Thread: pow bear hunt

Thumbs up pow bear hunt

Thinking about a pow bear hunt .Heres what I was thinking Fly into ktn day one day 2 catch ferry across to POW .Camp out days 3 thru 5 hunting and fishing .catch ferry back day 6 fly out day 7 .Any ideas

None that I can think of........

Default Nope

Go forth and hunt!

Report when done.

Repeat as necessary.

Default POW

When will you be there? I will be heading over at the end of May. It should be a good trip for you, I hope. Have you thought of a FS cabin or renting a vehicle?

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    None that I can think of........
    Just Robert's and everbody's 2nd cousin's plan!!!

If you could get into Ketchikan early in the day, I would fly over to POW. It will give you another 1/2 day to hunt for a little more money? Just a thought.

My hunting partner called me last week with this same idea. I have a friend who homesteaded at Thorne Bay 28 years ago. He tells me that every year they take 3-400 bears off POW by hunting...what that means is that *big* bears are getting harder to find. Still, pleanty of them though, just don't expect bears like you could find around the smaller towns on the mainland.

Regardless of ferry vrs flying, it has been my experience that having a vehicle once you get there is very important. If you can arrange it, a skiff is even better! Tons of logging roads to travel over. If you go late in the fall you can go for Sitka Blacktails as well. Fun hunt either way. Go have fun!
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Are you planning on hunting from the land or are you going to float?

Default havent decided

Been thinking about renting a truck camping and stalking with my bow. also thought about forgetting the truck and maybe renting a skiff for a couple of days .Still Thinking about what or how to do

POW bear hunting isn’t what it was 10 years ago, lot’s of hunting pressure over the years has taken it toll! The residents of the island and the Fish & Game saw this coming, but did nothing about it!.....well till last year, the state regulated the no-residents to no motorized transportation in the fall, other than using a boat…….a little, to late in my opinion!....but just that’s me..

However……..there are huge bears left on the island…..just not as many!....you need to look at the remote areas if you want a hog!….south end, and some of the north end of the island is where I’d start looking. Looking for bears from a boat is by far the best method!

I would hunt early, med- April and beat the crowds, if those big bear get spooked once, that’s it!, they won’t come back out onto the beach for days or weeks and maybe till next year!.....seen it happen….