Thread: Yes, Potatoes can be grown most anywhere.

Matanuska-Susitna, AK / Tampa Bay, FL Areas

Default Yes, Potatoes can be grown most anywhere.

I guess with perma-frost in a lot of Alaska, growing potatoes outside would be a bit problematic. I was successful at growing potatoes in garbage cans, containers, and in pots while indoors when I lived in Northern Wisconsin. Potatoes do not like it too hot or at frost temperatures to grow so I sat them in front of windows at least 10 feet from the Wood Stove. It usually took 2 to 4 months for them to grow depending on the variety. I am not sure if there was any passive heat stored within the containers from being in the sunlight. I did this so long ago and that wasn't even thought about in the early 1980s.

Most gardeners know that seed potatoes are full-size potatoes that are allowed to start producing shoots in the potato eyes. This happens when youíve stored potatoes too long or when your child grows a potato plant from a potato suspended in a jar with water in it. I had always used old potatoes that I allowed to eye out by leaving them in a dark place until they eye up. Then, I would take them out and let them dry for a day or more before planting to callus up. Seed potatoes can be planted whole or by cutting them into pieces with each piece having one, two, or three eyes.

As long as the inside of the home is kept between 60 and 75 degrees farenheight and they have plentiful light I think the spuds should do very well. I plan to put in a few homebuilt triple pane sky lights in my upcoming build to augmet the window light. Cold climate gardeners plant potatoes in mid to late spring sometimes into June. Because I plant inside in containers... I plant fairly early in April.

I plant seed potatoes in the bottom of a tall container such as a clean garbage can. I like planting whole large potatoes if possible, however, one could plant whole small to medium seed potatoes or small pieces with 2-3 eyes each and sow them 2 inches deep with at least 8 inches of soil under them. Spread out the seed potatoes about 10 inches apart. I hilled the plants when they reached 8-9 inches high by placing soil up around them and surrounding the rest of the container with peat moss. Potatoes can rot if the soil is too cool or wet. One can also purchase a powdered fungicide for dusting onto the seed pieces to avoid rotting. Keep adding soil and/or peat as the plants get taller. Containers make hilling easy and take up very little space.

Potatoes donít care much for rich soil so most any drainable soil will do (do not plant in clay like soils). Make sure to water them at least and inch a week and allow the container to drain at the bottom into it's flattened lid or other large receptacle.

I harvested new potatoes at about 9 - 10 weeks after planting and harvested storage potatoes after the vines have all died. I like to extend my potato growing season so I choose an early variety, mid variety, and a couple late main season varieties. I am going to try these two blue flesh varieties that are varieties with highest amounts of antioxidants and these yellows that are second best and have excellent storage properties.

Summer | Purple Majesty | purple | purple | oblong | early-mid | medium-high | fair salads, boiling, fries

Fall | All Blue | deep blue | blue/white | oblong | mid | medium-high | good | salads, boiling, fries

Winter \/ Bintje | yellow | yellow | oblong | late | high | excellent | soups, mashing
    Spring /\ German Butterball | netted yellow | yellow | round-oblong | late | high | excellent baking, fries

A couple of Seed Potato Web Sites:

Ebbesson Farms - AlaskaPure Potatoes - Nenana Alaska
    Ebbesson Farms in Nenana, Alaska is a certified organic producer of AlaskaPure Potatoes and Certified Seed Potatoes - 3k - Cached

Seed potato
    WHITE Seed Potatoes. AK 114- developed in Alaska. White skin and flesh - good all purpose ... Alaska- All purpose. White skin and flesh - excellent baker; most solid of any potato. ... - 6k - Cached

Anatoly Taturenku
    HC 60 Box 4185
    Delta Junction AK 99737
    907 895 4149

Frank Boreman
    Box 1124
    Delta Junction AK 99737
    907 895 4148

Keith Moore
    HC03 Box 5480
    Wasilla AK 99657
    907 376 5217

Jay Dearborn
    HC01 Box 6124
    Palmer AK 99645
    907 745-3501

Pyrah's Pioneer Peak Farm
    Ted & Preston Pyrah
    P O Box 966
    Palmer AK 99645
    907 745 3557

Ebbesson Farms
    P.O. Box 370
    Nenana AK. 99760
    907 479 0440

Faith Farms
    Box 625
    Kodiac AK 99615
    907 486 3099

Brasier Farms
    Lyall Brasier
    P O Box 483
    Delta Junction Ak 99737
    907 895 4961

Little Susitna Farm
    HC 5 Box 6872
    Palmer AK 99645
    907 746 5422

Robert Nelson
    290 E Railroad Ave
    Wasilla Ak 99654
    907 373 5819

Dan Green
    My Father's Farm
    3450 Sharon Rd.
    North Pole Ak 99705
    907 488 7273
    907 377 5190 fax

Hope this helps someone.

Bristol bay

Thanks for the info.

thank you for the info

On this subject, I think you will find that if you don't use the same ground year after year, you will have better luck. I've seen where if you alternate the soil that you plant in you will get a better harvest. ( Plant a crop in one area for a couple of years, then switch to another piece of ground for a couple of year's.)

The land need's to rejuvinate.

Of course I could be wrong on this, but it's what I've noticed.

Matanuska-Susitna, AK / Tampa Bay, FL Areas

Thanks Rock skipper,

I like to rotate garden plots on a 5 year rotation. Some do a 7 year rotation, however, I have found that yeild is significantly decreased by the 5th or 6th year. I rotate my garden space so that part of my garden rests out on the 5th year. It is easier to divide a small garden crosswise into sections. The four sections being planted would be; Section A: Garlic/Onions/Leaks and Tomatoes, Section B: Carrots/Rutabagas/Horse Radish and Beets, Section C: Spinach/Lettuces/Cabbages, Section D: Corn/Squash/Pumpkin and Beans, Section E: rest. I rotate these Sections as the years go by. This is what I have found that works for me. Again, I am no expert so whatever works for you go ahead and share it with the rest of us so that we may give it a try.

Hope this helps.