Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Mokai Engine for 2010

Thumbs up New Mokai Engine for 2010

Mokai have announced their new Subaru engine for 2010! Details, here.

Subaru engine website, here.

New for the 2010 model, MOKAI ô will now be powered by Subaruís 7 hp engine. The EX 21 model is a single cylinder, overhead cam, 4 stroke engine with 4000 rpm. This new configuration for the MOKAI ô watercraft results in a 35% increase in performance. Masayuki Sekino, Application Engineer, Robin Industrial Products, Barry Miller, Regional Sales, Robin America, and Rick Murray, President, Mokai Manufacturing, finalize their new relationship at MOKAI Manufacturing Headquarters, Newburgh NY.
    A message from the President

As we entered a new decade and our 10th year of offering the MOKAI watercraft, we were faced with many new obstacles. Effective 2010, the EPA has imposed stricter standards and regulations for our industry. This presented a unique challenge for MOKAI because we are the only watercraft manufacturer that uses an industrial engine in a marine application. While a daunting task, we were definitely up to the challenge!

In looking for the best ways to comply with these new regulations and listening to feed back from our customers, we decided it was time to source an engine that was better suited for the future of MOKAI. We selected Robin America and their Subaru EX21 engine to be the sole power source supplier for the MOKAI watercraft. We are very impressed with the automotive technology offered in an industrial package. This engine offers more HP, RPM and torque than our prior engine. MOKAI will be providing a custom exhaust designed specifically for the EX21ís use in the MOKAI watercraft. The result is a faster and quieter MOKAI, while the functionality and the original concept of the MOKAI remain.

We are excited about the improved performance and speed of the craft.
    Last edited by AeroNautiCal; 02-26-2010 at 16:30. Reason: To add engine link & photo's.

A big thumbs up for the Subaru engine. I have this model engine and similar Subaru engines on several pieces of my rental equipement. They have been super reliable and have replaced the more expensive Honda motors when I order new stuff. Good to see the performance increase since I'm a big fat guy and have been looking at getting a Mokai.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

im still concerned about the practicality of this thing hauling more than a fishing pole. the idea of this boat is cool for up here. There is a ton of little creeks to explore and this would be the means to do it with. But I cant see the point of exploring if you cant get much gear or game in or out of such places.

The options I can think of would be a tow behind boat or maybe a cargo rack on the Mokai itself.

But this new engine has got my intrest again

When will the new model be out for sale and what will the price be.

Website says now and $3500 plus shipping.

This and a packraft on some of the slower rivers would be cool. A backpack and a folded up packraft would get you several miles up some of the rivers I know. Shoot a moose, use the Mokai and the packraft to move it back downstream. Would be cool to put on top of your jetboat and use to explore side channels and sloughs that get missed with the big boat. For the price it's really not too impracticle.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Default not a bad idea!

have had Mokai's just for that reason
    Attached Images Attached Images

Well it has been fun working on this motor and I am very happy that the factory has made the upgrade.

I have not run the factory version, but put this motor in the boat last summer it will out run the GC190 with a 150 pound man in the boat and a 275 pound man in the EX21.

I can't wait for break up to run the new model against the B&B GX 200 I built.

Currently there is not an upgrade package available, and when it is offered it will not fit into 07 and earlier models.

I should have one here for the Sportsmans show April 8-11.

Cheers,
    Last edited by alaskamokaiman; 02-28-2010 at 13:34. Reason: add about upgrade package.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskamokaiman View Post
    Well it has been fun working on this motor and I am very happy that the factory has made the upgrade.

I have not run the factory version, but put this motor in the boat last summer it will out run the GC190 with a 150 pound man in the boat and a 275 pound man in the EX21.

I can't wait for break up to run the new model against the B&B GX 200 I built.

Currently there is not an upgrade package available, and when it is offered it will not fit into 07 and earlier models.

I should have one here for the Sportsmans show April 8-11.

Cheers,
    My interest is peaked by this new upgrade. I just need to talk the wife into getting a pair. Hopefully I'll come visit you at the Sportsmans show.
    That's what she said...

1250 miles S/O paradise in the lwr 48 dreaming of SE AK

I am impressed with these little boats can you tell me what size person can fit? My son is 6'-10" and I am 6'-5" will they handle people our size? We make the weight rating that I read.

Thanks Mike

Leg room would not be a problem, the tallest person in one of mine was 6'3" 360 pounds it ran slow and deep. It was the 04 model.

How comfy is it to sit in? slight knee issues I'm 6'1" 250lbs. (yeah don't laugh).. )

A fellow 22ft C-dory owner plans to basically circumnavigate and explore PWS this summer pulling his Mokai along at displacement speeds. Sounds like a fun way to poke around in all those coves, glacier bays and bites scatters throughout the Sound.

I think he did exactly the same thing in SE Alaska a couple of years ago, so he must have it figured out.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Thumbs up Alpacka Rafts & Mokai = (o:

AKDoug has the same thoughts on this as me!

I have a Denali Llama and Explorer/Dory and on first sight I've wanted a Mokai to join the 'fleet', I just wasn't too keen on the OE engine.

The Subaru engine looks good, be interesting to see some feedback once its had time in service.

I have sat in it for many hours 17 hours in one stretch and had no problem. I have seen many different seats put in them, and you can flip the seat to make it sit higher.

I ran the EX 21 motor a lot last summer with one minor problem...I forgot to tighten a set screw and lost power. That trip was 70 miles and I had the fastest boat even though the other guys were lighter weight.

The new engine is very nice, when you break down the motor you see that it is built better that the old GC 190 that was in it. The gas mileage is about the same if I remember correctly it was a little better that the 190.

Can't wait for break up to try the new one out on the ice.

are you going to be at the Fairbanks show with the boats as well?

I have not done the Fairbanks Show and have not planned it for this year.

The only thing that kept me from buying a Mokai last year was the loud putt-putt-putt engine noise. I read that some owners even wore ear plugs.

Does anybody know if the Subaru engine is a lot quieter? It says they designed a special exhaust system for the Mokai.

why would you get one of these for 3500.00 when you can get a Honda 9hp w/ elec start for 1100.00?

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    why would you get one of these for 3500.00 when you can get a Honda 9hp w/ elec start for 1100.00?
    Because the $3500 includes the boat and jet as well. www.mokai.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ronster View Post
    Because the $3500 includes the boat and jet as well. www.mokai.com
    Doh!! open mouth insert foot!

thats awesome thanx!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast