Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Loading Press pulls hard?

Default Loading Press pulls hard?

Hello All-

I was just starting into reloading before I moved up here, and I have just gotten back to getting things set up. One thing that concerned me was that the cases would come out of the sizing die pretty hard...not going in, just coming out.

Maybe it was normal and fine--but I haven't felt other presses, dies, cartridges, etc to know if it is or not. Just this one.

So, is the reloading press supposed to move pretty stiff when the handle is going up and the cartridge is coming back out?

Thanks,

Travis

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Nope, if the RAM and the moving parts are lubed, and working properly.

A good heavy press will be without wobble, but it should move easy and smooth.

If the problem occurs when you're sizing, you may have an issue with lubrication of the brass.

I always lube the cases outside, paying special attention to the base of the case.

AND, I lube the inside of the necks, paying special attention to the shoulder of the neck.

So if you get lube on, and in the right places, you shouldn't have any issues with hard sizing, unless of course, you're doing something special like reforming brass, and even then, the issues are the same.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

So you use a little lube inside the case as well? I hadn't done that.

I had heard that using too much lube on the outside will cause the shoulders to get dented...I did (at first), and they did get dented.

I'm really not doing anything non-standard--it's a 270 and a Rock Chucker press, so nothing out of the ordinary.

Thanks for the help so far,

Travis

I always run a nylon brush with a little lube down the neck, bottle necks only. It makes retracting the sizing ball much easier. I also wash my brass with a little dish soap and hot water when I'm finished sizing. I have an air compressor to blow dry the cases inside and out, if you don't then use very hot water for the rinse and let the cases dry in a tray neck down. This will get the lube out of the case and the hot water will evaporate quickly.

OK, that was going to be my next question...how to get the lube out of the case once you do put a little inside the neck.

Thanks,

Travis

Default Lubing the Neck ?

Seems I read somewhere it was ok to leave the Neck after lubing (I am lubing very lightly with Neck brush and sizer expander ball is retracting nicely) but only wiping down the outside of the case to clean. Is it ok to leave a light lube in there? I was figuring it was maybe part of seating the bullet smoothly also but wondering when I noticed a few grains of powder sticking to the inside of the neck when charging?

Should I worry about a little lube remaining in the neck ? I don't have the whole vibrator cleaning deal, just starting out, working fairly slowly, and working with once fired or range fired clean brass so am wiping down the outside of the case really well and loading up. Is this ok?

That brings up an interesting question for me. I was under the impression that you would use a tumbler before any operations on the press. Would that be true, or would you tumble after lubing/sizing?

Travis

I'm a little picky about cleaning stuff, most people don't wash, at least they don't talk about it.

I don't tumble prior to case work because my cases aren't picked up from the ground. I do tumble after case work while I'm picking up my work area and prepping for the charging and seating stage.

After I separate the media is when I wash and dry the brass. Sometimes I will prime and store the ready to load brass for another day after this step.

I tumble brass in the polisher before sizing to get rid of grit on the brass that can score the dies. Also I would recommend dry neck neck lube Moly-di-Sulfide inside the necks. Less clean up needed and keeps lube outside the cases. If just neck sizing I dip the neck into the dry powder lubing inside and outside and that is all that is needed.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default Gettin away w/o Tumbler?

I am under the impression that the cleaner the better especially before any use of Dies to avoid scratching them up with gritty brass,

Seems there are varying opinions on tumbler with most getting one eventually and doing just as you say, but for now I am just wiping down real well definitely BEFORE lubing and decapping/sizing. I think I am getting away with this for small time start up 40 rounds per session max

Then wiping down the outside of the finished product to make sure no lube affects the firing of the round in the chamber.

I have always wondered about the lubing of the neck though as it seems real easy to mess with the powder charge putting anything in there. So I lube lightly after reading all about it, like roll the neck brush across the lube pad once for every five rounds I shove it into and then only one quick pass inside the neck

TIps from the old hands on this, will be much appreciated...?

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    TIps from the old hands on this, will be much appreciated...?
    Murphy spoke, he's about as old of a hand as you will find here. Not sure about his age but he diffidently has his program figured out.

Default Thanks Murph

Oh thanks Murphy, we must have been typing at the same time

Talking

OLD!!?? Who's old??
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    OLD!!?? Who's old??
    Experience, not age.

After running a case over the lube pad I place the mouth of the case on the lube pad and give it a couple of twists as it is pressed to the pad. Depending on the case I will do this every 3-4 rounds as the resizing is being accomplished. This picks up enough lube to lube the inside of the neck. What extra lube might be in the neck doesnt seem to hurt anything because this has been my method for about 40 years. But I do admit to a quick cleaning with a Q tip if for some reason I suspect to much lube made it's way inside the case neck.
    Tennessee

Like some, I've used a nylon neck brush to apply a small amount of lube to the inside of the neck on the cases I'm sizing, and also to scrub off some of the residue in the neck. This has never caused any "problems" with the powder charge in 10's of thousands of rounds. And yes, I do use that RCBS case lube that some folks seem to not care for.(Haven't stuck a case since I started loading 35 years ago). Doing the brush out with the brush will certainly make the case slide over the ball easier, plus the ball is a press fit coming out so it scrapes the neck clean of any excess lube. If you have to worry about your powder charge being contaminated, you're using too much lube.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Default too much maybe

So if i am seeing a few grains of powder stick to the inside of neck after pouring in the charge through the funnel, is that ok(?) or is that a sign of too much lube and i should lighten up on the amount on the neck brush?

Thanks

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I donít wanna sound like some kind of an expert here, because too many people know better.

"I" lube inside the necks, like I said, but not everybody does.

I brush the inside of the necks first, and use Q Tips to put it there. Unless, Iím using One-Shot Spray Lube, in which case, I get some of it inside the necks.

I wipe the outside of the cases with a paper towel, or shop towel, or a cotton rag. To get the lube out of the necks, I've gone to using a patch in a cleaning loop on a piece of cleaning rod, and adjust the size of the patch for fit in the particular cartridge, and change the patch often.

As far as rifles go, I only load for various 7mm Cartridges, a 30-30 and a 338 WM. Anyway, this works for me. I donít own a tumbler, and donít think I need one.

It might not be necessary to lube the inside of the necks, and IME, using a dry lube, is comparable to using nothing. The way I do it makes for smoother sizing, and I donít mind the extra work of wiping the brass, outside and inside the necks.

I think you get the dents on the cases when you use a lube like that old RCBS crap, that is too thick and sticks to everything it touches. I hate it with a passion.

Better to use the Imperial Sizing Wax, Hornady similar stuff, Lee, One Shot, or ANYTHING similar you find around the house that you can apply with your fingers, is slick, and comes off easy.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Interesting. I am using the RCBS lube, at least I was at the time, as I recall.

I bought a case of Midway spray lube many many years ago. I lay my cases out on a towel in rows and spray at an angle as to get a little in the neck. Then give them a half turn and spray again. (I just make a long fast pass down the line of brass) I have even used PAM cooking spray when I dint have any other case spray. You might try that as a experment on a couple cases to see if it helps.

Gun Runner

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast