Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help moving to alaska with guns? ? ?

Talking help moving to alaska with guns? ? ?

ok i am looking to move to alaska this fall but have a lot of rifles and handguns .. i was thinking of just driving them up but after reading a few websites on firearms through canada i don't think i well have much luck bring my ak-47, ar-15, sks and other toys near canada or is that wrong? ? ? ideas would be great thanks
    james d

Default Mail

For the long rifles try mailing them to yourself. You will need an address up here, sometimes people (on this and other forums) tell me that it can't be done (legally).

But here is how I did it, took rifle into post office in case, asked them if I could mail it to myself they said yes but I would need an address, as I did not have one for them at that time I then took rifles from NY to MT (which was my route in AK) and left them with my Dad in MT.

Dad later took rifles into post office in rifle case and asked if he could mail them to me they said sure, had to take bolts out and send them registered mail. About $52 for two rifles in a double case from MT, took little more than a week to get here. Still can't mail pistols but just having someone bring up other guns when they come up to fish this summer (with luck).

Or you can go through the mess and extra costs of having a Dealer with liscense send them to a Dealer with liscense here, expect them to add at least $20 to touch it (each rifle/pistol).

Default Where

Where will you be moving too? I have transported many guns on the State ferry without a problem..

Woody

NO hand guns through Canada, and they are getting too pissy to deal with on long guns too. Just send them to an FFL, if you are coming to the Kenai Peninsula I have an excellent guy for ya.

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

Legal Method

But here is how I did it, took rifle into post office in case, asked them if I could mail it to myself they said yes but I would need an address.
    Illegal Method

Dad later took rifles into post office in rifle case and asked if he could mail them to me they said sure, had to take bolts out and send them registered mail.

Nothing says you can't have General Delivery at any Post Office as an address in which to mail long guns to yourself.
    Allen Glore

i am shipping my "toys" and handguns to a ffl in alaska it is going to cost some crazy amount... trying to work out a bulk deal on the fll .....25 bucks a gun is going to be a ton of money.............should a ship all my long guns "shotguns " ffl too or try to bering them throught canada...also what is the best and cheapest shipping on handguns and long guns.... also what is this ferry thing if i had them all in my truck and took a ferry to alaska would that let me skip the ffl stuff or is there even a ferry that runs that far and how much this is a liek a bad dream i am looking at 350 to ffl plus shipping wow

Default Problems

You have problems. Handguns have to be shipped FFL to FFL. No military style firearms through Canada either. Allen is right about the General Delivery. I shipped mine that way. I also took five long guns through Canada. Delima though! There used to be no form for moving to the US from the US. I had to fill out the form for transporting a firearm into Canada for the purpose of hunting.

As far as the legal long guns (Canadian Rules), why not contact the Border Patrol nearest your home and talk to them. Our officer here fills out the paperwork here in Valdez for taking the firearms through Tok to the lower 48 for hunting. No problems.

The ferry runs all summer from Seattle to parts of Alaska. You can take anything legal in your truck with you. The cost of shipping everything may defray the cost of the ferry. Just do a search for the Alaska Ferry System.

Good luck.
    "Never again shall one generation of Veterans abandon another".
    Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default Ferry

The ferry runs all year around. prices are allot cheaper in the winter. Last time I toook the ferry it was this fall from bellingham Washington to ketchikan Alaska. with my truck towing a 22 foot trailer with 19 long guns and hand guns in my truck. the cost was $1300.00 dollars for the truck trailer 3 people and a private 4 berth cabin. For the truck they charge buy the foot so it is much cheaper if you are not towing. you can also pitch a tent on deck if you dont want the cost of the cabin. it is a great way to see some great country.

Woody

PM me if you want any details on the ferry I use it allot.

I forgot no ffl or extra charge for the guns.

well i am looking at juneau or anchorage so if i pick juneau i can use the fairy that rocks any idea how much just a pickup truck in spring or winter would cost to juneau from washington???

Default Alaska Marine Highway link

http://www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs/index.html
    Might get the information you need from them.....
    June-September you might get a cross-gulf passage and that'd put you into a U.S. port and not have to deal with the Canadians at all. Any other means, short of flying, is going to put you through a Canadian port somewhere.

Default As far as shipping handguns

To an FFL ,as it was explained to me last summer from an FFL dealer they can be shipped but The Alaska FFL cant give them to you unless you have an Alaska address.
    So we took them on the airline --and they were stolen (lost) one S&W 44 and one ruger 44 cal. plus all the fishing equipment in that peice of luggage.
    Alaska Air did cut a check for 3000.00 to cover it though.
    still, it sucks

Smile BY Sea

I moved up in 2004 and I have to many toy I had a 16' well inclosed trailer. I cleaned and oiled took pic and ser# put them in a locked job box and sent it on the ferry, there was a guy in Juno that moved my trailer from one farry to the other. The trailer was filled with house hold stuff also. I had no problems. When I pulled into canada I waited till late evening to cross all my paper work was in buiders 1 for each truck (3) with trailers. MAKE sure there is no bullets in you rig or thay will tear it apart looking that on reason to go at night. You can also ride the farry with you gun at check the web site from above. if you have any other question e-mail tscglock35@yahoo.com I'll be happy to help. By the way were ya moven to.
    Scott

Default Canada and Guns

When I came through Caqnada, I had a multitude of firearms with me. I checked with customs (via telephone) and had all of the required paperwork filled out ahead of time. When I got to the crossing, I told the officer that I had the guns and I gave her the paperwork. She very diligently went through it and then I paid a flat fee of $25 or $50 (for the entire lot) and had no trouble at all.

This web site has the forms and the regulations:
    http://www.cfc-ccaf.gc.ca/info_for-r.../visitin_e.asp

All of the information that you need should be on there including the amount of ammunition you can take.

If you have any question about any of your guns being legal to transport, contact the Canadian officials and they will help you.

Tim
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

Question Shipping Guns via mail

Suppose if one person takes guns to post office and asks if they can mail guns to someone else. Post office says yes...and if it was or is illegal, who is to blame the customer of the post office or the post office and or it's agent?

My point in telling you how my father shipped them to me is quit honestly you get a few different opinions from the post office on how this can be done. Honestly I think most of them don't know (personally I've asked in three different states and got three different answers)...but then all I (or we) can do is take guidance from them on what we can and can not do.

Good Luck getting them up here.

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Denter View Post

Suppose if one person takes guns to post office and asks if they can mail guns to someone else. Post office says yes...and if it was or is illegal, who is to blame the customer of the post office or the post office and or it's agent?

Nobody within the Post Office is authorized to give legal advise on shipping firearms. Publication 52 spells out the shipping of firearms.
    Allen Glore

Default Just Call Border patrol !

You shouldn't have any problems bringing rifle's. Hang guns won't make it. Just call border patrol and they will let you know where and how to fill out the paperwork. There is a small fee but it's not as bad paying shipping fee's. Good luck with the drive. I just made the drive from OKlahoma to Anchorage in 3 1/2 days.
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Question Mailing Guns

When I refer to the USPS Publications 52 it says:
    "Unloaded rifles and shotguns may be mailed if the mailer fully complies with the Gun Control Act of 1968 (Public Law 90-618) and 18 USC 921. The mailer may be required to establish, by opening the parcel or by written certification, that the gun is unloaded and not excluded from mailing because of the restrictions in 432.2 b and c."

And then when I refer to the referenced "Gun Control Act of 1968 (Public Law 90-618) and 18 USC 921" says:
    "The Gun Control Act of 1968, as amended, contains the principal federal restrictions on domestic commerce in small arms and ammunition. The statute requires all persons manufacturing, importing, or selling firearms as a business to be federally licensed; prohibits the interstate mail-order sale of all firearms; prohibits interstate sale of handguns generally, sets forth categories of persons to whom firearms or ammunition may not be sold (such as persons under a specified age or with criminal records); authorizes the Secretary of the Treasury to prohibit the importation of non-sporting firearms; requires that dealers maintain records of all commercial gun sales; and establishes special penalties for the use of a firearm in the perpetration of a federal drug trafficking offense or crime of violence. Transactions between persons "not engaged in the business" are not covered by the Act."

Again a difference of opinions and the frustrating this is there is no easy answer on if you can mail guns from one to another. Although there is specific guidance in mail-order guns as a business (which is not the issue in question). ??

Exclamation Mailing Guns

Let me come clean I have not been involved with nor received any firearms in the mail, rather generated my post in a theoretical way to generate discussion into the matter.

Having said that, The Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms says you can not receive them from someone else, when I asked if you could have someone mail your rifles to you if they had a general power of attorney they said yes (this would have fit my theoretical situation had it be an actual event). They stated that you can mail them to someone else to hold for you:

"May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity?

Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm."

Here is their reference: http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b7

I believe you can FedEx handguns from yourself, to yourself. Let me see if I can find the paperwork.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast