Thread: Colman Pro Cat vs. Mr. Buddy Heater

Default Colman Pro Cat vs. Mr. Buddy Heater

So, I'm looking for a heater to put in my 20 Sportsman. Which heater would be beter suited for the job of keeping the cabin fairly warm?

Rob

The buddy heater has auto shut-off features which can be very important on a boat...had one fall twice.

The Coleman is only 3K btu and would have a hard time keeping up with the draft in a soft top. The Buddy runs @ 4K on low IIRC.

+1 Mr Buddy...

Mr. Buddy has been a good reliable heater for me.

I like the Buddy Heater, I run it off a large tank that I keep on the fish deck so I'm not constantly changing the small bottles.

Default Cool

Well, Thanks for the info. Great thing about forums like this. It keeps people from wasting money on gear that doesn't do the job. Thanks again.

Rob

Default Buddy heater

for my 22" hewes soft top, does the job!
    2003 220 Hewescraft Sea Runner 115 Yam'y, Soft Top "Schmidt Happens"

Default Big Buddy

I bought the Coleman for my 22 ft hardtop. It is fine on a cool summer night but it wasn't nearly enough on a cold winter day. I bought the Big Buddy and it works great in the winter.

Default I second the big buddy

Rob,
    I have the Mr big buddy in my searunner and it keeps it plenty warm enough for spring bear trips and early halibut trips also. I keep a 20lb bottle attached and can run it forever on that size bottle. Do not waste your time and money on the 1 lb bottles cause they always run out way too quickly. It does create alot of moisture though, but thats why i am moving to an Espar this year.. my 2 cents

David

Default Mr. Buddy it will be then.

Thanks David. When we gonna get together and catch some fish?

Note that the moisture produced by Buddy (I have one, too) is part of the exhaust. That exhaust includes CO2 and potentially CO, so even though it's touted as being an "indoor" heater, you must have adequate ventilation through your cabin space to run this heater inside.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Default Big buddy

I got the Coleman, Mr Buddy and the Big Buddy heaters. No comparison between the Coleman and Buddy heater and I haven't use the Buddy since I got the Big Buddy has the extra when you needed it.

Default Rob

When you show me a good fishing hole or two... I only have a good spot or two out of Whittier. I prefer the bear hunting in whittier to everything else out there anyways. This spring i believe i am going to be trying Homer or Seward for blackies though. Keep in touch it's all just around the corner now!!

David

Thumbs up Big Buddy

It fits perfect on the step between the consols on hewes. There's screw slots on the back to hold it in place. This is the perfect spot to keep your windows clear. I put a 5lb cylinder in the bow and ran a hose to it. Had to drill a hole in the step, but no big deal. It's a great setup.
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public