Thread: Chamfer/Deburr affect on release?

Default Chamfer/Deburr affect on release?

I'm wondering about using the handtool to Chamfer and Deburr brass. It looks real easy to do it off balance or leave a bit of a nick on the inside and I wonder if you guys are still doing this by hand or any tips on doing it right?

I'm only twisting it around a couple times and not pressing hard but it seems this could really have an affect on the bullet release if I didn't get this right

Over thinking this or what do you think?

Over thinking!! Light pressure is the key and I find a powered chamfering tool with light pressure works best for clean uniform mouth. Neck tension, not chamfer is what maintains consistent bullet tension and give uniform release, if that's the right term.

I use the longer tool which gives a more shallow angle giving ease of seating. A smooth mouth with gentle makes for easy seating and doesn't scar the bullet shank. Maybe that makes a difference, I don't know but its one of those little things.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Post i'm using the "hand tool'

mounted in a drill,one that i can set the speed on, i also have a "nut driver' filled with 000 steel wool that cleans them burr free . just go lite
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......

+1 on the long slow taper inside deburring tool. I think Lymans is called VLD. I use the Lee case trimmer tools to hold a case in a hand drill to spin it and then finish by shoving the spinning neck into a empty shotgun case filled with fine steel wool. Quick, easy and like me , it's cheap. And as Murphy says, it's neck tension not neck burrs that hold the bullet in place.

Like others who have posted, I also always chamfer and deburr...as a means to reduce scoring of the bullets when seated.

I find the whole process to be much easier and more enjoyable since I splurged and bought an RCBS Trim Mate a few years back...worth every penny.

Doc