Thread: Grayling in creeks nearest Wasilla?

Default Grayling in creeks nearest Wasilla?

I am a watershed educator in Ohio and am planning another visit to Alaska to visit my mother in Wasilla. My last couple of visits over the past years I have been unsuccessful in finding a place to fish for Arctic Grayling that is within a days drive from Wasilla. I must just be looking in the wrong place for information. I have perused the Alaska Fish and Game site but have not been able to find what I am looking for. Fly fishing for Arctic Grayling has a sentimental value to me because I learned to fish for the species as a young boy with my father many years ago. I haven’t had the opportunity to do so since that time and it is my hope that someone might be able to hook me up with a place close when visiting Wasilla, even if only for a few hours of fishing due to a lengthy drive. Could you possibly point me in the direction of some information that might help me in my quest for some reminiscing of my youthful days with my father?

Thanks for your consideration on this matter.

Sincerely,
    Robert

There are a few lakes like Finger, Meirs and Canoe. All in the Wasilla/Palmer area. I don't know of any creeks to suggest.

Default grayling north of Wasilla

Your timing has a lot to do with where you'll find grayling but you may want to venture north of Wasilla up to the Talkeetna/Trapper Creek area. Sheep Creek, Moose Creek, Kroto Creek, Peters Creek and quite a few others offer grayling action. Good luck.

Thumbs up Grayling

Just about every creek north of Wasilla has grayling to some extent. I would start with Willow and Little Willow and work north from there. I sat on one hole on the Little Willow not too long ago and caught 9 grayling in 10 casts. Nothing huge, but fun none the less. Best bet on this river is to hike upstream from the road or get someone to take you up in a small jet boat.

Good luck!
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

If your only criteria is "within a days drive" you can't go wrong with taking the Glenn Highway north and fishing both Mendeltna Creek as well as all the small lakes along Lake Louise Road. Grayling EVERYwhere.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

weiner lake on the glenn has quiet a few grayling in the east end, nothing big but fun to catch. if you were interested in dropping about some money i know a guy who does fly outs from talkeetna.

Default Mendeltna creek

I have been to most of the creeks mentioned and Mendeltna creek is my pick for grayling. I'm guessing about a 2 hour drive from Anchorage.

Yes there are in all the creeks north of the little su, use stimulators and tangle lake teasers. Next question
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

The places listed are all Ok to fish for grayling.But,if you really want to catch grayling, then go on up to the Denali Highway.Loads of fish.In the right creeks and lakes you can hook up with grayling dam near every cast.Its worth the extra time driving..

Default No doubt....

Quote Originally Posted by danthedewman1 View Post
    The places listed are all Ok to fish for grayling.But,if you really want to catch grayling, then go on up to the Denali Highway.Loads of fish.In the right creeks and lakes you can hook up with grayling dam near every cast.Its worth the extra time driving..

But, he was asking about creeks near Wasilla. Definitely the further north you go, the better the grayling get but I think we have covered the closer watersheds.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default Denali Highway

I agree with Dan. Head up to the Denali Highway. It is a little farther drive, but if you want to catch grayling in high numbers, thats where to go. I've done it in a day drive from Wasilla before. I've always fished @ fish creek just a few miles after I turn off the highway and because I don't want to take a rental too far on the dirt. Always done very well on any dry that I threw.

Yes AK MUD,,,but he also said "even if its only for a few hours fishing,,,after a lengthy drive".From Wasilla he can be on the Denali highway in about 2.5 - 3 hours.Not really a lengthy drive in my opinion.And so worth the extra drive,,,TY TY.

If you're going to go for grayling. Better yet hit the upper chena, or even better. IMho the best road side grayling this state has to offer short of flying to somewhere say like Nome (where there are roads leading off into nowhere lol, would be delta clearwater!!!

The upper chena is scenic and just a fun place to fish. The fish are big, eager to eat, and you usually see NO ONE at most of the places I usually fish. Chena hot springs is close by along with a couple forest service cabins if you should decide to stay the nite (forest service cabins are MUCH cheaper LOL).

The other place is delta clearwater. Really wish I could say I've spent as much time there as I have on the upper chena (where I basically lived until I started chartering). I have however done more then a few trips to DCW. These fish are FAT! And still have the length. Big big green drake hatches in the summer, along with a bazillion midges amongst other things. The key to this river is having a raft, boat, or canoe. The boat is the best, it'll get you upstream, where more and bigger fish seem to hold out and much less fishing pressure occurs. The next would be a raft or canoe, floating downstream into DCW Lake. It's a fun LOOONG day float. There are still big grayling in the lower section to an extent. From the launch down you'll do well till ya hit the slow water. After that it's a paddle out.

If these are too far of a drive, hit the denali highway. There are some good ones for fish, however they are on the average smaller then the upper chena or dcw.

Lots of choices!

I've caught some nice grayling out of montana creek while fishing for rainbows. If you went specifically for grayling you would most likley do better than me. The one grayling I caught in there was quite large.
    Justin
    Justin

Default Need a boat?

Check out Mokai.com. You can rent one from Alaska Raft & Kayak they are can be put on top of a car by one person when you take the motor out will get you up stream and burn little gas. Pm me if you have questions I own 3 and take them every where even on the rotten ice in the spring, will break ice up to about 3 inches in the fall.

Default goose creek

there are some good sized ones in goose creek
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default where is goose creek?

thats a pretty nice pic! ive caught alot of fish that size all along the denali highway. thats the only place ive been for grayling. i usually make a weekend trip in early june, starting at cantwell and driving to paxson and taking a full day for tangle lake.