Thread: P.O.W. alpine lakes?

Default P.O.W. alpine lakes?

I'm tossing around the idea of another alpine deer hunt like I did on Kodiak in August of '08. I like to go to new places and I'm thinking of P.O.W. this time. Not as much bear danger as Kodiak so I'll be much more comfortable taking all three of my kids. It doesn't hurt that my AK airmiles can get me to Ketchikan as cheap as Kodiak and that I have cheap room and board in K-town.

Anybody have any experience with P.O.W. that early? Do the float accessable lakes get heavy use for this type of hunting? and lastly, any recommendations on hunting oriented air taxis in Ketchikan?

PM me if you have info you'd like to share that you don't want out in public
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Float accessible lakes, IMO, get pretty crowded in August. Especially the ones with forest service cabins. You might have a few more options if you tented, but we do love the alpine lakes so there is competition.

I would recommend Misty Fiords Outfitting for your air transport. Talk to Dave Doyon. He's one of the best locals and could probably recommend some spots for you. 225-5515

I was planning on tenting. The nice thing about deer hunting vs. sheep or moose hunting is that it's not a big deal to have a couple groups on the lake.

It's pretty cool that both Misty Fiords and Taquan list estimated prices for various lakes. Make price estimation easy.

Good luck.

I hate the net..is there a sarcasm smiley after the "good luck" ?

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    I hate the net..is there a sarcasm smiley after the "good luck" ?
    Let me thing about it.

Default non-island hunter

Just remember that most of the area and lakes on POW don't open till August 16th. Federal law.

Also POW really does not have that many alpine lakes to choose from.

Default Black Bears

There are lots of Black Bears on POW, lots of deer to, Gun shot equals dinner bell.

Default Doug

Another option is to drive and hike up and camp. After August 16th...

Get a map, study it, head up. WOn't be a Kodiak hunt for sure but you'll appreciate it none the less.

Good luck, get the kids a nice one.

Gooch
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

I've never had problems with a black bear running to a "dinner bell". But you never know I guess. I never worry about black bears, and I live right in the middle of a good population.

Lots of mountains on POW and all of them have bucks. Take your pick and hike a little further than the next guy and you never know what you could run into. August can be foggy though.

Also POW really does not have that many alpine lakes to choose from.
    My eyes hurt from looking at Google earth and that's exactly what I'm finding out

AK-Doug.

I would disagree with the multi-party/lake deer hunting/camping you mentioned. There are only a few true "alpine lakes" on POW, and those ones can easily be hunted by one group, not multiple in my opinion... just my 2c..
    I wouldn't just look at POW, you could hunt the mainland near Ketchikan or even Baranof out of Sitka. You may get a goat and a deer! good luck

I try to avoid the big alpine mountains unless I know I'm the first guy up there or do a late alpine season hunt after the other hunters are all done and the deer have had a few weeks to come out of hiding.

Lots of good mountains that don't have much "true alpine", but have lots of sub-alpine that can hold good amounts of deer.

Default ???

I'd be pretty pissed if some doozer flew into the same lake as me, and then tried to tell me it was no big deal.
    Alpine is awesome...

Do you own the lake? Sometimes we just have to hike off in different directions. I've had people fly in to the same lake as me, sometimes I've flown in on them when there was no choice. A 1/2 mile long lake opens up a lot of country.

Akdoug,

I don't know how your boys hike, but you might consider flying into a lower elevation lake and hiking to a mountain that doesn't have road/plane access. Odds are much better at running into some great deer hunting if you have to hike a long distance from the plane.

That's where we are at right now in our planning process. We're getting info from several different directions that a hike in might not be a bad idea.

This was supposed to be a fall 2010 trip, but I had to spend a bunch of airline miles over the weekend to get my wife to Montana for a family emergency. Looks like 2011 for us now. It's a birthday trip for my daughter and she's agreed that she'd like to have her brother along. She gets to choose Kodiak or POW and I just want to have the info ready for her when she starts to ask the questions.