Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Mokai Engine for 2010

I recently spoke to the company about the noise issue prior to purchasing my first Mokai (I have not yet received it). It's my understanding that the custom tuned muffler provided for the Subaru has a more quality sound that is less "tinny" than the one that came with the Honda.

I asked about the decibel level of either the Honda or the Subaru and was told that neither is available at this time, but plans are to get these measurements as soon as weather and time allows and to post them on the company website.

Also, a new mufflers is being considered that will reduce the noise even further. However, it will most likely also reduce the engine's power. If a significant noise reduction can be obtained without an objectionable loss of power, this muffler will be made available as an option.

As I understand it, muffler changes involve retesting by/for the EPA and this is a time consuming operation. This new muffler option could be several months away and MAY not happen at all.

Again, this is just my understanding from the conversation. Sometimes I read between the lines things that are not there at all or just flat misunderstand completely. Contact the company if you have any questions or need to hear it from the horse's mouth.

Thanks for the info, Heavynets.

I never thought of the EPA testing requirements.

I think I could live with the noise, personally. I am more concerned with bothering the internal combustion engine haters (many, but not all canoeists, kayakers, campers, hikers, backpackers, etc.) that you might encounter on and along the rivers and streams. They are an influential group, particularly in the lower 48.

Having a better quality sound would probably help. The Honda sound isnít really that great:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98yzDuNZqjk

I dont think a mokai would bother anyone anymore than a regular jetboat. As long as airboats operate, nothing else needs to be concerned about noise!

Speaking of EPA stuff, did you guys read that they cant sell these to california because the engine is not approved for marine use? That crazy state amazes me all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Website says now and $3500 plus shipping.

This and a packraft on some of the slower rivers would be cool. A backpack and a folded up packraft would get you several miles up some of the rivers I know. Shoot a moose, use the Mokai and the packraft to move it back downstream. Would be cool to put on top of your jetboat and use to explore side channels and sloughs that get missed with the big boat. For the price it's really not too impracticle.

I too have thought about using a packraft for towing stuff. Having never actually seen a packraft such as the alpacka, Seen pics but not in person. Im concerned about tieoff points on the alpacka and wether or not the raft would handle getting yanked around by a rope with a load in it.

I recently found out a little more about the noise level for the 2010 Mokai's new Subaru engine. It is said to be 1-2 decibels quieter than the previous Honda at idle and very low speed, but 1-2 decibels louder at high speed.

It was specifically designed this way to be quieter when quietness was more likely to be needed and yet not inhibiting performance when performance was needed. One of the trade-offs with a muffler that's effective at all levels would be an increase in back pressure, which unfortunately diminishes performance.

As stated before, the sound is said to be a lower frequency and less irritating even though it registers louder on the decibel meter.

The Subaru motor will not fit into a previously equipped Honda Mokai and vice versa.

Default Subaru

Is that true that the new Subaru engine cannot be fit into the prior Honda Mokais? Why not? This is very disappointing, especially if the speeds the company quotes are true. It would make a huge difference.

When I spoke to Alaskamokaiman He said the engine swap would work. He said it wouldnt be a direct fit but you could make it work. I guess call the factory on Monday and see what they say

"Is that true that the new Subaru engine cannot be fit into the prior Honda Mokais? Why not?"

Several changes to the boat have been made to accommodate this new engine. It is my understanding that the engine mount designs are different and also changes to the engine cover were necessary to accommodate a different exhaust location.

I'm sure that with enough duck tape, epoxy, baling wire, money and time that most any engine could be adapted to the boat. I think what they are saying is that you can not just slide out the Honda and slide in the Subaru and vice versa.

Default Kenai Legal

You can use it on the kenai river also. Pretty good idea.

I too have thought about using a packraft for towing stuff. Having never actually seen a packraft such as the alpacka, Seen pics but not in person. Im concerned about tieoff points on the alpacka and wether or not the raft would handle getting yanked around by a rope with a load in it.
    My thoughts were just herding the packraft with 1/4 mooses each trip downstream. Deflate the packraft, stow it, and head back upstream for more moose or gear. I don't think I would try and tow a packraft upstream with moose in it, but if the water conditions were right and you could move even 100# at a time in the packraft it would still be better than walking.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

You can use it on the kenai river also. Pretty good idea.
    Use it as a kayak for the Upper Kenai, then crank up the motor and move across Skilak to the boat launch. Thanks, I now have another reason to get one
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

anyone here get the new mokai or what. Kind of anxious to hear some reviews.

I saw one out on the Deshka a few weeks ago while baiting my stands. He was running upriver while I was going down river and he was moving faster than I expected. I'm curious as well - would love to see one hands on in action.
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

Now that I have about 20 hours on my Mokai I would like to give a brief review.

First the bad:

I received the boat about four weeks after my initial 4 week deliver date. Thatís a 100% error in their ability to estimate a delivery date. Unbelievable!

Iím a lightweight and can only get the boat up to 14.5 mph. I was expecting 18-19 mph. For me this is not an issue, but again they over promised and under delivered.

The noise issue is still there. I never heard the Honda, so I donít know how bad it is, but I need ear plugs if Iím going to run the Subaru over 5 mph. Why they didnít even bother to point the exhaust to the rear, I donít know. Instead the exhaust points straight up and ends flush with the engine cover.

The boat is direct drive, so it starts moving as soon as the engine starts. Mine idles at about 3-4 mph. Many times I want to go much slower. I think it needs a centrifugal clutch. This would eliminate a lot of stops and starts of the engine and give much better control of the speed.

To stop the engine you have to pull a plastic clip from under the kill switch. To restart the clip must first be manually replaced. The clip can be attached to the operator so if he fall overboard the engine stops. What is needed is the addition of a thumb actuated kill switch located at the end of the steering/accelerator bar. This would eliminate a lot of fiddling with the plastic clip.

The cockpit is a little small if you want to carry tackle box, lunch, extra clothes, etc. Not much room to move around with extra gear.

High speed maneuverability is very poor. Itís impossible to make sharp turns at full or even moderate throttle. If you are expecting jet ski performance....donít.

The boat is a little heavier than I expected. One hundred pounds is heavier than it use to be. No way I could ever put it on a car top carrier. I haul it in the back of my Ford Ranger pickup. Lifting one end at a time to only waist high is no problem.

Now the good:

That Subaru engine ALWAYS starts on the second pull when cold and on the first pull when hot. It doesnít take much pull force either. I am really impressed with that motor.

The motor and gas tank can be removed or installed in 2-3 minutes. Itís well engineered.

The engine is VERY economical on gas. I have been out for 5-6 hours and have never even use 1/2 of a tank. Iím sure this will vary with speed, but still, Iím impressed.

The boat is very stable. I frequently stand up while fly fishing with no undue concern. Trying to move around or turn around while standing is another matter.

With only a few exceptions the boat is well thought out and built with quality craftsmanship.

The boatís hull is very rugged. Iím sure it can take a beating.

To me the Mokai is the perfect river/stream boat for the guy who travels alone, getting to remote locations. It is OK to fish out of, but is best at exploring or getting you to that remote fishing or hunting location. Of course it works on lakes too, but that is a waste of the jet propulsion unless the lake has a lot of prop busting rocks.

Just my opinion.

Heavynets,
    Thanks for the review. Very helpful.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12