Thread: Seward questions

Default Seward questions

So I'm trying to decide between Seward (if I can get a slip) and Whittier for the summer. I'm ok driving the extra 75 or so minutes to Seward, so let's go ahead and call that a wash.

I've seen you can shrimp out of Seward, but have to run a distance, but I do hear the Silver fishing is slamming there as well. So I'm looking for some folks to sound off perhaps on what they think. (no holy wars though, both places are great I'm sure)

I have to admit with my boys, I'm seriously considering Seward as there is stuff for them to be entertained with if the weather isn't all that great for a weekend, and we'd have a place to sleep/eat.

Dan

I also think seward would be a better bet if you don't mind the drive. I think the halibut fishing will be a little easier as well as the silvers start a heck of a lot earlier.For the beauty I think whittier would be the best but you cant eat the beauty and your kids probably dont give a hoot about it as well. Shrimping is a long ways off in seward but it can be done. If the weathers bad you can do some snaggin at the local rivers for reds (lots of fun dangerous but fun).

Quote Originally Posted by akfishin View Post
    So I'm trying to decide between Seward (if I can get a slip) and Whittier for the summer. I'm ok driving the extra 75 or so minutes to Seward, so let's go ahead and call that a wash.

I've seen you can shrimp out of Seward, but have to run a distance, but I do hear the Silver fishing is slamming there as well. So I'm looking for some folks to sound off perhaps on what they think. (no holy wars though, both places are great I'm sure)

I have to admit with my boys, I'm seriously considering Seward as there is stuff for them to be entertained with if the weather isn't all that great for a weekend, and we'd have a place to sleep/eat.

Dan
    I've never spent much time out of Whittier because of the reasons mentioned. Too costly and nothing to do if you get blown off the water. There is par halibut unlike Homer unless you run 40 miles or so. Great silvers, rock bass and good lingcod. Didn't catch shrimp this past year as its partially my fault for not wanting to run that far. No luck with Tanner Crab yet, but will keep trying. Lots of things to do in town or close by. Great Hiking if your boys are into it.

The less miles I have to drive on the Seward Highway, in the summer the safer I feel. Plan on at least one 6-hour wait, per year because of a fatal accident. In the summer I come to town at 4:AM and leave by 1:PM to avoid the crazies, and I am driving a 4X4 tractor......

Smile

I have to agree with most of the boys about Seward. I ran a little Charter business out of Whittier a few years back and it was well worth the time spent. There are lots of little areas that support good fishing for just about everything, but you have to put your time in. Also the trip to Seward from Whittier is outstanding if you have the time. Lots of good fishing.

In the few years I've been boating out of both Whittier and Seward I can sum it up as, Seward is the location to go for fishing, you will get into consistant good fishing closer to port, and you don't have to mess around with the tunnel or parking. In reality from the time you leave Anchortown to the time you hit the watter is a wash between Whittier and Seward.

The upside of Whittier is PWS is an amazing place to explore, hike and there are many, many places to safely hole up. On the downside, you should expect to run 50-80 miles from port to get into consistant good fishing, and the salmon fishing out of whittier typically isn't anywere as good as Seward. I honestly haven't spent any time in Whittier, I'm always passing through.

The wife and kids aren't as hardcore about fishing as I am, so they prefer going out of Whittier and spending more time on shore than on the water. Something to be said for letting the shrimp pots do the work while hiking around the sound.

The best thing about Seward is the really nice bays, islands, and other places nearby. Not that I have anthing against Resurrection Bay, but I can spend a week in Aialik Bay goofing around with lots of shore trips for the family at Coleman Bay. While it is hardly ever mentioned, the fishing in the lower bay can be great and most of the time (during high pressure) the upper bay is flat calm thanks to the glaciers. The shrimping is not something to write home about, but you will have more than enough for good dinners.

The same thing can be said for Day Harbor minus the shrimping. It is worthy of exploring for a few days by itself. Bowen Anchorage is a superb place to drop the hook, hike around, and drink a beer or two while staring at superb scenery. In fact, other than the darn bugs, it is one of my favorite anchorages as it is almost always flat calm and totally windless. Bring Deet......

There is other places out of Seward that I haven't mentioned that are great too. Heck, I am sort of surprised that someone has written a cruising guide for the North Gulf Coast like the Lethcoes did. Maybe Paul will.......

Personally, I think that both places are great and I would be a little disappointed if I could not experience both places every year. Now for what is best for your family, it sounds like Seward would work best for you since you want something to do besides fart around in the boat. And chances are, you will get slip there as they seem to almost always have one open outside of the weekends of the salmon derby.