Thread: I think I found the Holster for the scoped SBH Hunter

Default I think I found the Holster for the scoped SBH Hunter

Last weekend at the gunshow I got to talking to a guy and he told me that after 20 years he finally found a holster he likes for a larger handgun. He told me about Ringler Custom Leather. Well, I've been in contact with Von Ringler this week and he sent me this pic. With the snap setup you can also put it around your waist strong side or crossdraw or tuck it up higher under your arm or rotate it more as chest carry. I think I'm gonna order one for the BisHunter. You send him pics, measurements, a tracing of the gun and he custom makes them. Anyone hear ever see one up close and personal?

Wyoming Combination Holster

45 Colt BisHunter

I'm not sure about the size. That's a bit too much leather IMHO.

Let us know how it turns out.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

I think it will do a lot of flopping around. It kind of reminds my of the TripleK holster that you can wear five different ways and none of them perfect.

Thanks for the input guys.

There is a belt strap/loop that goes from the bottom up the back side. You can see where it hooks on on the bottom with a snap, should help with floppage. I think that being one piece form fitting would help as well. Rather than the typical bandoleer belt with a holster hanging off the bottom.

My first thought was that it looked too big as well but i've looked at some other pics of guy wearing them in the field and it kind of form fits the way it wraps. I think that's the point. It wraps around the back some making the whole unit more rigid.

Anyway, I seem to be talking myself into this one.

It sure would be nice if I could actually get my hands on a bunch of different rigs to compare. At some point I just need to take the plunge. Maybe I can find the guy I saw at the gunshow and get a look at his.

If you get one you will have to post your thoughts. I am looking for a good holster for the same gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Docins View Post
    If you get one you will have to post your thoughts. I am looking for a good holster for the same gun.
    Ya will do for sure. I'm really leanin towards it. Here's another pic from Ringlers website.

And a couple from Dustin Linebaughs site for sixguns without a scope. It looks like this one's been carried some.

Well, I just mailed off a check and a tracing of my gun to Von to make my rig. I'll be the forum guinea pig on this one and let you all know what I think when it shows up. He said 3-4 weeks turn around time. I figure add another week or two for mail time, etc. I should have it by mid April.

Let us know how it goes.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Ya will do PhishFinder. In looking at pics of others he has made they are all sized differently depending on the gun. It's not a "one size fits all" based on barrel length. Von requested all kinds of dimensions of the gun and scope and some pics and a tracing so he can custom make it to fit the gun/scope combo. Because of the way the scope sits over the barrel and between the sites on my SBH, the holster should be a little smaller/shorter than the scoped holster in the pic.

What is interesting is that if you look at it, its not just a pouch sewn onto the outside of the larger piece of leather. He cuts a slit in the large piece and sews a back on it and then forms the holster pocket. The design of the holster not coming up over the trigger guard means less leather to clear for easier drawing. For some reason this rig just grabbed my attention. I guess I'll see how I like it in a few weeks.

I like the holster; except, yea there is always one reason and its that it has an exposed trigger. With my brush busting I would like the trigger covered. I am also wishing for a holster to carry a scoped revolver in.

Snyd, please do let us know how you like it. Oh yea, thanks for taking one for the team!

I got one of these for my 7-1/2" FA 454. I can't find an online pic of the bigger single-action model. But I like it a lot, it fits great, and I can put it on and take it off easily.

It's not dainty, but it looks a little less leather-intensive than the one above.

That sort of looks like one from Pistol Packaging. Here's a pic of one for a scoped gun. I don't like how the holster hangs from the strap. It looks to me like it'd have a lot of hinge effect.

Maybe so. FWIW, here's a 5-minute old glamorous photo of me and the holster:

And here's one of the fancy 320gr FN Cor-Bon rounds in it:

Quote Originally Posted by jeff p View Post
    I like the holster; except, yea there is always one reason and its that it has an exposed trigger. With my brush busting I would like the trigger covered. I am also wishing for a holster to carry a scoped revolver in.

Snyd, please do let us know how you like it. Oh yea, thanks for taking one for the team!
    Ya, I contemplated the exposed trigger thing but came to the realization that I've been exposing my trigger in the woods for years It started with the 410 and 20 gauge when I was 10, moved up to the 12 gauge, the 30-30 levergun, on to the awt-six, 243, 7mm, 325wsm and and and.... Never been an issue. I've never carried any of my shotguns or rifles in "shoulder scabbards" to protect the trigger. I can see where this design could give an advantage in not having to clear as much leather with a long barreled. Time will tell.

Well, at least I finally made a decision and ordered something! I have a tendency to over analyze stuff to the point of Paralysis of Analysis... I've done googled "scope holster" until I googled up my own google I've talked to guys, emailed custom leather makers and on and on and on.... Then this kind of fell together. I was actually getting ready to order one of these Kodiak Hunter holsters but then a guy told me about his WY Combo. I'm not sure how secure it would hold the SBH Hunter though with the way the scope sits over the barrel and extends two within in inch of the end.

Last edited by Snyd; 11-11-2010 at 10:38.

Marinehawk. Yours looks more like a custom job. Nice looking rig, and holding the FA to boot. Good on ya! Murphy let me fondle one of his FA 454's when he lived in town here. Man, those FA's just reek of quality, and the sound and feel of cocking the hammer on that thing is just... well, you know...

I can see where the bandelero style can come in handy for taking off and one whiled hinking, sitting, taking coat off and on,etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    Marinehawk. Yours looks more like a custom job. Nice looking rig, and holding the FA to boot. Good on ya! Murphy let me fondle one of his FA 454's when he lived in town here. Man, those FA's just reek of quality, and the sound and feel of cocking the hammer on that thing is just... well, you know...

I can see where the bandelero style can come in handy for taking off and one whiled hinking, sitting, taking coat off and on,etc.
    As to the holster, sadly no. It's just a fairly cheapo Sportsman's Whorehouse holster: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c....aspx?a=221814
    I'm not a big fan of SW, but I couldn't find anything so simple, cheap, and practical anywhere else. I just stretched the leather a bit around the hammer, snapped it shut, left it that way for a few weeks, and now it fits like a hand in a glove.

As to the FA, it's truly a nice gun. It makes me proud that it's made in America. I got mine from a consignment seller who was unloading it fairly cheap about 14 months ago. I was soon telling my engineer scientist father in Missou, who loves nice revolvers, on the phone that it literally had no play in the cylinder. He politely changed the subject--not wanting to call my statement in doubt, but clearly not believing it. Last November, when he came through on a trip to South Africa, I let him see it. He sat there on the couch for almost an hour just looking at and playing with it in admiration. It is, by far, the closest firearm I own to a Swiss watch. What's amazing is that I know people who have shot many hundreds of full-house .454 loads through them over the years, and they still have no play. One thing though, you can, but should not, fire the .45 Colt rounds through it without getting a new cylinder. But, to get one, you have to send it in to have it perfectly fitted. Eventually, I want to get one in something like a .357 that's a little more fun just to play around with.