Thread: Darn Fox

Default Darn Fox

A darn fox has been raiding my bunny snares. Before the season ends I am thinking about maybe making him in to a wall hanger if I get lucky. Any advice on setting up and ambush for him? I was thinking about some snares and foot holds around a bunny carcass.

Oh hes stolen two bunnies this week right out of the snare.
    I'm going to ctrl-alt-delete you so hard your mama's computer is going to reboot.

Default Call it in.

Sounds like a good chance to get some predator calling in to me. Setup near where he's raiding your bunnies and start off nice and quiet on the call. He's probably staying close to your snares and within earshot. Shotgun him if it's thick cover with some 00. If you get him let us know, good luck.

Default Snowcamoman

Why do you use OO on fox as contrasted with 4B or #2 or something else? I've killed one with lead #4 years back, but have not brought any more home.
    What about steel shot if you had it like BB, BBB, T?

I guess it doesn't matter that much, just that OO seems like it'll punch through thicker brush if needed. BB works fine and you can get decent range with a good tight choke like the Carlson Dead Yotes. The Dead Yote 3 1/2" T shot loads and the Dead Yote choke are really lethal at impressive ranges. That Dead Yote stuff is Expen$ive though, it hurts my wallet everytime I pull the trigger.

I might try a shotgun, but its a little close to the neighbors to be flinging the rifle around. Maybe if the moon cooperates tonight, Ill give it a try.
    I'm going to ctrl-alt-delete you so hard your mama's computer is going to reboot.

Better to stick with the BB then if you're close to the neighbors. Looks like it might be a good night, hope the clouds stay away. You could always use a 22LR if it's that close and it's more of a noise issue with the neighbors. Good luck.

Default Snares

Just set a couple of snares for him in the trails he is running. Should be easy to spot in the snow if he is hitting bunny snares as well.

-TJ

Default snares

leave your next bunny in the snare and hang a fox snare on either side of it on the trail.....
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

He got away from me this weekend. I called twice Friday night when the Moon was decent. Had no luck either time. The secondary snares might be a good idea.

I'll agree with the snare ideas. Set fox snares. Gotta set them high enough the bunnies miss them tho.
    Good Luck.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!