Thread: Another Question from the New Guy.

Default Another Question from the New Guy.

Were thinking about giong south in search of some clams. It looks like Monday will be a -4.1 ft tide in the morning. My question is where would be the best to take the family, I have 3 and 6 year old boys just want to get them out and have some fun. Thanks for the advice in advance!

Smile

Clam Gulch is always a no brainer but check for some better posts later in the day. I haven't clammed in a long time.

Clam gulch is good. If you get a -5 or more deep creek produces some hogs too.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Default Ninilchik is always good

Quote Originally Posted by jmgeoff View Post
    Were thinking about giong south in search of some clams. It looks like Monday will be a -4.1 ft tide in the morning. My question is where would be the best to take the family, I have 3 and 6 year old boys just want to get them out and have some fun. Thanks for the advice in advance!
    The Ninilchik beach is always a good bet. Head towards the saltwater at the bridge.

Default thanks

got another question. is it worth trying to shore fish while at clam gulch, has anyone ever tried it? just want to get a line wet.

Default spring clamming...

has to be one of the COLDEST pastimes i have indulged in. right now the wind chill at the spit is 6 degrees.... digging holes in wet sand at he edge of the water when the wind is blowing and everything is colder than a *itches wit is not likely to be much fun for two little kids or their parents.
    we have gone a few times on these first spring tides, but we done gave that up. we wait for the may tides... still can be nippy, but nothing like the agony of thawing hands after a march clamming trip.
    and i wouldn't bother to fish.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Default Sanity of Clamming

Yeah. I question the sanity of clamming everytime I start cleaning the two limits of clams between me and my wife. To do it in March is nuts. Cabin fever use to get us down there around end of April and we finally gave that up as well.

Default Had a good time

Clam gulch in march was a success! Got 90 clams and was awesome. The boy's had a blast on the beach in snow suits, over night in a tent was a bit chilly but we survived, but next time bigger heater and it will be even better, had the whole beach to ourselves!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Good for you!
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

Quote Originally Posted by jmgeoff View Post
    Clam gulch in march was a success! Got 90 clams and was awesome. The boy's had a blast on the beach in snow suits, over night in a tent was a bit chilly but we survived, but next time bigger heater and it will be even better, had the whole beach to ourselves!

Good job getting after them clams. Heater in a tent? Be safe brother.

Default Hardcore Clammers

Good job JM getting that good looking family "Out There" in winter

You guys are hardcore Alaskans to be sure

Looks like everyone is happy on the beach and well dressed. Where'd you find a girl like that??

I'd also caution on the heater in tent tho, you probably are being safe with it but...., by my experience it's better to get heavier bags or a couple extra foam pads underneath and some Thick Down on top, with good undergarments of Capilene,etc than a heater in the tent

You obviously have your act together tho, 90 CLAMS, yeah

When we winter camp in a tent we take a small Honda-1000 generator and a 100ft cord with an electric blanket plugged to it, laying it on top of the air matures the electric blanket keeps the air in the matures all warm & toasty, it also warms up your bags (it works great) just remember to fill-up before crawling in for the night.
    This brain child came about while discussing how to keep a buddy heater out of the tent while we slept or in some cases passed out.