Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Squirrely ride

  1. #1
    New member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    493

    Default Squirrely ride

    I have a 92 skidoo skandic 2 with a 377cc motor. It runs like a top,but when you get on it and goose it it starts to get squirrely and swerve around. If your just putting around at a slow speed its fine, just when you gun it... Any ideas...

  2. #2

    Default

    Sounds like you have too much ski pressure. Is the track spinning loosely when it gets squirrely? Does the backend want to fishtail? If so, try putting some more track pressure on the snow.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  3. #3
    Member JOAT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Soldotna, ALASKA since '78
    Posts
    3,720

    Default

    I was going to say too little ski pressure in that you are getting weight transfer to the rear and the skis are no longer controlling your direction of travel.
    Winter is Coming...

    Go GeocacheAlaska!

  4. #4
    New member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    493

    Default

    Sorry ,,dont know much about snow machines,,How do you put more pressure on track? Or how do i adjust it to get skis controlling the machine?..Thanks,DAN
    Last edited by danthedewman1; 02-25-2010 at 22:29. Reason: added more

  5. #5
    Member JOAT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Soldotna, ALASKA since '78
    Posts
    3,720

    Default

    Your snowmachine's weight is set on 4 points at 3 positions on the long axis. Obviously the 2 skis up front share the weight at the front point. Then the rear suspension has 2 points of contact. Yes, they are tied by the rails and track, but you have to consider them separately when setting the machine up. You change the suspension by adjusting spring pressure. Generally you'll have a quick adjust mechanism on the rear arm of the rear suspension. Start there. Adjust it to the next position and try it. Adjust it back the other way and try it. Continue with the direction that made the sled handle better.
    Winter is Coming...

    Go GeocacheAlaska!

  6. #6
    Member Erik in AK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    2,008

    Default

    If it tracked properly before then it might be something simple like worn carbides.

    Can you describe "squirrely" in more specific terms?

  7. #7
    Member SusitnaAk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    ANCHORAGE
    Posts
    784

    Default

    There should be a strap under there towards the front, You will see some holes in it on it,s loop. If suck it up tighter should put the weight on the skies, if looseing it take weight off the skies,put more track on the ground, Also check the skags, on the skies, loose ball joints in the tie rod ends,Steering arm. all this needs to be tight at high speed, or any of them will cause the darting. Check the toe in /out of skis, P.S. Does it have plastic ski skins on it? These are also could cause it.

  8. #8
    New member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    493

    Default

    Has new carbides and no ski skins...

  9. #9

    Default

    Check your limiter strap, it might be to loose.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •