Thread: Looking for someone or group to ride with this weekend....

Default Looking for someone or group to ride with this weekend....

Just picked up a 2002 Summit 700 a couple weeks ago and want to take it out this weekend somewhere in the Anchorage/Mat-Su area. Unfortunately, my usual riding companion is unable to go riding, so I am looking for someone that would let me tag along for the sake of personal safety. I haven't done alot of backcountry riding, but have put a few miles on a sled. I have transportation to get my sled to and from a riding area, just no one to ride with. If anyone is willing to let me accompany them, please let me know.
    NRA Life Member, Prior F-16 crew chief.

Thumbs down Poker Run

Going on the Deshka Landing- Yentna River Poker run tomorrow. If you want to tag along we are going to be at Deshka Landing @ 8am. There is 2 of us and not planning on spending the night. Let Me Know ASAP

I am running the Poker Run on Sunday...looking at having 3 or 4 in our group.

Default Thanks

I don't want to slow you guys down if the machine isn't cooperating with me. That's about a 140 mile trip isn't it?

you'll be fine its just a couple of 50 yr old guys on older sleds than you have. Let me know we can meet in the morning planning on 10hrs + stops and back by dark if possible...

Default Alright

You talked me into it. What all do I need to bring other than personal survival gear, gas funds, and snacks?

Thats it you got it handled. Call me in the morning we will be leavin Wasilla @ 7am. Cell 351-8770 Ill be in a red Ford Truck
    Pat

Sounds like I'll be leaving Eagle River around 6. See you in the AM.

Zach

Default How was the ride?

Tell us a story,

Thumbs up Good company and good times!

It was a long day and lots of miles over some bumpy trails, but I had a great time. We got a bit of a slow start, but by the end of the day, we'd picked up the pace quite a bit. With the exception of the Summit wanting more snow to stay cool which lead to an off-trail episode of getting stuck, it was a great maiden voyage. The only other incidents we ran into were one blown shock and a ski bolt that sheared off and was temporarily replaced with a spark plug wrench. Fortunately, when the ski fell off, we were only about a mile and a half shy of Skwentna and were able to get suitable parts to get back to Deshka. The snow between Skwentna and TalVista made for a rough and long ride into and back out of TalVista. By the end of the day when we got back to the parking lot, I was definitely glad to get off the sled and give my body a break from the beating it took all day long. It was a fun ride and pretty much everyone I met along the way was friendly and helpful. I'm glad Little Su invited me to go. Now I just have to wait and see if I had the worst hand in the poker game....

Thumbs up Good Times

Lots of bumpy Trail and overflow that had refrozen with ruts. The bad stuff was between Skwentna and Talvista. The overland trail was shorter but had to stay on the trail. Long day ride. MTOutdoorsman can ride with us anytime. Its nice when the kid get to ride with a couple of crusty old men... Keep in touch and I have a some good pics of you just call me with your email.

We will do another trip into Palmer Creek this Sat. it is a highway that is closed for the winter, with 5' to 7' of old packed snow, and 20" of fresh, it is easy riding on the trail 12 Miles to the back, and then High-mark heaven in the back. Should appeal to all rider skill levels......

MT how do you like the summit?
    i just got a 2002 summit highmark 800x151" and i haven't had a chance to hit a hill with it yet...anxious to say the least. but my off season schedule is tight...curious if it was your machine that the ski fell off of?
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Thumbs up The Summit is great!

It's a big improvement from my old 1991 Prowler 440. My Summit only has a 144x2, but I think it'd still go more places than I'd have the guts to attempt. I didn't try anything extreme with it on the poker run, so I can't tell you how much of a hill it'll climb. I do know that when the track hooks up, the skis flop. It wasn't my machine that the ski fell off of on the ride.

Default How many miles was it?

How long did or would it take without the mishapps?

We left Deshka at about 8:30 in the morning and got back at about 8 that night. Not sure how much time we'd have actually been able to shorten it by without any mishaps at all.

On another thread, i was thinking 10 hrs on my SWT. How about the, How many miles?? We thru about 150 out there??sounds like you had fun.

Default Pokeher Running

2 Pair...Kings and three's...
    181.9 miles out the back yard R/T... Luce's to TalVista via overland route over boiler plate snow...thence down the river....running time of 9:06:26.

And the best part...nothing broke. Hyfax got a mite hot...can you smell it:-)
    Natural Selection begins with you!

Default And the winners are