Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: shrimp 101

Default shrimp 101

First can a person effectivelly pull up a shrimp pot without a pot puller or is it too much of a pain? Second I am interested in catching different shrimp other than spot prawns. Are there other harvestable shrimp in SE Alaska that one can catch with a pot or any other method. I keep seeing these shrimp along the beach at night but am unsure what kind they are and do not know if they are edible. Anyway any advice would be great!

Smile

you'll pull it once by hand and then make a decision. look down the posts, there is some good stuff already said.

Default Pulling by hand

Pulling one pot is simple. Two - three are not bad to pull either. When it gets to four and five, it does take some effort. It can be done and by the end of the season of pulling them everyother day you get used to it. You might lok like Popeye though.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Quote Originally Posted by kirktabasco1 View Post
    you'll pull it once by hand and then make a decision. look down the posts, there is some good stuff already said.

I did the same thing. Did take long to shell out for a puller!

Default Depends on depth...

Sometimes early on, just outside Valdez for instance, some people do well on shrimp in less than 100 feet of water. Bet you won't pull even one pot 300 feet more than once or so!

We get a few coonstripe shrimp in PWS, but why would you want something other than Alaskan Spot shrimp, nothing better than them! Some places get pink shrimp, ones I've seen are way smaller than spots, all shrimp taste good but Spots are king...

Default Depth

I used to catch good numbers of coon stripes at about 350'. Now that I fish between 600' - 700', its rare that I catch anything other than spots.

So far as pulling goes, I did it by hand the first two years, then I bought a puller. Money well spent.

I bought two pots, weighted them, and dropped them 600' twice (I'm a slow learner) Each time after much struggling I had a grand total of 12 shrimp per pull.

Last year a buddy loaned me his puller and 5 pots. Each time I'd pull the string I'd have over 100 shrimp.

A few things I learned. Pulling pots by hand really, really sucks. Shrimp will escape from a pot by propelling themselves backwards through the mesh of the pot. Hence the longer it takes you to get the pots on the boat, the more shrimp you will loose.

If you'd like to fish for halibut by handjigging, you'll like pulling pots by hand. If you like fishing for halibut with a reel and a rod, you'll want to shrimp with a pot puller.

Default bouy/hand

I have only used the bouy method and the hand pull method.

For me - at times, the bouy method was very stressful - the line is under tremendous stress with 5 pots on the line - I think that I lost lots of shrimp pulling the pots all over the bay. A few time it went flawlessly - but sometimes very stressful - like when I went just a few feet past my yellow line marker and tried to pull a pot through my puller - - barely caught a thread of the nylon rope - only lost one pot instead of 5.

I also pulled them by hand over the side of a 22 and 26 foot hewescraft. Whew - that is some work there - even for 3 guys. That was with a 5 pot string in 600-700 foot.

I then bought a little rubber dinghy that I take out. No way was I going to try to pull with the bouy - it would rip my boat in two I am afraid. So I rigged a shrimp pot puller (A wheel on the end of a piece of plastic that slides into a standard rod holder) - from Scotty.

The hand pull method with the pully works slick. I reduced my string to 2 on one and 3 on the other. I get them up from 800 feet in about 15 minutes. It isn't forceful - and I am not dragging the pots all over the bay. It is a little bit of a workout - but less than going to the Gym. I take a turn and the wife coils then she takes a turn and I coil...one swap like that and we are done.

Pulled once with my wife and once with my buddies then bought a puller - used the puller 2 seasons and it pulls great but I want a faster one - Don't have much patience.

Buoy method here, using two pots. I use the "Anchor Buddy" that has the one-way bolt that prevents the line from going back out once the pots are at the surface. Its super easy to do once you get the hang of it. Pulling by hand is horrible in my experience.

Thanks that bouy method seems great for me. That anchor buddy system also seems like a good plan. I will google it right away.

Tried the bouy method 1 time when the pop puller was broke, really tore up the pots, i think the pots were hung up on the bottom, maybe i was doing something wrong, but that was the last time i used the bouy method. A pot puller is the way to go i think, just my 2 cents.

I did the buoy method for a season and half with great success, pulled 4 of Steve’s pots on a string. Problem is ones you get them to the top you have to pull the rests by hand and that first one is a dozy. Bought an ACE pot puller last year but can only pull two at a time; way better than manhandling them over the side. The ACE gets the job done for me and takes up very little space. Now my 10 year old can do the pulling while I relax and my back thanks me. If you go with the buoy method pull no faster than 4 to 5 mph and use a large buoy, set uphill and pull downhill when you can.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

With the Bouy method i used the eagle claw the catch the ring of the bouy. It made it so easy to pull to bouy to the boat. The claw won't allow the rope to slide back down. It will catch the bouy ring.

I go with a chain of 2 pot toghter. No more then 2. With my pot puller ACE it will take me about 30 mintues to pull 2 pots and 900 ft. of rope. With the Bouy I can do it just under 10 minutes. That is pulling and having all pots and rope nice stacked int he boat.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Link to what I use

scotty trap-eeze crab & prawn trap puler
    Crab and prawn trap roller for easy retrieval. Fits Scotty post rod mounts for convenient
    mounting and versatile positioning. Made with tough reinforced nylon and rigid design gives
    Trap-ease ultimate strength.
    scy749 crab & prawn trap pul withOUT mt......$ 40.50
    scy750 crab & prawn trap pul with mount......$ 44.

page 299 here ----> http://rainboat.com/pdfs/Fishing.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    I go with a chain of 2 pot toghter. No more then 2. With my pot puller ACE it will take me about 30 mintues to pull 2 pots and 900 ft. of rope. With the Bouy I can do it just under 10 minutes. That is pulling and having all pots and rope nice stacked int he boat.
    That is slow, it takes me about 10 minutes to pull two pots and 900 feet of line with my ACE, thought I was slow. You may need to increase your fuze size or run larger wire, I use 8 gage with a 60 amp fuze. If the motor goes ACE will just send me a replacment, but if it bogs I tie off the line and pull into deep water tell the snag comes loose; only had to do that twice last year.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

I haven't shrimped more than a dozen times and I pulled by hand each time, always taking turns with a buddy, and honestly I didn't think it was so bad that I had to get a pot puller right away, but then again I am fairly young and I have been pulling on gill nets all my life

Thanks for the ideas. I am running a 16 foot duroboat, but I am unsure I should rig a electronic pot puller for such a small boat. However, the lighter ones sound pretty tempting since they can attatch to my downrigger mount.

Quote Originally Posted by breausaw View Post
    , but if it bogs I tie off the line and pull into deep water tell the snag comes loose; only had to do that twice last year.
    Be very carefull if your tying off to the boat and pulling, I almost swamped my 22ft Searunner the first year I had it by doing that same thing. Now if I need to give it a little extra tug off the bottom I wrap on a cleat just enough so I can let loose of the end in my hand and it will slip through. Depending on conditions you can end up like those football players a couple of years ago down in Florida, that lesson killed 3 of them. Personally I was very lucky, one of those mistakes I will not make again. The same thing can happen using the anchor buoy, that's why whenever I pull my anchor I take off slow to make sure it starts coming off the bottom. Be safe.

Can one just lift the pots about 30 feet and then tie off on a cleat and begin to throttle? It seems like pots would snag less and not become damaged in the process. Maybe I am missing something.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast