Thread: prop/jet switch on OBs

Default prop/jet switch on OBs

How hard is this to do? I was under the impression that it wasn't a big deal, but some have told me that it's quite a PITA. Right now I'm physically swapping my 50 prop motor for a separate 60/40 jet motor, which requires the use of an engine hoist. My plan is eventually to sell 'em both and get a newer 90 horse motor, set it up for a small console, and have both prop and jet legs for it. I know that a lot of people in Alaska do this.

I'm not sure what I'm gunning for yet, but was thinking of either an ETEC or a Yamaha or Mercury 2-stroke. I need something lightweight. My main concern about the carbed 2-strokes is the noise level and fuel consumption though, which makes me lean towards the ETEC, even though it will cost more. I know that I'd need to buy/make a jackplate, but I'm wondering how difficult it will be to switch over the FNR cables, and bolt on bottom ends...

thanks for your help!

You have to have an engine jack like a cmc manual or power lift (with a 90 i'd go with the power lift). The FNR cables are easy on my Tohatsu I do not use the reverse bucket on the jet, in fact I remove it. When I use the prop I use a quick release clip for the shift cable.

Trailerboats magazine has an online review of 90hp outboards that you should google.

I think it takes me about 30 minutes to swap lower units and I do it out in the field its easy.

sobie2

Something to consider is an long shaft extension kit instead of a lift that can cause problems with the jet set up. A lift moves the motor back 5 to 6 inches, which you would have to extend the hull back in order to "feed the jet" correctly. Here is a link that I was pointed to http://www.marineparts.com/PARTSPAGE...ories/ACC8.HTM
    DISCLAIMER: I am looking at doing this but have NOT taken the plunge yet. But seems to be a better way to go.
    20' Wooldridge Sport 08' 150hp E-Tec
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

akhilux -

I have the cmc manual lift for my 50hp on a light 1652 SeaArk tunnel and the motor setback is not an issue... on my setup...

I also looked into the shaft extension kit but for my motor they didn't make one. I think that it might work, but I have also heard that the height difference may be more than 5 inches. Some jets have a 1" spacer/adapter kit. The motor lifts allow you to really fine tune the height which is critical.

Bottom line do your homework first, if you do find the right combination akhilux's (a Toyota 4runner guy?) suggestion could be a fast way to swap between units.

To swap between units you need to buy a long shaft motor 20" because you raise it to run the jet and lower it to run a prop.

Sobie2