoes, "prolly" post, etc...

It is hard to ignore 4,334 of anything.

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Really, People? Are you really getting this riled up about a post where someone is giving advice? Sure, "Probably" may be a tad vague, but I personally would much rather be told "Probably" than be told "I dont know, maybe someone who does will help" (no offence to anyone who said something like that). The post is short and to the point, and gives an answer to the question that was asked. I do not believe that someone should be cursed out just because their answer was not specific enough to satisfy the next person to read it. Also, if you already know his answer will not be satisfactory, as some of you seem to think, then do as he says and just DONT READ THE POST (or "Mindless Dribble", as some people apparenty think of it as). This is not exactly rocket science, people.

Mr. Monkey, I think you deserve a round of applause for being the first person willing to give up some information.

As for the original post, the Dollies and cutts should be moving around looking for salmon fry, though it may still be a little bit early. I would tie up some thunder creeks and clousers just in case the oppourtunity arises. I would also make up some olive and black woolly buggers to fish in the lake.

Exclamation

i agree with both sides!!!

I disagree with pretty much all of his post and some make me laugh.

that being said i just don't read them or ignore them! No point in arguing with someone who thinks he knows but in reality doesn't know what he's talking about. I have friends with fish and game down here that say he is the same in real life and just shake their head when his name comes up, especially if you mention afognak and fire!!!

When people come down here to fish i have no problem giving then gps info and advice... Thats what makes alaska great people helping each other.........
    BONEYARDBAITS THE BEST HALIBUT, ROCKFISH GRUBS ON THE PLANET....''06'' WORLD RECORD LINGCOD ''08'' HOMER HALIBUT DERBY WINNER''. BOTH FISH CAUGHT WITH BONEYARDBAIT GRUBS WWW.BONEYARDBAITS.COM

someones gotta spank the monkey once in awhile

Release Lake Trout

Some of you take the internet too seriously, we have aliases for a reason.

I'm going fishing tomorrow for these guys

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast